Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My fucking LEG
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
benhamean
Goddamn thing has been keeping me up all night for about a week.
I'm now on some pretty sweet muscle relaxers, which made it hard to think/stay awake at work, but at least my leg isn't on fire any more.

Anyone ever have this problem? I'm hoping it doesn't take too long to go away...(It is not a disc issue, its due to spasms, thankfully).
sixpinelbow
I had it due to a ruptured disc. Where are the spasms? Lower back? Lots of stretching helped.
JodyThePig
QUOTE(benhamean @ Feb 26 2009, 01:31 PM) *

Anyone ever have this problem?

I've had this on and off for years. I don't have it as I used to, but I'm still frequently gimpy because of it.

It was the absolute worst during the four or five years I worked in a marine supply warehouse, grappling with and lugging around heavy, giant anchors and boat batteries and four-gallon boxes of lead-based bottomcoat paint, which was a comical combination of a too-little guy wrangling too-big objects with the added bonus of gimp.
Gitfiddler
I have no sympathy for you and your amazing bar with (3) taps, spewing quality brew...

just kidding, I do hope you feel better. Even though I have no medical background and/or expertise in your ailment; I would suggest that you lie down on your altar and let the nectar of the gods ease your pain!

Get well, really.
lisalisa
I woke up one day and had a shooting pain from the back of my butt cheek down my leg. It killed and only painkillers were helpfull.

Went to the doctor and really the only thing I could do was go about my daily life as best as I could and it would heal itself. I couldn't sit nor lie down without pain. Standing was ok and so was lying on my back with my legs over a chair. I even slept like that.

Sorry. Hope you heal quickly. It took about 2 or 3 weeks and then it just went away. I can't even tell you what I did to cause it to happen. Hope I don't ever get it again.

elk
QUOTE(JodyThePig @ Feb 26 2009, 01:35 PM) *

I've had this on and off for years. I don't have it as I used to, but I'm still frequently gimpy because of it.

It was the absolute worst during the four or five years I worked in a marine supply warehouse, grappling with and lugging around heavy, giant anchors and boat batteries and four-gallon boxes of lead-based bottomcoat paint, which was a comical combination of a too-little guy wrangling too-big objects with the added bonus of gimp.

surfing probably didn't help that either. That's the genesis of my sciatic pain. My left leg was basically useless for a couple of weeks early this year. Stretch. If that doesn't work, see a doctor. There are plenty of websites that can show you the stretches to do for sciatica.
sixpinelbow
i once had to stop mid coitus because my sciatica flared up.
Danny Vermin
QUOTE(sixpinelbow @ Feb 26 2009, 01:49 PM) *

IPB Image
benhamean
QUOTE(Gitfiddler @ Feb 26 2009, 01:37 PM) *

I have no sympathy for you and your amazing bar with (3) taps, spewing quality brew...

just kidding, I do hope you feel better. Even though I have no medical background and/or expertise in your ailment; I would suggest that you lie down on your altar and let the nectar of the gods ease your pain!

Get well, really.

I treated it with copious amounts of beer/whiskey/ibuprofen for a couple of days- worked allright for a while, but probably would have led to a massive ulcer...

QUOTE(lisalisa @ Feb 26 2009, 01:37 PM) *

I woke up one day and had a shooting pain from the back of my butt cheek down my leg. It killed and only painkillers were helpfull.

Went to the doctor and really the only thing I could do was go about my daily life as best as I could and it would heal itself. I couldn't sit nor lie down without pain. Standing was ok and so was lying on my back with my legs over a chair. I even slept like that.

Sorry. Hope you heal quickly. It took about 2 or 3 weeks and then it just went away. I can't even tell you what I did to cause it to happen. Hope I don't ever get it again.

The last 2 nights I could lie down to sleep- I still have to get up every 3 hours or so to pop some pills, but before that I couldn't get out of my armchair.

What a whacky/shitty couple of days- sleep for about 1/2 an hour every 8 hours or so, completely lost, watching all sorts of dumbass shit in the middle of the night to take my mind off my leg (luckily, there was a Women Of Ninja Warrior marathon- whacky Japanese obstacle course thingy...)

2 or 3 weeks of this would be allright. I was just starting to fear that this might go on semi-permanently. That would suck balls.
elk
QUOTE(sixpinelbow @ Feb 26 2009, 01:49 PM) *

Oh noes! Herniated n00dz, d00dz.
sixpinelbow
QUOTE(Danny Vermin @ Feb 26 2009, 02:58 PM) *

IPB Image

laughing.gif

more like

IPB Image

allswellgirl
Upward-facing Dog (or maybe start with Cobra)
IPB Image

Pigeon
IPB Image

Yoga Journal - poses for Sciatica
ImIdaho
IPB Image
mfk
i had it a few years ago. wound up in the ER at 3am because after a week of not being able to sleep i was going out of my mind.

They told me i'd have to deal w/ it the rest of my life.

The next day i went to a chiropracter who moved some shit around and i haven't had it in almost 6 years since.
benhamean
QUOTE(allswellgirl @ Feb 26 2009, 02:25 PM) *

IPB Image

Pigeon
IPB Image

QUOTE(mfk @ Feb 26 2009, 02:55 PM) *

i had it a few years ago. wound up in the ER at 3am because after a week of not being able to sleep i was going out of my mind.

They told me i'd have to deal w/ it the rest of my life.

The next day i went to a chiropracter who moved some shit around and i haven't had it in almost 6 years since.

My doctor is a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy)- for those who don't know, these are equivalent to MDs but are a little more involved in manipulation (like chiropracters), and advocate some wholistic treatments (stretching, yoga, that kind of thing).
Anyway, this guy was awesome- he prescribed the drugs, but mainly he ascertained where the nerve was getting pinched and cranked the shit out of me- I was out of allignment.

This alleviated the pain by about 75%.

(Allswellgirl- I actually tried that pushup-looking thingy, but it didn't help. What 'fixed' me was more of a sideways twist).
His Daddy
QUOTE(benhamean @ Feb 26 2009, 04:25 PM) *

My doctor is a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy)- for those who don't know, these are equivalent to MDs but are a little more involved in manipulation (like chiropracters), and advocate some wholistic treatments (stretching, yoga, that kind of thing).

I was just going to recommend something similar. I went to see a massage therapist who was cross certified in a ton of manipulative certifications (was like halfway to being a chiropractor). Saw her for like 6 months, and started a stretching regimen, and it's like I'm 21 again. Not even slow in the morning or stiff after sitting down for a long time anymore.

Oh, and take a B complex vitamin once a day, too. Helps rebuild the tissues that you tear when stretching and realigning your inner guts.
TEX
QUOTE(allswellgirl @ Feb 26 2009, 03:25 PM) *

IPB Image

Pigeon
IPB Image

Thank you for this handy reminder!!!
Tron Ruiz
Little things will throw your back all kindsa outta wack. Do you keep your wallet in your back pocket while you're sitting? I know it sounds stupid but Eric from Honkeyball had a pretty bad sciatic problem and it went away when he started keeping his wallet in his front pocket. true story. My pops also had a bad sciatic problem from years of being a letter carrier and wearing the big bag on one shoulder.
TEX
QUOTE(Tron Ruiz @ Feb 26 2009, 04:39 PM) *

Little things will throw your back all kindsa outta wack. Do you keep your wallet in your back pocket while you're sitting? I know it sounds stupid but Eric from Honkeyball had a pretty bad sciatic problem and it went away when he started keeping his wallet in his front pocket. true story. My pops also had a bad sciatic problem from years of being a letter carrier and wearing the big bag on one shoulder.

I have begun removing the wallet all day sitting at work.
Thunder Horse
QUOTE(ImIdaho @ Feb 26 2009, 02:47 PM) *

IPB Image

kahn is not looking too well these days
mfk
QUOTE(TEX @ Feb 26 2009, 03:50 PM) *

I have begun removing the wallet all day sitting at work.

i ditched my old fat wallent and got one of those thin flip-wallets and only use it for a few cards and money and got rid of all the rest of the shit i've been carrying around for no reason. Never even notice it when i'm sitting anymore.
FrankD
QUOTE(Danny Vermin @ Feb 26 2009, 01:58 PM) *

IPB Image

laughing.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif
FrankD
QUOTE(ImIdaho @ Feb 26 2009, 02:47 PM) *

IPB Image

hay bake.....so bake

poor herc

what the heck?
FrankD
QUOTE(benhamean @ Feb 26 2009, 03:25 PM) *

Anyway, this guy was awesome- he prescribed the drugs, but mainly he ascertained where the nerve was getting pinched and cranked the shit out of me- I was out of allignment.

This alleviated the pain by about 75%.

(Allswellgirl- I actually tried that pushup-looking thingy, but it didn't help. What 'fixed' me was more of a sideways twist).

get a Wii fit
FrankD
Fat Wallet Syndrome...runs in my family, I NEVER keep it in my back pocket anymore
FrankD
Eat a bag of oranges, maybe you have the Scurvy
His Daddy
QUOTE(FrankD @ Feb 26 2009, 10:31 PM) *

Fat Wallet Syndrome...runs in my family, I NEVER keep it in my back pocket anymore

You got a cute sister? I'd be happy to massage her back every night if she's got the fat wallet. I could use me a sugarmomma.
FrankD
QUOTE(His Daddy @ Feb 26 2009, 11:14 PM) *

You got a cute sister? I'd be happy to massage her back every night if she's got the fat wallet. I could use me a sugarmomma.

that would be cool.

my sister doesn't carry a wallet though.
Mob Hit Greg
Feel better man. I woman at my job just had it and she said it was one of the worst pains she's ever experienced. She's 100% now and it didn't take too long. Good vibes your way.
Colt45
strengthen yr core-- yr lower back and abdominals ---

sounds counter-intuitive-- exercising into the area that is producing the pain-- but seriously this is working for me and i've had slipped disc problems for years

look up some exercises online - but these 3 basics are what the chiro prescribed- start off slow but do them daily- its gonna hurt at first and you might think yr f'n yrself up further but hold the positions and breathe

laying immobile and taking aspirin and using heating pads and/or ice only helps so much and doesn't do anything to prevent future injuries- strengthening the core does

seriously , helps

Core Stability Exercises
Static Floor Exercises

Plank
Hold a straight body position, supported on elbows and toes. Brace the abdominals and maintain a straight body line through feet, hips and head.

AS DEMONSTRATED BY IMIDAHO
IPB Image

Side plank
Lie on one side, ensuring the top hip is above the bottom hip. Push up until there is a straight body line through feet, hips and head. Keep the elbow under the shoulder. Lower under control and repeat on opposite side.

AS DEMONSTRATED BY MR SHHHH
IPB Image

Bridge
Lie on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Squeeze your gluteals and then push your hips up until there is a straight line through knee and hip to upper body and shoulders remain on the floor.

AS DEMONSTRATED BY DANNY VERMIN
IPB Image

robonthecape
Massage can sometimes work wonders. Can be pricey though. You may want to check out the massage school in Cambridge(though I'm sure Boston has reputable schools as well), and ask for student massages, but only with someone far into their training. Students need to give 500 hours of free massage to get certified. The school may take a small fee, however, if you like that persons work you can arrange to have work done outside the school, and then you are just paying out a tip.

Also, many chiropractors are now complementing their practice with massage therapists, though it might only be for a 15 minute stretch. Nice, but not nearly as affective as a one hour session.

Good luck
benhamean
QUOTE(Colt45 @ Feb 27 2009, 09:45 AM) *

strengthen yr core-- yr lower back and abdominals ---

sounds counter-intuitive-- exercising into the area that is producing the pain-- but seriously this is working for me and i've had slipped disc problems for years
look up some exercises online - but these 3 basics are what the chiro prescribed- start off slow but do them daily- its gonna hurt at first and you might think yr f'n yrself up further but hold the positions and breathe

I agree with this, wholeheartedly. When I was able to excercise, I always had crunches/twists/vacuums/ and reverse situps as part of every session.

I think I just need this shit to settlle down (its getting there, slowly but surely), then make sure to stay loose, and strong- as helpfully suggested above.
lisalisa
QUOTE(benhamean @ Feb 27 2009, 10:12 AM) *

I agree with this, wholeheartedly. When I was able to excercise, I always had crunches/twists/vacuums/ and reverse situps as part of every session.

I think I just need this shit to settlle down (its getting there, slowly but surely), then make sure to stay loose, and strong- as helpfully suggested above.

Yeah I was going to add that at the moment I'm sure the idea of those exercises is out the window. But soon you will be able to think about that stuff. Really! Hang in there. This too shall pass!

ImIdaho
In all seriousness, i do hope you find some relief. There's nothing more annoying than a constant pain you can't reach.
benhamean
QUOTE(ImIdaho @ Feb 27 2009, 11:48 AM) *

In all seriousness, i do hope you find some relief. There's nothing more annoying than a constant pain you can't reach.

Thanks- it's getting there, but I'm pretty medicated (and hence pretty fucking boring) most of the time. I conk out about 8 at night, but have to get up 2 or 3 times for at least an hour, so I'm a zombie...

BUT, its getting a little better every day.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
woodymq
QUOTE(allswellgirl @ Feb 26 2009, 02:25 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

I would have sex wit all this white girlz.
FrankD
QUOTE(Colt45 @ Feb 27 2009, 09:45 AM) *

Side plank
Lie on one side, ensuring the top hip is above the bottom hip. Push up until there is a straight body line through feet, hips and head. Keep the elbow under the shoulder. Lower under control and repeat on opposite side.

oops, I've been doing Wii Fit "push up and side plank" wrong according to this info....
FrankD
QUOTE(woodymq @ Feb 27 2009, 01:52 PM) *

IPB Image

I would have sex wit all this white girlz.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.