Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wireless options
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Ms. JJ Millie
i'm looking to get wireless service at home and am being confused by words like "aircard", "ethernet card", etc etc. all i know is that i have a toshiba laptop. someone please educate me on the cheapest no frills wireless service for my house. i assume i have an aircard because i can connect to wireless when it's available.

i also just hung up on the at &t people because they were asking too many small talk questions. the last ones were
"you have a beautiful voice, are you a singer? " and then "are you in school? you sound about 18 years old". to which i said "yeah...i'm gonna go now".
wdoa
QUOTE(Ms. JJ Millie @ Oct 27 2008, 12:00 PM) *

i'm looking to get wireless service at home and am being confused by words like "aircard", "ethernet card", etc etc. all i know is that i have a toshiba laptop. someone please educate me on the cheapest no frills wireless service for my house. i assume i have an aircard because i can connect to wireless when it's available.
i also just hung up on the at &t people because they were asking too many small talk questions. the last ones were
"you have a beautiful voice, are you a singer? " and then "are you in school? you sound about 18 years old". to which i said "yeah...i'm gonna go now".

1. Do you have internet access currently at home? If so from whom (Comcrap, Verizon, RCN, etc.)?

2. If the answer to the first part of above is yes, you basically just need to pick up wireless router. Depending on your current setup you may need to reconfigure your existing cable/dsl modem to work with your new wireless router. If you have internet access at home, what is the model of your current modem?

Ms. JJ Millie
QUOTE(wdoa @ Oct 27 2008, 01:07 PM) *

1. Do you have internet access currently at home? If so from whom (Comcrap, Verizon, RCN, etc.)?

2. If the answer to the first part of above is yes, you basically just need to pick up wireless router. Depending on your current setup you may need to reconfigure your existing cable/dsl modem to work with your new wireless router. If you have internet access at home, what is the model of your current modem?

1. Nope. Ocassionally I can connect to someone else's wireless.
2. See above.
J_GuestNoMore
Then the first thing you need to decide is who is going to be your internet provider. And yes they all suck in their very own special way.
Ms. JJ Millie
the cheap one.
wdoa
QUOTE(Ms. JJ Millie @ Oct 27 2008, 12:57 PM) *

the cheap one.

If you can get it, Verizon DSL is probably the cheapest however it's a bit more difficult to configure and the quality of your connection depends on how far you are from Verizon's CO (Central Office). I think there 1st tier level starts at like $20 a month, however you have to have a landline at your home.
Otherwise you are the mercy of your local cable company. They probably will have some sort of bundle package with a special that's good for 6 months, but usually after that it usually gets pretty expensive.
Cable companies suck.
Ms. JJ Millie
Thanks i'll check verizon out.
maybe i can change my phone to them, too.
by landline you just mean the setup, right? or do you mean phone service at home?
wdoa
QUOTE(Ms. JJ Millie @ Oct 27 2008, 02:08 PM) *

by landline you just mean the setup, right? or do you mean phone service at home?

I believe that although you don't have to have a actual phone account thru them, if you don't they charge you a penalty on the DSL for not having phone service through them. This is called getting "dry DSL" and I believe costs you aprox $10 a month more.
If you don't have phone service at all it is probably simpler just to go with whatever evil Cable TV company services your area.
Vieira
QUOTE(Ms. JJ Millie @ Oct 27 2008, 02:08 PM) *

You need phone service.
Ms. JJ Millie
QUOTE(Vieira @ Oct 27 2008, 03:56 PM) *

You need phone service.

LAME!
BoDubya
i think verizon is offering a special for dsl and phone for $49, for six months...then they give you the socko.
Vieira
QUOTE(BoDubya @ Oct 27 2008, 04:26 PM) *

i think verizon is offering a special for dsl and phone for $49, for six months...then they give you the socko.

My internet through Time Warner Cable is only 30 bucks more than my regular cable package. I think the whole thing is about 80 something bucks a month.
niffrotite
Comcast cable internet is cheaper if you have Comcast cable
Verizon DSL is cheaper if you have a Verizon phone land line

if you have neither, Comcast will end up being cheaper in the long run. It's around $60/mo but you can get it for $40/mo if you get the $8/mo basic cable, & you'll probably use that more than your dusty landline.

I forget the Verizon prices but you need a landline with is $25+/mo alone, and then the internet isn't cheap, so the whole deal ends up being a little more.

Comcast cable is generally a little faster but sometimes not, depending on where you live, so it's kind of a crap shoot.
niffrotite
here you go, from Comcast.com if you put in the JP zip code:

Cable Internet without cable TV: $57.95/mo

Basic Cable TV: $9.19/mo

Cable internet if you have cable:

Currently $19.99/mo for first 6 months, then $42.95/mo
Ms. JJ Millie
looks like i'll continue to schlep the laptop to the coffee shop.
someone else told me that verizon dsl was the cheapest (especially w/the land lien), but i haven't actually spoken to anyone yet.
thanks for the breakdowns. i really don't want cable. in fact, i just hooked up the hdtv box thing for people with analog tv's and it comes in super clear so it feels like i have cable. (for about 15 channels)
THIS JUST IN the verizon website says they don't provide service to my area. uh...huh??
junkstar
answer) get a job with a company that allows you to telecommute - they will pay for the internet connectivity, a fresh laptop, the wireless tools, and they will throw in a cellphone most likely.
J_GuestNoMore
QUOTE(junkstar @ Oct 28 2008, 10:45 AM) *
answer) get a job with a company that allows you to telecommute - they will pay for the internet connectivity, a fresh laptop, the wireless tools, and they will throw in a cellphone most likely.
laughing.gif
Ms. JJ Millie
So...i'm being told that i have no copper wires for dsl and no fiberoptics so ... dial up?
how come i can connect to my neighbors wireless connections?
someone please explain...
there's a super cheap service through this place $20 a month
http://www.brooklinewireless.com/contact.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.