Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody going to see Elvis C. & The Police tonight?
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > The Music Forum
JimFoster
I sort of wish I was, mainly because I have really taken a liking to Elvis' new album MOMOFUKU, and I've read some reviews of recent shows with The Impostors on this tour that have been very positive.

I've been listening to it all summer and I'm at the point where I'd say it's the best thing he's done since Blood & Chocolate. And I'm one of those fans who even spent the money on The Juliet Letters, so I don't make this assessment lightly.

And the new album isn't just sweetly reminiscent of his glory days with The Attractions, in places it sounds like nothing he's ever done previously. Like the track "Stella Hurt"- that one's sheer unbridled garage rock riff n'snarl cacophony and he's sounds like he's having a blast in the studio sqealing out Neil Young-ish guitar solos.

Oh yeah, and I guess it would be kinda cool to see The Police as well.

But I swore off Great Woods or whatever the hell it's called these days about 10 years ago after seeing one too many disappointing EC shows there. I just can't stand the design of the place. Or maybe it's because I always seemed to get shitty seats. The last time I was there was to see Midnight Oil, so I guess it has been a while.....
dtk
ME!!

My wife's step dad takes the son's in law to one show a summer...this one's it.

I've actually NEVER seen EC live before, so I'm pretty pumped for it. I've seen the police 2x but consider the 1st was 83 or earlier...I guess I'm do.

As a drummer, Copeleand is always an education.
dtk
JimFoster
QUOTE(dtk @ Jul 31 2008, 11:40 AM) *

ME!!

My wife's step dad takes the son's in law to one show a summer...this one's it.

I've actually NEVER seen EC live before, so I'm pretty pumped for it. I've seen the police 2x but consider the 1st was 83 or earlier...I guess I'm do.

As a drummer, Copeleand is always an education.
dtk

Yes, I would imagine it would be an education in spastic, overly self-indulgent rhythmic hyperdrive. The man has the restraint of Neil Peart on an eight-ball. laughing.gif

I will look forward to having you report back tomorrow on who impresses you more as a drummer, Pete Thomas or Stewart Copeland.

My money's on Powerful PF Thomas! Enjoy the show, Elvis is always a superb performer and his band kicks ass. I still miss Bruce Thomas, though, and always will.
DinkMAD Jr.
I'm going. $30 for tickets. I think there are some still available. Should be a decent show.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(DinkMAD Jr. @ Jul 31 2008, 01:09 PM) *

I'm going. $30 for tickets. I think there are some still available. Should be a decent show.

I was impressed by the Police last year at MSG. Copeland is so fun to watch too.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(JimFoster @ Jul 31 2008, 12:52 PM) *

Yes, I would imagine it would be an education in spastic, overly self-indulgent rhythmic hyperdrive. The man has the restraint of Neil Peart on an eight-ball. laughing.gif

I will look forward to having you report back tomorrow on who impresses you more as a drummer, Pete Thomas or Stewart Copeland.

My money's on Powerful PF Thomas! Enjoy the show, Elvis is always a superb performer and his band kicks ass. I still miss Bruce Thomas, though, and always will.

I found Copeland to be very tasteful but aggressive in his playing when I saw them last year.
sellmememories
Probably Nicole Tamarro.
coughlin
QUOTE(DinkMAD Jr. @ Jul 31 2008, 01:09 PM) *

uh-oh, sounds like a lawn ticket --- you may wanna check to see if they allow umbrellas (i'm guessing no)
DinkMAD Jr.
QUOTE(coughlin @ Jul 31 2008, 01:35 PM) *

uh-oh, sounds like a lawn ticket --- you may wanna check to see if they allow umbrellas (i'm guessing no)

According to the Weather channel things should be clear down that way by 7ish. We'll be just fine.
krispybmc
QUOTE(JimFoster @ Jul 31 2008, 12:52 PM) *

The man has the restraint of Neil Peart on an eight-ball. laughing.gif

if someone doesn't take this as a signature, i don't know what is wrong with the world...

heck, i might even have to cop that as a second signature!
Jack
I'd pay not to see The Police, but I'd love to see EC, and his band is always excellent...particularly his drummer.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(Jack @ Jul 31 2008, 04:41 PM) *

I'd pay not to see The Police, but I'd love to see EC, and his band is always excellent...particularly his drummer.

Say what you will about the Police, they are pretty amazing musicians and their tunes connect with the masses. I'll bet they play a great show tonight because they have been on the road for over a year and they are winding down. They were on fire when I saw them at MSG last year. I suppose it is easy to be cynical about a reunion act (and I was) and Sting is a douche but they definitely put on a great show.
sexfighter2
i had sick seats for the show tonight.
Elvis was awesome, Sting came out and sang
Allison with him, pretty awesome.
being a police fan for the last 15 years, the show
was great. not fantastic, as they did not play bring
on the night. but that;s just my favorite of thiers.
they were awesome, Sting cant hit all the notes anymore,
but i didn;t expect him too. sting, stew, and andy
are unbelievable musicians, and they did a great
job of exploiting how awesome they are.
andy is getting old, but he was old from the begging.
awesome.
DinkMAD Jr.
Thought Elvis was awesome, and the Police were good. After jazzing/jamming up the first five songs, it starts to get boring. By the end of the show, I was glad it was over. "Next to You" was pretty bad. Overall though, I'm glad I went.
Charlemagne
QUOTE(DinkMAD Jr. @ Aug 1 2008, 07:18 AM) *

Thought Elvis was awesome, and the Police were good. After jazzing/jamming up the first five songs, it starts to get boring. By the end of the show, I was glad it was over. "Next to You" was pretty bad. Overall though, I'm glad I went.

Sounds like the night was all about Elvis Costello then.
DinkMAD Jr.
QUOTE(Charlemagne @ Aug 1 2008, 07:50 AM) *

Sounds like the night was all about Elvis Costello then.

Yeah, he sounded great. I'm not a huge fan of Pump it Up, but that tune kicked ass last night. Much more energy than anything the Police did.
tinnitus_photo
QUOTE(DinkMAD Jr. @ Aug 1 2008, 07:08 AM) *

Yeah, he sounded great. I'm not a huge fan of Pump it Up, but that tune kicked ass last night. Much more energy than anything the Police did.

that's one song i wish he'd ditch from the setlist...if a band like Mudhoney can't make it rock, it's dead.

i saw EC last year @ Avalon, and it was an amazing show (w/ the Imposters); impeccable setlist selections. no interest in the Police.
DinkMAD Jr.
QUOTE(tinnitus_photo @ Aug 1 2008, 09:18 AM) *

that's one song i wish he'd ditch from the setlist...if a band like Mudhoney can't make it rock, it's dead.

i saw EC last year @ Avalon, and it was an amazing show (w/ the Imposters); impeccable setlist selections. no interest in the Police.

It actually rocked last night.
DJKyttyn
i went to this show.

i really enjoyed it. I have been waiting over 20 years to see the police (i was too little for concerts when they were still together), and it was well worth the wait.

i did, however, think andy sucked bad. I usually ignore guitar solos, but i never did with the police. he didn't play ANY of the original solos, not even close. I felt those original solos were an integral part of the melody of the song, and he just sort of played some other notes instead. maybe it was more skillful than the old solos, i wouldn't know, but they weren't nearly as good.

Stewart and Sting, however, were fantastic, even if they had to drop most of the songs half an octave.

I have never seen a drum kit like that. holy crap!

elvis was awesome as well... but where we were sitting, it seemed like nobody cared. probably because he tours all the time still, i guess...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.