Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebow
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Hook Operator
I had an Ebow for a few years - I love how these things sound. However, mine spontaneously quit on me one day. I had taken excellent care of it - never dropped it, never knocked it around, always put it back in its little felt scrotum. The little blue LED still comes on, but the thing won't produce sound anymore.

A friend's Ebow shit the bed, too. He took it apart (a nearly impossible task since there are no screws - the thing is filled with hot glue to (a) keep it shut and (b) keep prying eyes from reverse engineering the circuit board. I fixed his problem - it was just bad soldering on some pins.

Inspired by the easy fix of my friend's Ebow, I ripped mine open, only to find the solder points in tact. The problem must be on the circuit board, buried beneath glue.

I went on the lousy Ebow site - I couldn't even find contact information. It's a fucking crime that they charge almost $100 for this piece of shit. The construction is just cheap and awful. I'm not going to buy another; fuck them.
Righteous Indignation Alert
QUOTE(Hook Operator @ Mar 9 2009, 01:32 AM) *

I had an Ebow for a few years - I love how these things sound. However, mine spontaneously quit on me one day. I had taken excellent care of it - never dropped it, never knocked it around, always put it back in its little felt scrotum. The little blue LED still comes on, but the thing won't produce sound anymore.

A friend's Ebow shit the bed, too. He took it apart (a nearly impossible task since there are no screws - the thing is filled with hot glue to (a) keep it shut and (b) keep prying eyes from reverse engineering the circuit board. I fixed his problem - it was just bad soldering on some pins.

Inspired by the easy fix of my friend's Ebow, I ripped mine open, only to find the solder points in tact. The problem must be on the circuit board, buried beneath glue.

I went on the lousy Ebow site - I couldn't even find contact information. It's a fucking crime that they charge almost $100 for this piece of shit. The construction is just cheap and awful. I'm not going to buy another; fuck them.

IPB Image

Problem solved.
Jesus the 33rd
I've never had problems with mine, but this is good to know. thanks.
dtk
there is only 1 company that makes them?

could you make your own?

I also love the sound of them...I'm mostly a drummer but I play a little guitar...
dtk
tom from out of town
IPB Image
elk
QUOTE(Hook Operator @ Mar 9 2009, 01:32 AM) *

Did you check to make sure you had strings on your guitar?
Hook Operator
I suppose I could make my own, after seeing that schematic. I figured they used some exotic components, but the 386 is really common. If I do make my own, it will have a better form factor than the stupid real one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.