Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please write
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Ms. JJ Millie
anyone?
Blodwyn
b plus or minus the square root of a squared minus four a c all over two a.

That's memorization from high school.
How'd I do?
Brootsquad
Oops....I'm in the wrong thread. bai!
tarawhite
Next time I do a book report I will write 'y=mx+b'
Dook of Oil
For any quadratic eqn, ax^2 + bx +c = 0, x can be solved for using the quadratic formula:

x= [-b +/- sqrt(b^2-4ac)]/2a

The resultant under the square (b^2 - 4ac) is also known as the discriminate. The discriminate will tell you how many and what type of roots the equation has:

For positive discriminates there are 2 real roots, if the discriminate is 0 then there is one real root and it is x=-b/2a, if the discriminate is negative there are no real roots.

DanPM
IPB Image
Brootsquad
How many people are googling and wiki-ing right now??

OOP! I'm back, sorry! K,BAI!
Blodwyn
b squared.

fuk.
Dook of Oil
You use quadratics in physics...here is the 2nd equation of motion - displacement as a function of time:

x = x0 + v0t + at2
(x)
the derivative
of a quadratic function
will be linear
Dook of Oil
QUOTE((x) @ May 12 2008, 03:00 PM) *

the derivative
of a quadratic function
will be linear

THE DERIVATIVE OF A CUBIC WILL BE QUADRATIC!
Dook of Oil
THE INTEGRAL OF A LINEAR FUNCTION WILL BE QUADRATIC!
matadordesevilla
QUOTE(Dook of Oil @ May 12 2008, 01:47 PM) *

For any quadratic eqn, ax^2 + bx +c = 0, x can be solved for using the quadratic formula:

x= [-b +/- sqrt(b^2-4ac)]/2a

The resultant under the square (b^2 - 4ac) is also known as the discriminate. The discriminate will tell you how many and what type of roots the equation has:

For positive discriminates there are 2 real roots, if the discriminate is 0 then there is one real root and it is x=-b/2a, if the discriminate is negative there are no real roots.

Can I copy your homework?
His Daddy
It was a dark and stormy night. Hunter and Marie joked about all the cliches about their car breaking down in the rain and having to approach a castle such as they were, but secretly they were each a little apprehensive. After all, they *were* in a foreign country, and quite removed from the nearest city, at that. Back in the States, you could be shot for walking on somebody's land like this. Still, it was only sixteen hours until the math conference, and if Hunter didn't get there in time with his discovery about the Quadratic Equation, many people were going to die.
(x)
QUOTE(Dook of Oil @ May 12 2008, 03:03 PM) *

THE DERIVATIVE OF A CUBIC WILL BE QUADRATIC!

Quadratic equations are more interesting then cubic. When you meet a quadratic equation you're not sure what you'll get. They may be the type that likes to keep it real, or they may be complex and hard to figure out.
terrydactyl
Just when i think i'm out!...

IPB Image
Dook of Oil
QUOTE((x) @ May 12 2008, 03:10 PM) *

Quadratic equations are more interesting then cubic. When you meet a quadratic equation you're not sure what you'll get. They may be the type that likes to keep it real, or they may be complex and hard to figure out.

Laplace transforms.
(x)
QUOTE(Dook of Oil @ May 12 2008, 03:12 PM) *

Laplace transforms.

I had to google that. I haven't learned about those yet, looks like I might in physics or differential equations so until then I'll have to not know what you're talking about.
Dook of Oil
QUOTE((x) @ May 12 2008, 03:18 PM) *

I had to google that. I haven't learned about those yet, looks like I might in physics or differential equations so until then I'll have to not know what you're talking about.

It's okay - even after you learn about them you'll still not know what they are.
benhamean
What is this equation commonly used to solve?
Dook of Oil
QUOTE(benhamean @ May 12 2008, 03:23 PM) *

What is this equation commonly used to solve?

what equation?
benhamean
QUOTE(Dook of Oil @ May 12 2008, 02:24 PM) *

what equation?

There was one?
kapow
The B felt negative about a decision that could have a plus or minus effect. "Should I exercise and walk around the block in a square route, or should I just square myself on the toilet and crap out a #4ac?" It was divided by this indecision. Suddenly, two brothers named A walked in the door.
benhamean
I'm sorry.
What sort of problem does the quadratic formula explain? I've used the damn thing myself, but I can't remember the circumstances.
His Daddy
QUOTE(benhamean @ May 12 2008, 03:27 PM) *

I'm sorry.
What sort of problem does the quadratic formula explain? I've used the damn thing myself, but I can't remember the circumstances.

You use it when you want to impress the pants off of an MIT girl. If you do, she'll instantly fall in love and wear fake bombs on her chest when she picks you up at the airport.
(x)
QUOTE(benhamean @ May 12 2008, 03:27 PM) *

I'm sorry.

It's used to find the acceleration, velocity, or position of something with constant accelleration. In algebra classes this usually takees the form of finding the position of something thrown in the air or dropped off of a building.
benhamean
QUOTE((x) @ May 12 2008, 02:48 PM) *

It's used to find the acceleration, velocity, or position of something with constant accelleration. In algebra classes this usually takees the form of finding the position of something thrown in the air or dropped off of a building.

Thank you! And MIT coeds dig it? Bonus!
Dook of Oil
Also can be used to calculate the stress at any point x along a beam under uniform loading.
Ms. JJ Millie
QUOTE(His Daddy @ May 12 2008, 03:06 PM) *

It was a dark and stormy night. Hunter and Marie joked about all the cliches about their car breaking down in the rain and having to approach a castle such as they were, but secretly they were each a little apprehensive. After all, they *were* in a foreign country, and quite removed from the nearest city, at that. Back in the States, you could be shot for walking on somebody's land like this. Still, it was only sixteen hours until the math conference, and if Hunter didn't get there in time with his discovery about the Quadratic Equation, many people were going to die.

laughing.gif laughing.gif
(i'm totally stealing Dookie's bit and seeing if it'll fly)
wait, the bit above....all this time i've been begging my algebra teachers for practical applications. if they had said THAT, i may have fucking straightened up and paid attention (maybe...)
(x)
QUOTE(benhamean @ May 12 2008, 03:49 PM) *

Thank you! And MIT coeds dig it? Bonus!

What do you do if they start talking about Laplace transforms? Then your sunk, even wiki won't save you then.
His Daddy
QUOTE((x) @ May 12 2008, 04:00 PM) *

What do you do if they start talking about Laplace transforms? Then your sunk, even wiki won't save you then.

No, that's where you have to get all rock n' roll on them. Tell them it's not a Laplace Transform, but a LapDANCE transform, and you can demonstrate the transformation of soft to hard if they'd be so kind as to give you one.
Ms. JJ Millie
y'know ...if the calculus people are hogging the tutor center again, i just might continue this thread with word problems...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.