Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Waldorf Schools and the cult of Anthrosophy via
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Charlemagne
I have seen a lot of Waldorf Schools around and assumed they were sort of progressive type schools like Montessori. I have spent the past two days reading about them and they are really very bizarre. Rudolph Steiner (the founder of Waldorf) was an Austrian born philosopher who got into all sorts of mysticism. He developed this systematic quasi-religion called Anthrosophy. It is hard to explain it but their is an undercurrent of Eugenics involved. I think a lot of progressive parents are attracted to these schools because they seem so artistically orientated and their is a tinge of New Age-ness to it all. However, the more one reads about this and if becomes a bit more disturbing. These schools are sprouting up all over the place now. I am pretty sure they are pubically funded too. I know Sweden has looked into them but so far our DOE seems to be taken in by them. I have to say, I am trying to keep an open mind but the more I research, the more it seems like a very strange cult.

*Yes, I know there is a relativist argument about Catholic schools being semi-cults (and maybe even the Public School System itself). I really will not counter relativist arguments because I would like to have more focus on these Waldorf Schools. Does anyone have any info on them or experience with them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjjU9OcANgY...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSlN2oeLj_A...feature=related

http://www.waldorfcritics.org/active/links.html

*Funny, I always thought Waldorf Schools were just kind of "hippie". They seem very creepy to me now.
peeweeswafer
My grandson attends the one in Shelburne, VT. This is his second year. He and his parents love it. It's a very nurturing environment- each teacher follows his/her class from kindergarden through 8th grade, I believe. Not a cultist environment at all. He's learning german and french, has music classes, etc. His parents could be classified as a modern hippie type. The majority of students come from well-to-do families. My kids don't fit that profile- they're getting financial assistance from the school. I haven't visited the school yet, but from what little I know, each school is run independently and there will be some variations in philosophy, etc.
whatthefuck
QUOTE(peeweeswafer @ Nov 19 2008, 11:58 AM) *

He's learning german and french

Why German and French?

confused1.gif
whatthefuck
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 10:51 AM) *

I have seen a lot of Waldorf Schools around and assumed they were sort of progressive type schools like Montessori.

So are the Montessori schools different?
allswellgirl

I have seen a lot of Waldorf Schools around and assumed they were sort of progressive type schools like Montessori. I have spent the past two days reading about them and they are really very bizarre. Rudolph Steiner (the founder of Waldorf) was an Austrian born philosopher who got into all sorts of mysticism. He developed this systematic quasi-religion called Anthrosophy. It is hard to explain it but their is an undercurrent of Eugenics involved. I think a lot of progressive parents are attracted to these schools because they seem so artistically orientated and their is a tinge of New Age-ness to it all. However, the more one reads about this and if becomes a bit more disturbing. These schools are sprouting up all over the place now. I am pretty sure they are pubically funded too. I know Sweden has looked into them but so far our DOE seems to be taken in by them. I have to say, I am trying to keep an open mind but the more I research, the more it seems like a very strange cult.

*Yes, I know there is a relativist argument about Catholic schools being semi-cults (and maybe even the Public School System itself). I really will not counter relativist arguments because I would like to have more focus on these Waldorf Schools. Does anyone have any info on them or experience with them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjjU9OcANgY...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSlN2oeLj_A...feature=related

http://www.waldorfcritics.org/active/links.html

*Funny, I always thought Waldorf Schools were just kind of "hippie". They seem very creepy to me now.

If you think about it, aren't we ALL pubically funded?
Charlemagne
QUOTE(whatthefuck @ Nov 19 2008, 01:05 PM) *

So are the Montessori schools different?

Yeah...Montessori is more of an educational theory (progressive). Waldorf is built upon Anthroposophy (it is not always taught directly but it is an influence in the overall learning). Anyway, I have to say that I am fascinated with Waldorf of late.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(allswellgirl @ Nov 19 2008, 01:10 PM) *

If you think about it, aren't we ALL pubically funded?

To some extent...yes.
peeweeswafer
QUOTE(whatthefuck @ Nov 19 2008, 12:03 PM) *

Why German and French?

confused1.gif

Steiner was austrian.
Charlemagne
Apparently black crayons are not allowed at Steiner schools (preschool?). I have no idea how true or pervasive this is....it did seem that Rudolph Steiner had some very intense theories on the importance of colors.
peeweeswafer
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 12:13 PM) *

Yeah...Montessori is more of an educational theory (progressive). Waldorf is built upon Anthroposophy (it is not always taught directly but it is an influence in the overall learning). Anyway, I have to say that I am fascinated with Waldorf of late.

I started to check out some of the sites in the last link you posted. So far what I'm getting is that people object to a philosophy that is not traditionally christian. They mention buddhist influences, etc. Doesn't sound too alarming to me- just a different life philosophy/spirituality.

The kids do celebrate all the traditional holidays and different faiths are represented.
peeweeswafer
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 12:19 PM) *

Apparently black crayons are not allowed at Steiner schools (preschool?). I have no idea how true or pervasive this is....it did seem that Rudolph Steiner had some very intense theories on the importance of colors.

I'll have to ask about that.
Color is important. Many studies done on the effects of color on people's moods, etc. Color is critical to feng shui. Color is critical to quilting. smile.gif
allswellgirl

pubically funded

*cough*

IPB Image

I was trying to make a joke about your misspelling.
FWIW, I worked with a Waldorf grad and she was one of the most creative and articulate people under 30 that I've met.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(peeweeswafer @ Nov 19 2008, 01:21 PM) *

I started to check out some of the sites in the last link you posted. So far what I'm getting is that people object to a philosophy that is not traditionally christian. They mention buddhist influences, etc. Doesn't sound too alarming to me- just a different life philosophy/spirituality.

The kids do celebrate all the traditional holidays and different faiths are represented.

It is Rudolph Stenier's Eugenics connection and the influence of colors in the schools in interesting. Anyway, you do have a relative at the school so you know more about this than I ever could. I still find the Steiner a very interesting person. There seems to be a mystique built around him at these schools.

peeweeswafer
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 12:25 PM) *

It is Rudolph Stenier's Eugenics connection and the influence of colors in the schools in interesting. Anyway, you do have a relative at the school so you know more about this than I ever could. I still find the Steiner a very interesting person. There seems to be a mystique built around him at these schools.

I really don't know that much- my daughter and her husband researched it pretty thoroughly and know other people who had graduated from the school. There is a prevailing philosophy of social responsibility but not selectivity. I hope to visit it soon and meet my grandson's teacher. I do know they limit media access after school during the week so that the days lessons aren't immediately overwritten a soon as they leave the classroom, which I think is a great idea. He gets plenty of video games and tv on the weekends smile.gif
Charlemagne
QUOTE(peeweeswafer @ Nov 19 2008, 03:01 PM) *

I really don't know that much- my daughter and her husband researched it pretty thoroughly and know other people who had graduated from the school. There is a prevailing philosophy of social responsibility but not selectivity. I hope to visit it soon and meet my grandson's teacher. I do know they limit media access after school during the week so that the days lessons aren't immediately overwritten a soon as they leave the classroom, which I think is a great idea. He gets plenty of video games and tv on the weekends smile.gif

I have been trying to take a "reasoned" look at the place. There are some things about it that just are odd...the ban of black crayons and the overall fear of the color black. I think this takes on more weight given Steiner's writings about the superiority of the white race and his obsession with Eugenics.
LocalWiseMan
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 12:25 PM) *

It is Rudolph Stenier's Eugenics connection and the influence of colors in the schools in interesting.
What exactly is Steiner's Eugenics connection?

Most of those European theosophical types back then had theories about human hierarchy that placed (surprise, surprise) Europeans at the apex. But Steiner was hated by the Nazis and didn't overtly preach racial discrimination. I admit I've never read any of his philosophy. Did he condone eugenics?
dimenno
Charlemagne:

The Waldorf schools seem pretty benign to me. No worse than Catholic boarding schools, and perhaps in some ways better. No sinister agenda involved. I went to a Theosophist meeting on 31 October at which Steiner and the schools were mentioned. If you were a diehard fundy you might find Theosophy objectionable for its esotericism, but there also exists fundy distrust of Catholics for much the same reason.

As for the eugenics thing, that was all the rage in the 1920s. Margaret Sanger was also very interested in Eugenics. There's a fascinating book called White trash : the eugenic family studies, 1877-1919
by Nicole Hahn Rafter which discusses this sociological obsession regarding eugenics in some detail.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(LocalWiseMan @ Nov 19 2008, 03:45 PM) *

What exactly is Steiner's Eugenics connection?

Most of those European theosophical types back then had theories about human hierarchy that placed (surprise, surprise) Europeans at the apex. But Steiner was hated by the Nazis and didn't overtly preach racial discrimination. I admit I've never read any of his philosophy. Did he condone eugenics?

Here are some Steiner racial quote:

http://www.skepticreport.com/newage/steiner.htm

Steiner was dead by the time the Nazis came to power. I am sure the Nazis wanted to eliminate Steiner Schools because they competed with the Nazis over the whole Norse Mystical Occult stuff. The Nazis sought to squash a lot of different views but I think that doesn't necessarily mean that Steiner wasn't Anti-Semetic and very much oritenated towards Aryan worship.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(dimenno @ Nov 19 2008, 03:48 PM) *

Charlemagne:

The Waldorf schools seem pretty benign to me. No worse than Catholic boarding schools, and perhaps in some ways better. No sinister agenda involved. I went to a Theosophist meeting on 31 October at which Steiner and the schools were mentioned. If you were a diehard fundy you might find Theosophy objectionable for its esotericism, but there also exists fundy distrust of Catholics for much the same reason.

As for the eugenics thing, that was all the rage in the 1920s. Margaret Sanger was also very interested in Eugenics. There's a fascinating book called White trash : the eugenic family studies, 1877-1919
by Nicole Hahn Rafter which discusses this sociological obsession regarding eugenics in some detail.

Well, I agree...the Catholcism aspect was addressed in my original post. I do think it is kind of interesting that these Steiner Schools never mention Anthrosophy and its true importance to Steiner's "pedagodical approach". It seems a lot of parents are intereted in the schools because of their progressive artistic aspect. Many find out later that the undercurrent of Anthrosophy brings with it many intense dogmas. I would actually love to visit a Waldorf School now. There is one in Lexington and Belmont I know of.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(dimenno @ Nov 19 2008, 03:48 PM) *

Charlemagne:

Not my words but an interesting way to respond to your statement:

The second line of defense is that Steiner's statements are said to be the norm for their time, and cannot be regarded as particularly noticable or perhaps even controversial. This claim can only convince those who are not familiar with the historical background. Steiner's quotes were made during the first decade of the 1900's, before the Nazi era. His wordings on non-European peoples were for their time unusually degrading and offensive, even within the German language area. Steiner belonged to those many who paved the way for Nazism through expressing the idea about the superiority of the "white" race.
LocalWiseMan
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 02:50 PM) *

Steiner was dead by the time the Nazis came to power. I am sure the Nazis wanted to eliminate Steiner Schools because they competed with the Nazis over the whole Norse Mystical Occult stuff. The Nazis sought to squash a lot of different views but I think that doesn't necessarily mean that Steiner wasn't Anti-Semetic and very much oritenated towards Aryan worship.
First off, the Nazis had been around since the end of WWI, and they made a lot of public pronouncements against Steiner and others. Steiner was pretty vocal in his opposition to the Nazis, so it's probably better that he didn't survive to see Hitler appointed Chancellor.

But you're moving the goalposts. You claimed Steiner had a "eugenics connection," which I took to mean over and above the run-of-the-mill racial biases favored by European mystical-schmistical types. I thought Steiner made such a point of opposing Anti-Semitism that the Nazis accused him of being a Jew.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(LocalWiseMan @ Nov 19 2008, 04:11 PM) *

First off, the Nazis had been around since the end of WWI, and they made a lot of public pronouncements against Steiner and others. Steiner was pretty vocal in his opposition to the Nazis, so it's probably better that he didn't survive to see Hitler appointed Chancellor.

But you're moving the goalposts. You claimed Steiner had a "eugenics connection," which I took to mean over and above the run-of-the-mill racial biases favored by European mystical-schmistical types. I thought Steiner made such a point of opposing Anti-Semitism that the Nazis accused him of being a Jew.

I don't quite get your logic...because the Nazis were against Steiner it somehow makes Steiner's writings not Anti-Semetic and racist? Have you read his writings about race?
Charlemagne
I am not going to go back and forth on this but it does seem that Steiner's own writings provide the best insight:

You see, when we really study science and history, we must conclude that if people become increasingly strong, they will also become increasingly stupid. If the blondes and blue-eyed people die out, the human race will become increasingly dense if men do not arrive at a form of intelligence that is independent of blondness. Blonde hair actually bestows intelligence. It is indeed true that the more the fair individuals die out the more will the instinctive wisdom of humans vanish."

I suppose these schools have value and for that more power to them. Anyway, this is a pretty good article on Steiner that is worth checking out:

http://canterburyatheists.blogspot.com/200...ic-cult-or.html
LocalWiseMan
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 03:16 PM) *

I don't quite get your logic...because the Nazis were against Steiner it somehow makes Steiner's writings not Anti-Semetic and racist? Have you read his writings about race?
Can you read? I only questioned your claim that Steiner had a Eugenics connection, like he advocated exterminating the lower races or something.

My first post should have made it clear that I agree Steiner had racist beliefs about the white race's natural superiority, etc. A lot of those mystical-intellectual types at the time believed that. I'm not condoning that bullshit (or any of his spiritualistic numbnuttery), but the fact that this surprises you amuses me greatly.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(LocalWiseMan @ Nov 19 2008, 04:25 PM) *

Can you read? I only questioned your claim that Steiner had a Eugenics connection, like he advocated exterminating the lower races or something.

My first post should have made it clear that I agree Steiner had racist beliefs about the white race's natural superiority, etc. A lot of those mystical-intellectual types at the time believed that. I'm not condoning that bullshit (or any of his spiritualistic numbnuttery), but the fact that this surprises you amuses me greatly.

Read my latest post and the latest link. Also, yes, I can read.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(LocalWiseMan @ Nov 19 2008, 04:25 PM) *

One final bit....I would find it amusing if these views remained just that "spiritualistic numbnuttery) but they permeate the actual current pedagody. The color black is banished for a reason. Anyway, that's it for me and Waldorf today. My curiousity has peaked.
bopinit
We looked at the Waldorf school in Beverly when my daughter was young. Looked and sounded really cool, very catered towards the arts/languages etc... Problem was this, my concern was that because they didn't have any traditional "testing" or grading, the kids might have a tough job making the transition to a regular school if it didn't work out.
I was willing to overlook all of this until we went for the meeting and the woman who gave us the tour was the most socially retarded human being I had ever met. I was like no fucking way I'm sending my kid to be educated by these people!
LocalWiseMan
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 03:32 PM) *

One final bit....I would find it amusing if these views remained just that "spiritualistic numbnuttery) but they permeate the actual current pedagody. The color black is banished for a reason.
And you're convinced it's because Steiner advocated the extermination of blacks? It couldn't just be because, like everything else in "Anthroposophy," the sky's the limit when it comes to spiritual whackjobbery?
dimenno
'nother thing about Steiner that came out at the Theosophical Q&A is that the dude wrote over 600 books, onlt half of which have been translated from german.

The world's foremost Steiner expert was in the room, and confirmed as much.

peeweeswafer
I just talked to my daughter about the black crayons- they do use them. The colors are introduced one at a time and they learn about blending different colors to create new ones in their art classes. They also have black teachers! ohmy.gif
Charlemagne
QUOTE(peeweeswafer @ Nov 19 2008, 08:58 PM) *

I just talked to my daughter about the black crayons- they do use them. The colors are introduced one at a time and they learn about blending different colors to create new ones in their art classes. They also have black teachers! ohmy.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE_lA5Hn6lk

Based on the info at the beginning of this video and some articles I have read about Steiner, the Anthrosophists seem to have something against dark colors (not just in the artistic sense). Still, each Waldorf School may be run its own way so you're probably right. Anyway, as indicated, this was something that interested me a couple of days ago. I still find it kind of interesting but to each his/her own.
lisalisa
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 11:24 PM) *

Based on the info at the beginning of this video and some articles I have read about Steiner, the Anthrosophists seem to have something against dark colors (not just in the artistic sense). Still, each Waldorf School may be run its own way so you're probably right. Anyway, as indicated, this was something that interested me a couple of days ago. I still find it kind of interesting but to each his/her own.

Why not take a visit to a Waldolf school and check it out for yourself.
EEE
QUOTE(lisalisa @ Nov 19 2008, 11:30 PM) *

Seriously. The internet is no place to get your information on stuff like this.

Charlemagne
QUOTE(EEE @ Nov 19 2008, 11:40 PM) *

Seriously. The internet is no place to get your information on stuff like this.

It's actually provided with some great info (Scholarly journals, former students, etc.). As indicated, there is a Waldorf near me in Lexington. I am curious and may try to arrange a visit. I don't think I'd want to teach at one though.
peeweeswafer
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 10:24 PM) *

I don't think they have anything against dark colors. They simply recognize that people have different emotional responses to color. The darker colors worn by a teacher convey a sense of seriousness and 'power'- the term 'power suit' came into being for a reason- dark-colored, plain lines, etc. They are using what they know to create the most positive experience possible. Restaurants use warm colors to enhance appetite. Politicians wear red power ties. Hospitals use soothing greens and blues. And the original teachings and philosophies have been somewhat diluted through the years anyway.
peeweeswafer
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 10:47 PM) *

It's actually provided with some great info (Scholarly journals, former students, etc.). As indicated, there is a Waldorf near me in Lexington. I am curious and may try to arrange a visit. I don't think I'd want to teach at one though.

I plan on going back to read more in one of the links you posted. My first impression of critical essays written by a former student seemed to point more towards a discomfort with the more spiritual philosophies as opposed to more traditional religious views. If it's not christian it must be a cult!
Charlemagne
QUOTE(peeweeswafer @ Nov 19 2008, 11:52 PM) *

I plan on going back to read more in one of the links you posted. My first impression of critical essays written by a former student seemed to point more towards a discomfort with the more spiritual philosophies as opposed to more traditional religious views. If it's not christian it must be a cult!

Nah, it wasn't the "if its not Christian, its a must be a cult thing" that struck me at all. I really have my radar up even more for Christian types who are uppity about such things. I went into this all because I recently interviewed at a Montessori school. I had spent some time reading up on their somewhat abstract pedagogy. I had also noticed the Waldorf schools and decided to just start reading up on them (to find out what their teaching approach was, etc.) It was only after I came across article upon article of really curious stories that I began to wonder. I guess the article that struck me most was one by a parent who seemed attracted to the place because she herself was artsy and open-minded. To me, she seemed like the quinnesential Waldorf parent but then it all turned weird. I don't know, I suppose this thread was started when I was at the height of my fascination with the place. Perhaps I got a bit hyberbolic and I guess I should say no more until I visit or whatever but I haven't run across so much stuff regarding say Montessori (although Catholic Schools would be another story altogether).

Here is the article that struck me most:

http://www.waldorfcritics.org/active/articles/lombard.html

LocalWiseMan
QUOTE(lisalisa @ Nov 19 2008, 10:30 PM) *

I think actual real-life experience would dispel his fascination.
peeweeswafer
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 19 2008, 11:14 PM) *

Nah, it wasn't the "if its not Christian, its a must be a cult thing" that struck me at all. I really have my radar up even more for Christian types who are uppity about such things. I went into this all because I recently interviewed at a Montessori school. I had spent some time reading up on their somewhat abstract pedagogy. I had also noticed the Waldorf schools and decided to just start reading up on them (to find out what their teaching approach was, etc.) It was only after I came across article upon article of really curious stories that I began to wonder. I guess the article that struck me most was one by a parent who seemed attracted to the place because she herself was artsy and open-minded. To me, she seemed like the quinnesential Waldorf parent but then it all turned weird. I don't know, I suppose this thread was started when I was at the height of my fascination with the place. Perhaps I got a bit hyberbolic and I guess I should say no more until I visit or whatever but I haven't run across so much stuff regarding say Montessori (although Catholic Schools would be another story altogether).

thanks for posting- this is a bit scary- I know they do teach the legends and fairy tales referred to in the article
I'm going to forward this link to me daughter.
EEE
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Nov 20 2008, 12:14 AM) *

That article is pretty interesting. I would check it out to see if it was an isolated incident from one group of fanatics or if that is that how all the schools are.
It does sound like a case of "Occultniks" ( people for whom the concept of understanding syncretism as a psycholgical symbolism is replaced by a view of it being magic. This is evidenced by the point at which the school starts offering medical advice in the for of drawing on the kid ).

Tantra, Goddess of Flight
QUOTE(peeweeswafer @ Nov 19 2008, 11:58 AM) *

My grandson attends the one in Shelburne, VT. This is his second year. He and his parents love it. It's a very nurturing environment- each teacher follows his/her class from kindergarden through 8th grade, I believe. Not a cultist environment at all. He's learning german and french, has music classes, etc. His parents could be classified as a modern hippie type. The majority of students come from well-to-do families. My kids don't fit that profile- they're getting financial assistance from the school. I haven't visited the school yet, but from what little I know, each school is run independently and there will be some variations in philosophy, etc.

Is having the same teacher through all the grades really a good thing? And what happens when the child is forced to live in the world without nurture, like in college or on the job? Kinda gives a false sense of security and entitlement, no?
LocalWiseMan
QUOTE(Tantra, Goddess of Flight @ Nov 20 2008, 10:32 AM) *

Is having the same teacher through all the grades really a good thing? And what happens when the child is forced to live in the world without nurture, like in college or on the job? Kinda gives a false sense of security and entitlement, no?
rolleyes.gif

By that logic, why educate the kid at all? The outside world expects him to know everything already, right?
peeweeswafer
QUOTE(Tantra, Goddess of Flight @ Nov 20 2008, 10:32 AM) *

There's a big difference between nurture and coddle. Can't see why it would be a bad thing. They do have more than one teacher for different subjects. Their primary teacher is the constant, but of course doesn't cover all subjects through all grades. Teaching social responsibility builds an awareness that you are not the center of the universe, that you must consider how your words and actions impact others. The kids don't live at school- beyond that they have normal social lives- hang with friends, play sports, etc. School is a place to learn with as little drama as possible, as it should be for any child.
dimenno
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.