Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some nerds get a beatdown...
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
PEZ
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/05/13...ml?iref=24hours

Drunk 'Darth Vader' assaults 'Jedi leaders'

Story Highlights
Man dressed up as Darth Vader and assaulted founders of UK's first Jedi church
Welshman, who wore garbage bag for a cape, given suspended sentence
He admitted to being drunk and said he could not recall the incident
In 2001 census, 390,000 British people listed Jedi as their religion

HOLYHEAD, Wales (AP) -- A man who dressed up as Darth Vader, wearing a black garbage bag for a cape, and assaulted the founders of Britain's first Jedi church was given a suspended sentence Tuesday.

Arwel Wynne Hughes, 27, attacked Jedi church founder Barney Jones -- a.k.a. Master Jonba Hehol -- with a metal crutch, hitting him on the head, prosecutors told Holyhead Magistrates' Court.

He also whacked Jones' 18-year-old cousin, Michael Jones -- or Master Mormi Hehol -- bruising his thigh, in the March 25 incident.

Unfortunately for Hughes, the incident was recorded on a video camera that the cousins had set up to film themselves in a light saber battle.

"Darth Vader! Jedis!" Hughes shouted as he approached.

Hughes claimed he couldn't remember the incident, having drunk the best part of a 10-liter (two-and-half-gallon) box of wine beforehand.

"He knows his behavior was wrong and didn't want it to happen but he has no recollection of it," said Hughes' lawyer, Frances Jones.

District Judge Andrew Shaw sentenced Hughes to two months in jail but suspended the sentence for one year.

He also ordered Hughes to pay £100 ($195) to each of his victims and £60 ($117) in court costs.

Barney Jones, his brother Daniel and cousin Michael set up the Church of Jediism, Anglesey order, last year. It claims about 30 members.

Jedi is the faith followed by some of the central characters in the "Star Wars" films. In the 2001 United Kingdom census, 390,000 people -- 0.7 percent of the population -- listed Jedi as their religion.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
PEZ
I mean, let's face it... Those kids kinda NEEDED a beating, no?
DanPM
QUOTE(PEZ @ May 13 2008, 10:29 AM) *

Unfortunately for Hughes, the incident was recorded on a video camera that the cousins had set up to film themselves in a light saber battle.

QUOTE(PEZ @ May 13 2008, 10:30 AM) *

I mean, let's face it... Those kids kinda NEEDED a beating, no?

yes
GG's Ghost
epic. laughing.gif
afinemess
IPB Image
woodymq
Well deserved beat-down. Guys, it's a fucking movie. Lucas would laugh at these idiots.
smcd
If those jedi guys can't fend off a drunk Welshman with a metal crutch, they're not very good jedis.
PEZ
QUOTE(smcd @ May 13 2008, 09:38 AM) *

If those jedi guys can't fend off a drunk Welshman with a metal crutch, they're not very good jedis.

laughing.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif

No shit!
allie
QUOTE(smcd @ May 13 2008, 10:38 AM) *

laughing.gif laughing.gif
Slim
the beatdown
woodymq
QUOTE(Slim @ May 13 2008, 09:58 AM) *

That's was it? *yawn* I can't believe someone could actually get charged with anything for that.
junkstar
QUOTE(smcd @ May 13 2008, 09:38 AM) *

best laugh of the day so far...
DanPM
“Size matters not, ... Look at me. Judge me by size, do ... *thud* *whack* OWWW!"
mike oliver
Don't mess with the darkside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.