Look Sharp!
QUOTE(Look Sharp! @ May 12 2008, 01:33 PM) *

those characatures

the fries were like home-fries

the roast beef sandwich was the worst thing on the menu
EricDoberman
QUOTE(Look Sharp! @ May 12 2008, 02:34 PM) *

the roast beef sandwich was the worst thing on the menu

The turkey knish, though it was in no way an "authentic" knish, was the best.

For a brief while, toward the end, they had a franchise in Central Square.
Dook of Oil
I got a beaner in a uhaul truck driving by there while helping some women folk move.
khan
i would always get that boneless rib sandwich. so gross but so good.
remember that crazy lady/thing that worked there?
Smash
I wish it as still there sad.gif A shrine.

A ritual back in the late 70's on the way out of Boston after a night out before heading to Manchvegas.
Johnny Angel
Buzzy's was like the 1960's--if you remember it at all, you weren't there.

Never had so much as an onion ring at that ptomaine pit without being Ray Charles-sized blind drunk.
lansdowne
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ May 12 2008, 02:49 PM) *

Never had so much as an onion ring at that ptomaine pit without being Ray Charles-sized blind drunk.

All i could taste was bbq sauce and booze from whatever club or party i had been at.
I'm with johhny on this one.
Smash
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ May 12 2008, 01:49 PM) *

It was there until at least the early 80's!
Dook of Oil
QUOTE(Smash @ May 12 2008, 02:54 PM) *

I believe he was saying that the only reason to be at Buzzy's you had to be completely fucked up at 3am...much like the 1960s drug scene, if you've been there, you won't remember...
Johnny Angel
There's this place in Hollywood called "The Spotlight" which is famous, because it's the first place people go after they've been released from LA County Jail (bar will even serve the first drink free with proof, I'm told).

I wonder if Buzzy's was the first "post Charles St overnight nosh" for many a local ne'er do well, too.
Atom Brain
Some pimp sitting down to a big beef and fries while his two hos sat there across from him looking hungry and sad.
Mark VI
i don't remember much, i was drunk every time i was there.
Smash
QUOTE(Dook of Oil @ May 12 2008, 01:56 PM) *

I believe he was saying that the only reason to be at Buzzy's you had to be completely fucked up at 3am...much like the 1960s drug scene, if you've been there, you won't remember...

AHOY biggrin.gif
Toady
It was one of the few places that had hours for big kids, unlike our bars and subway system. The almost complete inability to find anything to eat in this city after midnight is a disgrace. Some college town.
woodymq
I'm actually shocked that the cops didn't just set up shop with a breathalyzer in the parking lot at 2am.

Was never there sober... never. And I usually drove.
junkstar
Lived in Allston and then Brookline for 4 years. Never went once.
Unchained
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ May 12 2008, 02:49 PM) *

This was pretty much my experience. Riley's Roast Beef in Allston would be the same thing.
coughlin
always had the knish too.
went w/a friend one nite who was plastered.
crashed at his place.
he was a chef at some fancy place.
next day he was trying to remember everything & i said, "well, i finally got ya to eat at buzzy's," & he literally started shaking & got all pissed that i could "let" such a thing happen...
mono mann used to wear his buzzy's t-shirt onstage sometimes...

newfakename
I met Billy West there. He did Ghandi.
EricDoberman
QUOTE(Unchained @ May 12 2008, 05:14 PM) *

This was pretty much my experience. Riley's Roast Beef in Allston would be the same thing.

What's in that space now, Redneck's, makes either of those places look like The Palm.
lansdowne
QUOTE(Smash @ May 12 2008, 02:54 PM) *

DUH!
khan
QUOTE(lansdowne @ May 12 2008, 07:56 PM) *

DUH!

laughing.gif
Johnny Angel
If they'd been smart, they'd have moved Buzzy's to under a gazebo in the 'burbs.

They'd never have gone out of business then.
khan
QUOTE(Johnny Angel @ May 12 2008, 08:58 PM) *

If they'd been smart, they'd have moved Buzzy's to under a gazebo in the 'burbs.

but you'd miss that late night summer aura of eating a piece of shit, while having a bunch of prisoners watching
Johnny Angel
QUOTE(khan @ May 12 2008, 09:13 PM) *

but you'd miss that late night summer aura of eating a piece of shit, while having a bunch of prisoners watching

That's true--but if Buzzy's had been near any gazebo in the greater Boston area, they could have retired as millionaires courtesy of "starved, ham handed bass players".
billymoody
QUOTE(EricDoberman @ May 12 2008, 04:53 PM) *

What's in that space now, Redneck's, makes either of those places look like The Palm.

right, hard to imagine someone could take Riley's downhill...
Look Sharp!
QUOTE(billymoody @ May 13 2008, 04:26 AM) *

right, hard to imagine someone could take Riley's downhill...

I WONT EVEN EAT AT REDNECKS ANYMORE

empty all day long, packed from 2a.m. until 3a.m.

most of the food sold there does not ever get digested, rather, it paints the streets of allston
tarawhite
I remember back in the '90s talking to Ike Willis about Buzzy's. Apparently it was well known by touring bands--probably b/c it was the only place open in Boston after the gig was over. In '88 Zappa and the band paid a pilgrimage to Buzzy's for some super grease after the Orpheum gigs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.