Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CBS Nixes Gay Dating Ad During Super Bowl
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Johnny Angel
http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/29/news/compa..._ad_super_bowl/

So much for "they'll take money from anyone".

Dating service offered straight up (no pun) cash and CBS declined--but Focus on the Family's money is good.

Assholes.
terrydactyl
first, a pro-life commercial with Tebow and mom but no pro gay dating commercial allowed?

i see what the right means with their 'liberal' media now
JodyThePig
Gay dating rarely results in unwanted pregnancy.
allie
Also, as much as I can't stand Gloria Allred and her media whoring, she's questioning the truthiness of Tebow's Mom's story about being in the Philippines and having a doctor recommend abortion when it was/is illegal there.
tmann

American families gathered around the tv for an afternoon of football need this broadcast directly into their living rooms about as much as they need an amplified islamic call to prayer announced by loudspeaker all around their neighborhoods.
allie
QUOTE(creature of habit @ Jan 30 2010, 12:55 PM) *

American families gathered around the tv for an afternoon of football need this broadcast directly into their living rooms about as much as they need an amplified islamic call to prayer announced by loudspeaker all around their neighborhoods.

Good thing they don't advertise drugs that makes your dick hard.
Johnny Angel
QUOTE(creature of habit @ Jan 30 2010, 01:55 PM) *

They need talking frogs hawking Budweiser a lot more though, right?

What a fucking moron.
terrydactyl
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ Jan 30 2010, 01:00 PM) *

They need talking frogs hawking Budweiser a lot more though, right?

What a fucking moron.

teabagger w/o any tea
Johnny Angel
QUOTE(allie @ Jan 30 2010, 01:59 PM) *

Good thing they don't advertise drugs that makes your dick hard.

As long as said hard dick doesn't go into another male's whatever or wherever, apparently.

As per "Islamic call to prayer": Chruch bells have rung every Sunday in every neighborhhod this Jew has lived in all his life, including in liberal Hollywood and the homo enclave, San Francisco. And I could care less. It's OK for Christians to broadcast via bells and TV, but God (Allah) forbid anyone else does.

I really think "creature of habit" should change its name to "results of cousins fucking". It's that retarded.
JodyThePig
It's good to know that political debate has gotten so dull as to encompass television commercials.

Things to do today:

1). Nap
2). Man ramparts
Johnny Angel
QUOTE(JodyThePig @ Jan 30 2010, 02:10 PM) *

It's good to know that political debate has gotten so dull as to encompass television commercials.

Things to do today:

1). Nap
2). Man ramparts

The first shot fired at Fort Sumter was actually fired over the North's belief that Miller Lite tasted great and the South's that it was "less filling".

That was gonna be in Zinn's follow-up, but he died.
tmann
Dearborn Michigan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOzhgeGX8BM

wouldn't it be great for Cambridge? burkas too!
screeg neegis
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ Jan 30 2010, 01:18 PM) *

The first shot fired at Fort Sumter was actually fired over the North's belief that Miller Lite tasted great and the South's that it was "less filling".

That was gonna be in Zinn's follow-up, but he died.

laughing.gif

You know, Lincoln would never have been able to gather political support to wage war on the South if they had not attacked that fort.

Those stupid fucks - Lincoln actually supported an amendment to the Constitution to let the slave states remain so - his opposition to expanding slavery to the western territories and banning slavery in new states upset the wealthy elites in the South so they created a media campaign against Lincoln and pushed seccession through the southern legislatures.

They should have left it at that and they would have succeeded.
ArtGuy
Thanks. I was challenged on that yesterday.

QUOTE(ArtGuy @ Jan 29 2010, 09:30 AM) *

Considering evangelical Christians' long history of bending the truth -- the Tebows' story of Tim's is birth is pretty unlikely.

Of course their stories are exaggerated -- they're third world Missionaries -- it's their bread and butter. It's all about showmanship, baby!

His dad:
"When I was out in the mountains in Mindanao, back in '86, I was showing a film and preaching that night. I was weeping over the millions of babies being [aborted] in America, and I prayed, 'God, if you give me a son, if you give me Timmy, I'll raise him to be a preacher.'"

He's so concerned about America's abortions, he moved to the Philippines.

Abortion is illegal in the Philippines. From Wikipedia:
One study estimated that, despite legal restrictions, in 1994 there were 400,000 abortions performed illegally in the Philippines and 80,000 hospitalizations of women for abortion-related complications. 12% of all maternal deaths in 1994 were due to unsafe abortion according to the Department of Health of the Philippines. Two-thirds of Filipino women who have abortions attempt to self-induce or seek solutions from those who practice folk medicine.

Johnny Angel
QUOTE(creature of habit @ Jan 30 2010, 02:24 PM) *

There are over 100,000 Muslims in Dearborn. They're called to prayer. Like Christians and bells--no more of that, too? They're a sizable percentage of the population there, whose MOTHERFUCKING RELIGIOUS FREEDOM IS PROTECTED BY THE MOTHER FUCKING CONSTITUTION, YOU FUCKING SHIT JAR.

This affects you or anyone else how? I daresay, the people of Eastern Michigan have other, far more pressing issues than that. What with, oh, unemployment at 22%.

You hate the muslims so much, we're fighting a sect of them in Afghanistan right now. Enlist already.
JodyThePig
QUOTE(creature of habit @ Jan 30 2010, 01:24 PM) *

Dearborn was Henry Ford's hometown and the site of the newspaper he owned, the Dearborn Independent, in which he published excerpts from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion to warn Americans of the impending International Jewish Conspiracy, so the present status of Dearborn as a major settlement site for Islamic immigrants is certainly an amusing coincidence.

Also, get bent.
terrydactyl

what is it with you righties proclivity for hate and purposeful misinformation?
screeg neegis

Interesting fact:
There is a mosque in Cambridge with a parking lot in the rear that faces a synagogue on the next block over. I could be mistaken but I believe they share that parking lot.

Johnny Angel
(From my friend Pete, courtesy Facebook):

I wonder if ManCrunch attempted to buy time betting that a turndown would give them at least as much publicity as the ad itself. After all, they wouldn't be hitting their target demographic very effectively if the ad actually ran.

ArtGuy
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ Jan 30 2010, 02:42 PM) *

I wonder if ManCrunch attempted to buy time betting that a turndown would give them at least as much publicity as the ad itself. After all, they wouldn't be hitting their target demographic very effectively if the ad actually ran.

Also rejected:
AshleyMadison.com, which matches married people looking to have affairs, got plenty of press last month when they announced that they'd be placing this ad in the Super Bowl program.
IPB Image
Johnny Angel
CBS' own hypocrisy doesn't come anywhere near that of Dobson's "holy warriors" themselves:

http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/anti-tales.html
Flipper

There's absolutely nothing hypocritical about this business decision. The network people simply (and probably correctly) realized that this kind of ad wasn't going to be widely well received by a Super Bowl audience, whereas a Pro-life ad might be.

Anyone viewing this as some kind of civil rights tragedy is an idiot.
Johnny Angel
QUOTE(Flipper @ Jan 31 2010, 12:24 PM) *

There's absolutely nothing hypocritical about this business decision. The network people simply (and probably correctly) realized that this kind of ad wasn't going to be widely well received by a Super Bowl audience, whereas a Pro-life ad might be.

So, the airing of an outright fairy tale (Tebow's mother claims that Filipino physicians urged an abortion of little Timmy, abortion is illegal in the Phillipines, the likelyhood of her story being true is next to nil) is fine.

The endless airing of erectile dysfunction drugs, whose sole purpose is to help men--gay and straight--to be able to fuck, also fine.

Two dudes kissing? Unacceptable.

CBS' "standards and practices" begin and end at "we don't want a barrage of email generated by a handful of uptight psuedo moralists" (the uproar over Janet Jackson was almost entirely a creation of one zealot named Brent Bozell). No, it is not a civil rights issue, it's an issue of two-faced corporate cowardice.
mhaverty
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ Jan 30 2010, 02:42 PM) *

Your freind Pete is a smart guy. I'm being serious.

I'm sure he also understands that CBS took the Tebow ad knowing damn well it will boost their credibility with the fox set. Fox kicks the the other cable news outlet's asses everynight in every time slot. And... all day. Why not try to be the fox of the broadcast set?
Johnny Angel
QUOTE(mhaverty @ Jan 31 2010, 12:46 PM) *

Your freind Pete is a smart guy. I'm being serious.

I'm sure he also understands that CBS took the Tebow ad knowing damn well it will boost their credibility with the fox set. Fox kicks the the other cable news outlet's asses everynight in every time slot. And... all day. Why not try to be the fox of the broadcast set?

2008 SuperBowl audience: 98 million people.

Fox average audience:, day part: 2.9 million.

Given that a fair amount of Fox viewers will be watching the SB anyway, where on earth did you come up with this improbable/ludicrous theory? Other than "as someone whose every thought revolves around/ is utterly obsessed with partisan politics that believes everyone thinks like I do".

"Boost their credibility with the Fox set"? In media, especially in a one time event, "credibility" is not an issue. In fact, in all media there are only two major considerations now--revenues and debt. And not getting complaints, which runs third.

So, by running this ad (in your mind), CBS is calculating a huge boost in new conservative (and generally elderly, which they don't really seek anyway) fans who ALREADY HAVE A NETWORK OF THEIR OWN, WHICH THEY'LL NEVER LEAVE.

Hopeless.

Flipper
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ Jan 31 2010, 11:41 AM) *

So, the airing of an outright fairy tale (Tebow's mother claims that Filipino physicians urged an abortion of little Timmy, abortion is illegal in the Phillipines, the likelyhood of her story being true is next to nil) is fine.

The endless airing of erectile dysfunction drugs, whose sole purpose is to help men--gay and straight--to be able to fuck, also fine.

Two dudes kissing? Unacceptable.

CBS' "standards and practices" begin and end at "we don't want a barrage of email generated by a handful of uptight psuedo moralists" (the uproar over Janet Jackson was almost entirely a creation of one zealot named Brent Bozell). No, it is not a civil rights issue, it's an issue of two-faced corporate cowardice.

The point you're missing is that this isn't about the nature of the content of a given set of commercials, comparatively inane, silly or otherwise. It's about a lumbering corporate megalith rolling the dice on projected and subsequent television ratings.

Is it base pandering?

Of course.

But you have to realize that this kind of shit, where it comes down to ad revenue is %100 equal opportunity. If the networks/a corporate sponsor like Ford though a Ford commercial with two guys barebacking in a pink F-150 would attract a shitload of viewers/sell a shitload of trucks, they'd go for it in a heartbeat.

The only way turning the gay ad money down would be hypocritical is if it wasn't a pure matter of targeted demographics, which it totally is.

Misplaced outrage over this whole deal.
Flipper
The gay targeted Supebowl Ad has already happened anyway.

Memba Carson Kressley pecker-footing it down the steet to the sounds of "Stayin' Alive", then turning around to check out a buff young dude's ass?

It was actually a pretty funny spot.
Johnny Angel
QUOTE(Flipper @ Jan 31 2010, 01:08 PM) *

The point you're missing is that this isn't about the nature of the content of a given set of commercials, comparatively inane, silly or otherwise. It's about a lumbering corporate megalith rolling the dice on projected and subsequent television ratings.

Is it base pandering?

Of course.

But you have to realize that this kind of shit, where it comes down to ad revenue is %100 equal opportunity. If the networks/a corporate sponsor like Ford though a Ford commercial with two guys barebacking in a pink F-150 would attract a shitload of viewers/sell a shitload of trucks, they'd go for it in a heartbeat.

The only way turning the gay ad money down would be hypocritical is if it wasn't a pure matter of targeted demographics, which it totally is.

Misplaced outrage over this whole deal.

You're partially right, of course--but if ratings were the only issue, the ManCrunch ad would have been accepted and, in fact, hyped.

The reason the ad was nixed was solely because they didn't want L Brent Bozell and William Donahue (figuratively) up their asses. The Janet Jackson idiocy scared the shit out of them--and for what, Flipper? A cursory check revealed that 90% of the complaints about her (awesome) nipple were generated by Bozell himself off a single website. You'd think they'd have learned but they didn't.

Most likely scenario is that ManCrunch knew it was in a win win: the ad airs, a freakout, and it replays 3,000,000 times on YouTube and DOES hit its target demo. It doesn't and now millions of people have heard of them that never would have. The loser here is CBS, who turned down free money out of silliness.

mhaverty
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ Jan 31 2010, 12:06 PM) *

2008 SuperBowl audience: 98 million people.

Fox average audience:, day part: 2.9 million.

Given that a fair amount of Fox viewers will be watching the SB anyway, where on earth did you come up with this improbable/ludicrous theory? Other than "as someone whose every thought revolves around/ is utterly obsessed with partisan politics that believes everyone thinks like I do".

"Boost their credibility with the Fox set"? In media, especially in a one time event, "credibility" is not an issue. In fact, in all media there are only two major considerations now--revenues and debt. And not getting complaints, which runs third.

So, by running this ad (in your mind), CBS is calculating a huge boost in new conservative (and generally elderly, which they don't really seek anyway) fans who ALREADY HAVE A NETWORK OF THEIR OWN, WHICH THEY'LL NEVER LEAVE.

Hopeless.

Hey dummy. CBS needs eyeballs on their channel at times other than 60 Minutes and the Superbowl. It's a network that broadcasts 7 days a week 365 days a year.
mhaverty
QUOTE(Flipper @ Jan 31 2010, 11:24 AM) *

100%. Only the far Left can take an ad that says "sometimes the better decision is not to have an abortion" and turn it in to a full on assault on Roe v. Wade. Guess what assholes? Not only are there a large group of people who think abortion is wrong but there is also a huge group who think abortion should simple be safe, rare, and......... legal. Guess what else assholes? This group in the middle thinks Tebow is a kook too.
mhaverty
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ Jan 31 2010, 12:19 PM) *

You're partially right, of course--but if ratings were the only issue, the ManCrunch ad would have been accepted and, in fact, hyped.

The reason the ad was nixed was solely because they didn't want L Brent Bozell and William Donahue (figuratively) up their asses. The Janet Jackson idiocy scared the shit out of them--and for what, Flipper? A cursory check revealed that 90% of the complaints about her (awesome) nipple were generated by Bozell himself off a single website. You'd think they'd have learned but they didn't.

Exactly shithead because it would have cost them money. What was it you said about hopeless?
Johnny Angel
QUOTE(mhaverty @ Jan 31 2010, 01:59 PM) *

Exactly shithead because it would have cost them money. What was it you said about hopeless?

"Dummy", "Shithead".........

Such an angry little man. A frightened little flower.

Running the ad would cost them nothing. Try reading comprehension.
mhaverty
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ Jan 31 2010, 01:06 PM) *

"Dummy", "Shithead".........

Such an angry little man. A frightened little flower.

Running the ad would cost them nothing. Try reading comprehension.

You are the guy who tells us over and over that the reason right wing radio works is because conservatives have to hear what they want to hear and centrists and lefties can tolerate it right? Do the math Mr. Wonderful. Better yet.... let me do it for you since you seem to be a little slower than usual today. Gay ads hurt the image of CBS as a whole network and business because there are millions of fools who will be upset by it and change the station not just during the superbowl but in the future, whereas conservative ads make a lot of people happy and the rest are ambivilent. The decison goes far beyond the 2 million dollars and one program. Understand now? You do understand that the reason networks pay the NFL ridiculous amounts of money to broadcast the bowl isn't to make money on one day but to use it as a vehicle to promote their line up for the rest of the year. After the first burst of ads sit back and count how many plugs and ads there are for the rest of their line up.
Johnny Angel
QUOTE(mhaverty @ Jan 31 2010, 02:17 PM) *

You are the guy who tells us over and over that the reason right wing (talk) radio works is because conservatives have to hear what they want to hear and centrists and lefties can tolerate it right? (well, yeah, and?) Do the math Mr. Wonderful. (talk radio's audience is about 11-13% of the entire radio audience, doesn't the other 87% count jess a little bit more?) Better yet.... let me do it for you since you seem to be a little slower than usual today. Gay ads hurt the image of CBS as a whole network and business (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_&_Grace) because there are millions of fools who will be upset by it and change the station not just during the superbowl but in the future, whereas conservative ads make a lot of (actually some, but not all that many) people happy (hence the lack of controversy, right?) and the rest are ambivilent. (Ahem: according to your reasoning and own words, conservatives are fools. Yet you identify yourself as conservative. WTF?) The decison goes far beyond the 2 million dollars and one program. Understand now? You do understand that the reason networks pay the NFL ridiculous amounts of money to broadcast the bowl isn't to make money on one day but to use it as a vehicle to promote their line up for the rest of the year (it's a one time event in January--CBS' lineup in September has not yet been set)(The actual reason is that it's a ratings bonanza for ONE DAY with a guaranteed enormous audience and ad revenues are high. Period). After the first burst of ads sit back and count how many plugs and ads there are for the rest of their line up. (see above).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.