QUOTE(FrankD @ Oct 21 2008, 10:55 PM)
Guvna Patrick traded Taunton to Rhode Island for 4000 feet of seashore.
NSSF. The real story (along related lines) is much more convoluted and interesting:
In 1683 Freetown was incorporated as a town within the colony. The southern part of what is now Fall River was incorporated as the town of Tiverton as part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1694, a few years after the merger with Plymouth Colony. In 1746, in the settlement of a colonial boundary dispute between Rhode Island and Massachusetts, Tiverton was annexed to Rhode Island, along with Little Compton and what is now Bristol County, Rhode Island. The boundary was then placed approximately at what is now Columbia Street.
In 1803, when Fall River was separated from Freetown [it was] officially incorporated as its own town. A year later, Fall River changed its name to "Troy." The name "Troy" was used for 30 years and was officially changed back to Fall River on February 12, 1834.
In July 1843, the first great fire in Fall River's history destroyed much of the town center.
During this time, the southern part of what is now Fall River (south of Columbia Street) would remain part of Tiverton, Rhode Island. In 1856, the town of Tiverton, Rhode Island voted to split off its industrial northern section as Fall River, Rhode Island. In 1861, after decades of dispute, the United States Supreme Court moved the state boundary to what is now State Avenue, thereby creating a City of Fall River entirely within Massachsuetts. (Also as part of this decision, Pawtucket, Massachusetts would become part of Pawtucket, Rhode Island.