Full Version: Stupid, defunct (or gone from Mass.) food chains you kinda miss
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Pages: 1, 2, 3
sue
York Steak House
El Torito

Go.
allie
Piccadilly Pub in Peabody. They always gave you tons of cheese and crackers, they had amazing seafood chowder, and they used fresh squeezed oj in their drinks. Yum.
TEX
I thought the Ground Round was gone for good, but see they still have locations in several states.
Just not in Mass anymore.

Used to go there before/after trips to the Cleveland Circle Cinemas.
sue
QUOTE(TEX @ Oct 21 2008, 11:36 PM) *

I thought the Ground Round was gone for good, but see they still have locations in several states.

My friend and I used to go there now and then-the one at Alewife, when I lived in Somerville. Cause sometimes you wanted a place to eat with no wait for a table, and no hipsters. smile.gif
FrankD
QUOTE(allie @ Oct 21 2008, 10:33 PM) *

Piccadilly Pub in Peabody. They always gave you tons of cheese and crackers, they had amazing seafood chowder, and they used fresh squeezed oj in their drinks. Yum.

the original pub was downtown westborough, now closed, but they built a brand new on around the long corner from my house.....

there's like 15 of them around the state
Mister Shhh

Taunton
FrankD
QUOTE(Mister Shhh @ Oct 21 2008, 10:48 PM) *

Taunton

Guvna Patrick traded Taunton to Rhode Island for 4000 feet of seashore.
coffeensmokes
Looooooong gone:
Kelly's Hamburgers. There was one in Fresh Pond.
Chicken Delight
Valle's Steak House
Mike Qube
QUOTE(allie @ Oct 21 2008, 10:33 PM) *

I think there's a still a bunch of Piccadilly Pub's around the Worcester area.
HereWeGoSouthie

Right off of the exit ramp of 128 in Needham

Ground Round The
www.groundround.com
1 1st Ave
Needham, MA 02494
(781) 444-6360
sue
QUOTE(coffeensmokes @ Oct 22 2008, 05:57 AM) *

Looooooong gone:
Kelly's Hamburgers. There was one in Fresh Pond.
Chicken Delight
Valle's Steak House

Only one I remember was Valle's-and those were just the commercials. smile.gif
Bubbles
QUOTE(Mike Qube @ Oct 22 2008, 06:24 AM) *

I think there's a still a bunch of Piccadilly Pub's around the Worcester area.

There is one on 28 in North Reading.

sue
QUOTE(HereWeGoSouthie @ Oct 22 2008, 07:59 AM) *

Right off of the exit ramp of 128 in Needham

Ground Round The
www.groundround.com
1 1st Ave
Needham, MA 02494
(781) 444-6360

Just closed down, I drove near it recently...unless they're renovating or something. Parking lot was all closed off, too.
just_chris
QUOTE(Mister Shhh @ Oct 21 2008, 11:48 PM) *

Taunton

nope... gone

Any remaining Ground Round has nothing to do with the old resteraunts... peanut shells on the floor, clowns handing out cheap toys, 3 stooges on the big screen and a cartoon booth. That's the Ground Reound that I miss.
TEX
According to their web site, there are none in massachusetts.

http://www.groundround.com/home/

It's not like I'm losing sleep over it ... I hadn't eaten at the Cleveland Circle one since about 1988 ...?
Colt45
since this has become the all picadilly all the time thread biggrin.gif

there's one on rte 28 in randolph

DanPM

Yeah I used to live right up the street and hung out there all the time as a teenager.

Look Sharp!
QUOTE(just_chris @ Oct 22 2008, 08:08 AM) *

Any remaining Ground Round has nothing to do with the old resteraunts... peanut shells on the floor, clowns handing out cheap toys, 3 stooges on the big screen and a cartoon booth. That's the Ground Reound that I miss.

true, true

the one in norwood was a regular dining place for my family and my friends families

pay what you weigh night was the night we always went

i feel like the one in norwell right off rte 3 is still open

oddly, they opened one about a year ago on melnea cass blvd in that new plaza by the medical center

lasted about 3 months before closing down

sue
QUOTE(Look Sharp! @ Oct 22 2008, 09:28 AM) *

true, true

the one in norwood was a regular dining place for my family and my friends families

pay what you weigh night was the night we always went
i feel like the one in norwell right off rte 3 is still open

oddly, they opened one about a year ago on melnea cass blvd in that new plaza by the medical center

lasted about 3 months before closing down

Actually, I even liked the new ones-compared to similar chains (Applebees, etc), I think the food really was a couple steps better.

But speaking of Norwood, I STILL miss that El Torito...
Carl Spackler
QUOTE(sue @ Oct 22 2008, 09:30 AM) *

Actually, I even liked the new ones-compared to similar chains (Applebees, etc), I think the food really was a couple steps better.

But speaking of Norwood, I STILL miss that El Torito...

Was it an El Torito or Ground Round (or other) that lead to the downfall of Happy Hour in Mass? It was in Braintree if memory serves correctly.
Rick O'Shea
QUOTE(TEX @ Oct 21 2008, 10:36 PM) *

Chelmsford still has a Ground Round off of 495 & 3.

There's a Piccadilly Pub in Tewksbury on Rte. 38

Was there ever a "Sizzler" in Mass.?

Rick O'Shea
IPB Image

had one in Haverhill a long time ago.
CalGal
HoJo's Fish Fry.
openbar
Woolworth's.
Danny Vermin
Bickfords.

I think the scary one in the South bay center is still there, but the one in Braintree was the shit.
DanPM
QUOTE(Danny Vermin @ Oct 22 2008, 10:51 AM) *

Bickfords.

I think the scary one in the South bay center is still there, but the one in Braintree was the shit.

I used to hit up the one in Dorchester-Neponset all the time.
KRAN
Bonanza. I know that Ponderosa is supposed to be similar, but I loved Bonanza. There was a Bonanza in my home town and I miss that place. I love the serve yourself buffet style. Cube Steak and green jello with Cool Whip. I Also love all the little plates and bowls for the different foods.
just_chris

Bickfords.

...but the one in Braintree was the shit.

I was a regular there for a 2am feeding after the HoJo's closer to the plaza closed
WTF Jones
QUOTE(allie @ Oct 21 2008, 11:33 PM) *

There's one on Rt 28 in Reading (or North Reading) in the Wal-Mart parking lot. One place will push your shit in, the other will help to push it out. Gross.
LocalWiseMan
There used to be Deerings ice cream parlors that were kinda Brighams knockoffs. I went to the one in the old Rockingham Mall in Salem NH.

And I never realized Picadilly Pubs were endangered species. There are a ton in Metro West: Southboro, Marlboro, Franklin, etc.
KRAN
QUOTE(KRAN @ Oct 22 2008, 09:55 AM) *

Bonanza. I know that Ponderosa is supposed to be similar, but I loved Bonanza. There was a Bonanza in my home town and I miss that place. I love the serve yourself buffet style. Cube Steak and green jello with Cool Whip. I Also love all the little plates and bowls for the different foods.

There are only 4 left!!!! Oh Man...

http://www.bonanzarestaurant.com/index.cfm
dtk
the needham grd rnd is gonna be an office building...it was (ironicly) a hojo's

the needham industrial park has a lot of vacancies, so I suspect less of a lunch crowd....also lots of comptetion as needham center got more nice lunch places.

i miss tony's itallian villa on rt 9 in wellesley...growing up that was dad's favorite.

if i had the money and the know how...I'd love to open a Skyline chilli joint or a Casa Beounitia (?) like the one in Denver (mexican food with high diving for entertainment).

man, woolworths brought back memories.

any one here ever get charlie's chips delivered to your home?

dtk
vivian.pickles

Bickfords.

"A" is for "apple"
"B" is for "Bickfuhds"
I think there's still one in Salem, NH.
Headtap
Russell's Steakhouse. Used to hit that up after the Hanover Mall.
Christóbal
The Cottonwood Cafe - Porter Square. Man they had great margaritas. Miss 'em.
EricDoberman
QUOTE(Christóbal @ Oct 22 2008, 12:10 PM) *

The Cottonwood Cafe - Porter Square. Man they had great margaritas. Miss 'em.

There is still one in Park Plaza. My friend Howie bartends there.
Ms. JJ Millie
QUOTE(openbar @ Oct 22 2008, 10:48 AM) *

Woolworth's.

pretty sure that's where i ate a lunch counter in Kansas. awesome grilled cheese. awesome atmosphere. are they the store that had the blue light special? there was a department store with the cafe in the front on main st in worcester that i liked to go to.
mikeqube is right, picadilly's are around worcester.
and if york steak house was the place up by hampton beach, that place rocked. even if i never did win the prize in the treasure chest.
JohnnyBlack
QUOTE(Rick O'Shea @ Oct 22 2008, 09:50 AM) *

IPB Image

had one in Haverhill a long time ago.

Used to be one of those on West Street in Keene, NH.
Rick O'Shea
Is the Pewter Pot still in all the Malls?

While I am at it, anyone in the MV remember "Pub Dennis" which then became "Pub Benny's" and then finally "Benny's".
FrankD
QUOTE(just_chris @ Oct 22 2008, 08:08 AM) *

nope... gone

I don't let that stop me from making a mess.
FrankD
QUOTE(KRAN @ Oct 22 2008, 10:24 AM) *

There are only 4 left!!!! Oh Man...

http://www.bonanzarestaurant.com/index.cfm

not even:

These restaurants have been closed. Thank you for your past patronage.
Gitfiddler
QUOTE(Carl Spackler @ Oct 22 2008, 09:33 AM) *

Was it an El Torito or Ground Round (or other) that lead to the downfall of Happy Hour in Mass? It was in Braintree if memory serves correctly.

That was a Ground Round. An Applebees now (I think, if it's still open). I haven't shopped at Burlington Coat Factory lately.
DanPM
QUOTE(dtk @ Oct 22 2008, 11:58 AM) *

if i had the money and the know how...I'd love to open a Skyline chilli joint or a Casa Beounitia (?) like the one in Denver (mexican food with high diving for entertainment).

Cartman: Casa Bonita is my favorite place in the whole world, I'll just die if you don't take me. Please.

Kyle: Sorry, my mind is made up.

Cartman: Well fuck you, Kyle! I don't wanna go to your faggy birthday party anyway! I'd rather hang out at home than have to be around you and your Jew mom for a day. Kiss my balls, asshole!

IPB Image
AllMod
I overheard someone saying that they're rebuilding the Ground Round at Alewife. I know it changed to something else for a while, then sat vacant for a while. They've torn it down and fenced off the whole parking lot.

I know the Trigger Burgers at Roy Rogers were awful, but I used to stop at the one on the Mass Pike anytime I passed by.

My mother used to take us to the Red Coach Grill pretty often when we were little.
Mister Shhh
Chain restaurants are so pedestrian.
John D
QUOTE(Ms. JJ Millie @ Oct 22 2008, 12:17 PM) *

there was a department store with the cafe in the front on main st in worcester that i liked to go to.

You used to eat at The Mart? ohmy.gif
dimenno
QUOTE(FrankD @ Oct 21 2008, 10:55 PM) *

Guvna Patrick traded Taunton to Rhode Island for 4000 feet of seashore.

NSSF. The real story (along related lines) is much more convoluted and interesting:

In 1683 Freetown was incorporated as a town within the colony. The southern part of what is now Fall River was incorporated as the town of Tiverton as part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1694, a few years after the merger with Plymouth Colony. In 1746, in the settlement of a colonial boundary dispute between Rhode Island and Massachusetts, Tiverton was annexed to Rhode Island, along with Little Compton and what is now Bristol County, Rhode Island. The boundary was then placed approximately at what is now Columbia Street.

In 1803, when Fall River was separated from Freetown [it was] officially incorporated as its own town. A year later, Fall River changed its name to "Troy." The name "Troy" was used for 30 years and was officially changed back to Fall River on February 12, 1834.

In July 1843, the first great fire in Fall River's history destroyed much of the town center.

During this time, the southern part of what is now Fall River (south of Columbia Street) would remain part of Tiverton, Rhode Island. In 1856, the town of Tiverton, Rhode Island voted to split off its industrial northern section as Fall River, Rhode Island. In 1861, after decades of dispute, the United States Supreme Court moved the state boundary to what is now State Avenue, thereby creating a City of Fall River entirely within Massachsuetts. (Also as part of this decision, Pawtucket, Massachusetts would become part of Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
DanPM
Don't get me started on the Ground Round
Underwhelmed
QUOTE(Rick O'Shea @ Oct 22 2008, 08:49 AM) *

Chelmsford still has a Ground Round off of 495 & 3.

There's a Piccadilly Pub in Tewksbury on Rte. 38

Was there ever a "Sizzler" in Mass.?

Actually, the Chelmsford one is gone now too. It's an upscale restaurant these days. Still looks the same on the outside though.
WTF Jones
If I recall, the Ground Round had some pretty dope nachos.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.