Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red and blue states
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
sue
I know, I'm stating the obvious, but I find this map striking

IPB Image

All that contiguous red and blue (the blue just increased in the east)...it's wild that the U.S. is still practically two separate countries that will never understand each other very well.

Just musing.
Brootsquad
And I think the Dems turned at least four states blue this time around.
Ms. JJ Millie
we shall now be known as the creeping blue death
mwah ah ha ha
Arz
QUOTE(Ms. JJ Millie @ Nov 5 2008, 12:40 PM) *

we shall now be known as the creeping blue death
mwah ah ha ha

Democrats!
Born to serve, to Obama!
Heed!
To his every word, live for hope!
Fate!
Of the president-elect, this November!
Wait!
Something must be done, about William Ayers!

So let it be written
So let it be done
I voted for the Chosen One
So let it be written
So let it be done
I voted for the Chosen One
BLUE CREEPING DEATH
Orbitron
Some states have slightly more conservatives in them, and some states have slightly more liberals. Regional differences in prevailing attitudes toward guns and god. Even in the last election, when the red/blue electoral college divide was much more pronounced, if you looked at the popular vote, there were swirls of blue in the red states and swirls of red in the blue.

Don't fall for an us and them mentality, we're more alike than different.
Arz
Do they have any of those funky maps where everything's laid out by population and not geographical size? Y'know the ones we clung to after Bush won a second term.
(x)
QUOTE(Orbitron @ Nov 5 2008, 12:51 PM) *

Some states have slightly more conservatives in them, and some states have slightly more liberals. Regional differences in prevailing attitudes toward guns and god. Even in the last election, when the red/blue electoral college divide was much more pronounced, if you looked at the popular vote, there were swirls of blue in the red states and swirls of red in the blue.

I was going to say something similar. If you look at the map by county, It'd look very purple (I couldn't find one though).
sue
QUOTE(Orbitron @ Nov 5 2008, 12:51 PM) *

I know that, and I also know that many states were close, both ways-but still, that color pattern is no freak coincidence.
Danny Vermin
There's a reason they are called "Fly Over States".
dimenno
QUOTE(Arz @ Nov 5 2008, 11:53 AM) *

Do they have any of those funky maps where everything's laid out by population and not geographical size? Y'know the ones we clung to after Bush won a second term.

Here:

IPB Image

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2008/

CREEPING BLUE DEATH? MORE LIKE THE STRANGULATING RED DEATH....
terrydactyl
QUOTE(Danny Vermin @ Nov 5 2008, 02:33 PM) *

There's a reason they are called "Fly Over States".

laughing.gif
no shit
good one danny!
laughing.gif
Tantra, Goddess of Flight
QUOTE(Brootsquad @ Nov 5 2008, 11:36 AM) *

And I think the Dems turned at least four states blue this time around.

I think it's more like 8.

Nevada
Colorado
Virginia
North Carolina
Ohio
Iowa
Florida
Indiana

Tantra, Goddess of Flight
QUOTE(sue @ Nov 5 2008, 11:34 AM) *

I know, I'm stating the obvious, but I find this map striking

IPB Image

All that contiguous red and blue (the blue just increased in the east)...it's wild that the U.S. is still practically two separate countries that will never understand each other very well.

Just musing.

What I find the most striking is that there is a dividing line from Mexico to Canada that includes Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and North Dakota. It's as if it fades to blue a litte on either side of the line until you get to the coasts where it's pretty much all blue (with the exception of Georgia and South Carolina.). Maybe this isolation prevents them from developing any other viewpoint.
Mister Shhh
Poor Colorado and New Mexico.
Mister Shhh
Funny that in Red Dawn all the territory occupied by the Russians and the Cubans was pretty much the red states in the center of the country. Good map to go by if any country plans on invading.
LocalWiseMan
QUOTE(sue @ Nov 5 2008, 01:31 PM) *

I know that, and I also know that many states were close, both ways-but still, that color pattern is no freak coincidence.
rolleyes.gif

I initially considered the pattern completely random. Thanks for informing us that there are actually socioeconomic and cultural factors reflected in our country's political landscape.
terrydactyl
QUOTE(Mister Shhh @ Nov 5 2008, 10:22 PM) *

Poor Colorado and New Mexico.

clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here i am....
mfk
The American invasion of Dumbfuckistan has begun in earnest!
Klogger
QUOTE(terrydactyl @ Nov 6 2008, 10:09 AM) *

clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here i am....

laughing.gif Nice
sue
QUOTE(LocalWiseMan @ Nov 6 2008, 11:02 AM) *

rolleyes.gif

I initially considered the pattern completely random. Thanks for informing us that there are actually socioeconomic and cultural factors reflected in our country's political landscape.

Thank YOU for taking any opportunity you can to make snarky remarks about my posts!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.