Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm not much for faith-bashing, but Jeeze Louise ...
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Flipper

Letting the corpse of a 90 year old woman (their mom/grandmom apparently) rot on the shitter because some self styled "bishop" (of bullshit) tells you she'll eventually re-animate is beyond the pale in ways that make snake-twirling Baptists look sane.

Cripes ! laughing.gif

Kids, mom lived with 90-year-old's corpse for weeks in Wis.
23 hours ago

MADISON, Wis. (AP)
Two children and their mother lived for about two months with the decaying body of a 90-year-old woman on the toilet of their home's only bathroom, on the advice of a religious "superior" who claimed the corpse would come back to life, authorities said Friday.

The children a 15-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy cried hysterically Wednesday after a deputy who came to their Necedah home looking for Magdeline Alvina Middlesworth ordered them out because of the stench from her body.

The children were in foster care Friday. Their mother, Tammy Lewis, and self-described "bishop" Alan Bushey remained in custody on felony counts of being a party to causing mental harm to a child.

"It's a sad case, and we'll continue to investigate it and try to ascertain just what occurred up there," Juneau County Sheriff Brent Oleson said. He said he had no further information on Bushey's religious affiliation.

According to the criminal complaint, Middlesworth's sister called sheriff's officials Wednesday and asked them to go to the home about 80 miles north of Madison to check on the woman, who had not been heard from for some time.

When Deputy Leigh Neville-Neil arrived at the house, she encountered Lewis, also known as Sister Mary Bernadett, the complaint said. Lewis, 35, initially refused to allow the deputy to check on Middlesworth, telling her that Middlesworth was on vacation and saying she had to check with her "superior" first.

But she eventually let the deputy in. The house smelled of incense and burned wood, and had religious materials everywhere and hymns playing on the stereo, according to the complaint.

When the deputy opened the last closed door, she smelled "decaying matter" and noticed something piled on what appeared to be a toilet. Lewis told her it was Middlesworth's body, the complaint said.

Lewis told the deputy that Middlesworth had died about two months earlier, but that God told her Middlesworth would come to life if she prayed hard enough.

She said she couldn't say anything more until she spoke with her "superior" Bushey, 57, also known as Bishop John Peter Bushey.

When Bushey (pronounced "boo-SHAY") arrived, Lewis told the deputy that Middlesworth had appeared to pass out as Lewis helped her into her underwear.

She said she propped Middlesworth on the toilet and left the room to call Bushey, who told her to leave the woman alone and pray for her, the complaint said. He said he had received signs that God would raise her from the dead with a miracle.

Lewis went on to say she thought Middlesworth was still breathing when she put her on the toilet and called Bushey, instead of an ambulance. She later told a detective she put the woman on the toilet on March 4.

An autopsy has been performed, but results won't be available for some time, Oleson said.

"At this time we don't know what the cause of death was," he said. "Quite frankly, it might have been natural causes."

He described the one-story home in the town of Necedah as in decent repair, although the residents had been using "makeshift" toilet facilities because of the situation in the one bathroom.

The boy at the house told a detective he had considered running away because he was uncomfortable with the situation. He said Bushey told him that demons were trying to make it look as if Middlesworth wouldn't come back to life, and that if she were to be discovered he and the girl would have to go to public school and get jobs because Middlesworth paid the bills.

The boy referred to Middlesworth as "grandmother," the complaint said.

Oleson said Middlesworth was unrelated to Bushey.

"She believed in the same faith as self-proclaimed Bishop Bushey, and that was the connection there," he said.

Oleson said that Middlesworth and Lewis lived at the residence with the children since fall of 2004, and that Bushey lived elsewhere.

Bushey and Lewis are scheduled to make an initial court appearance May 19. Aside from the felony counts, Lewis also was charged with obstructing an officer, a misdemeanor.

The sheriff said cash bond was set Friday at $50,000 each, but Lewis was allowed to post 10 percent for her release.

Computerized state court records had no attorney listed for either suspect on Friday.

dillirgaff
What if she did come back to life, would that change your mind about these things?
Flipper
QUOTE(dillirgaff @ May 10 2008, 09:14 PM) *

What if she did come back to life, would that change your mind about these things?

Absolutely.

Especially if she came back to life after deteriorating in to a smelly sack of prune-skin and bones.

In fact, I would eat the corn out of her (and Jesus') shit after seeing this happen.

Alas ....

coughlin
no weirder than 90% of the stuff believed / done in the name of most religions anywhere...

the REAL weird stuff is that which actually WORKS, like snake handlers who get bitten a million times & never die... now THAT's worth lookin' into - !
Flipper
QUOTE(coughlin @ May 11 2008, 03:16 PM) *

no weirder than 90% of the stuff believed / done in the name of most religions anywhere...

I'd have to say that's grossly overstating things.

Dude, they let their dead grandmama rot on the toilet.

And yeah, believing in things like transubstantiation, ressurection, and The Rapture are kinda wacky (even to most people who just plain believe in God)....

but by comparison, the above is far beyond all that.
coughlin
QUOTE(Flipper @ May 11 2008, 08:12 PM) *

I'd have to say that's grossly overstating things.

Dude, they let their dead grandmama rot on the toilet.

And yeah, believing in things like transubstantiation, ressurection, and The Rapture are kinda wacky (even to most people who just plain believe in God)....

but by comparison, the above is far beyond all that.

not at all, when you consider the larger beliefs (that non-believers should die even if they've nevr heard of it, that the planet has been here 12,000 years, etc.)... this is garden-variety wacko shit, they'da found some excuse to do something crazy no matter what...
Flipper
QUOTE(coughlin @ May 11 2008, 08:21 PM) *

not at all, when you consider the larger beliefs (that non-believers should die even if they've nevr heard of it, that the planet has been here 12,000 years, etc.)...

From a belief vs. actual behavior standpoint, neither of your examples are anywhere near comparable to letting granny rot on the shitter.

You're comparing people believing silly things to people doing insane things.

Big difference.

Furthermore, no one really believes that the planet has only been here for 12,000 years. People who say they do know full well they're clinging a completely invalid notion.

They roll that shit out and around for religious shock value ... "Look how fundamentalist I am!!! Weeeeeee !!!!". The culinary equivalent would be people who hold their nose and pretend to like the taste of anchovies or limburger cheese... just to show what hardcore "foodies" they are.

rolleyes.gif <---- obligatory eyeroll emoticon activate !!!!

ImIdaho
QUOTE(Flipper @ May 11 2008, 08:31 PM) *

Furthermore, no one really believes that the planet has only been here for 12,000 years. People who say they do know full well they're clinging a completely invalid notion.

They roll that shit out and around for religious shock value ... "Look how fundamentalist I am!!! Weeeeeee !!!!". The culinary equivalent would be people who hold their nose and pretend to like the taste of anchovies or limburger cheese... just to show what hardcore "foodies" they are.

Fundies fail to think outside the box on this issue. God created the entire universe and would not be bound by Earth Time. So, one year to us, here on earth, is 365 days. Who the hell knows what a year means from God's perspective. He gave His word to Moses in terms that human beings here on earth could comprehend, he wasn't going to go on about quantum physics and stuff. No one would understand that at the time it was written.
coughlin
QUOTE(Flipper @ May 11 2008, 08:31 PM) *

From a belief vs. actual behavior standpoint, neither of your examples are anywhere near comparable to letting granny rot on the shitter.

You're comparing people believing silly things to people doing insane things.

Big difference.

yeah, like people who like nutella or don't like warren zevon are just pretending but the internet is all a movie anyway, blah blah, whatever the fuck, dude...
SOMEONE, obviously, is buying head cheese and all that other vile shit, or they wouldn't be in business...

my advice (to anyone) is, believe whatcha need to, try it sometime, it works both ways if ya let it...

i say this from the most passive of places, seriously, not arguing, nothing...
roll the eyes if it makes ya feel better...
i'm serene, baybee
Brootsquad
QUOTE(ImIdaho @ May 12 2008, 08:26 AM) *

Fundies fail to think outside the box on this issue. God created the entire universe and would not be bound by Earth Time. So, one year to us, here on earth, is 365 days. Who the hell knows what a year means from God's perspective. He gave His word to Moses in terms that human beings here on earth could comprehend, he wasn't going to go on about quantum physics and stuff. No one would understand that at the time it was written.

Uh oh....it looks like we have a Young Earth kook on our hands here! Get the pitchforks and torches boys, we're gonna have ourselves a lynchin'....
mach313
OMG! Gramma!
How people believe these things is incredible.
Flipper
QUOTE(coughlin @ May 12 2008, 09:30 AM) *

i'm serene, baybee

rolleyes.gif
benhamean
Granny will rise up
An 'outside the box' issue
Toilet messiah
benhamean
I may kill myself
to stop stop from writing haiku.
Arise like Granny.
ImIdaho
QUOTE(Brootsquad @ May 12 2008, 10:08 AM) *

Uh oh....it looks like we have a Young Earth kook on our hands here! Get the pitchforks and torches boys, we're gonna have ourselves a lynchin'....

Your reading comp. skills aren't too great, eh?
benhamean
QUOTE(ImIdaho @ May 12 2008, 12:47 PM) *

If you think outside the box, God may intend for interpretations like that to be made.
ImIdaho
QUOTE(benhamean @ May 12 2008, 01:59 PM) *

If you think outside the box, God may intend for interpretations like that to be made.

The literal fundamentalist interpretations?

It really amazes me what issues people choose to cling to in The Bible, and the ones they choose to ignore.
guest of a friend
Anyone else read World War Z?

The second she started moaning I'd stick a shovel into her skull.. then look for shelter!

smile.gif
Brootsquad
QUOTE(ImIdaho @ May 12 2008, 12:47 PM) *

No, but my comedy skills are off the CHARTS!

KAPOW!
Brootsquad
QUOTE(guest of a friend @ May 12 2008, 01:09 PM) *

The second she started moaning I'd stick a shovel into her skull.. then look for shelter!

smile.gif

I did. I assume the movie version will be very mockumentay/Cloverfield.

Could be cool.
benhamean
QUOTE(ImIdaho @ May 12 2008, 01:05 PM) *

The literal fundamentalist interpretations?

It really amazes me what issues people choose to cling to in The Bible, and the ones they choose to ignore.

Elitist
guest of a friend
QUOTE(Brootsquad @ May 12 2008, 01:17 PM) *

Could be cool.

exactly.. can't wait to see it... I really liked the book!
Jack
QUOTE(Brootsquad @ May 12 2008, 02:17 PM) *

Could be cool.

World War Z would have to be a series of movies...too much for 2 hours.

Back to the topic:
If grandma rises from the dead
Remember this simple rule:
Don't waste time with a body shot.
Kill the brain and you kill the ghoul.
ImIdaho
QUOTE(benhamean @ May 12 2008, 02:21 PM) *

Elitist

Hello Pot, I'm Kettle.
Brootsquad
QUOTE(Jack @ May 12 2008, 01:27 PM) *

World War Z would have to be a series of movies...too much for 2 hours.

Back to the topic:
If grandma rises from the dead
Remember this simple rule:
Don't waste time with a body shot.
Kill the brain and you kill the ghoul.

Nah, they can get it done in one film I think. I doubt JMS will stretch it out further.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a series of movies. Although I'd love an entire HBO series of The Walking Dead MUCH more.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816711/
His Daddy
QUOTE(benhamean @ May 12 2008, 12:24 PM) *

Granny will rise up
An 'outside the box' issue
Toilet messiah

"Toilet Messiah" has to be one of the funniest things in a while, especially in haiku.

QUOTE(guest of a friend @ May 12 2008, 02:09 PM) *

Huzzah. That was an awesome book. When the zombies come, I'll have my samurai sword ready, because when the end comes, it's samurai sword fightin' time.
Brootsquad
QUOTE(His Daddy @ May 12 2008, 01:53 PM) *

"Toilet Messiah" has to be one of the funniest things in a while, especially in haiku.
Huzzah. That was an awesome book. When the zombies come, I'll have my samurai sword ready, because when the end comes, it's samurai sword fightin' time.

Please tell me you read The Walking Dead.
His Daddy
QUOTE(Brootsquad @ May 12 2008, 03:04 PM) *

Please tell me you read The Walking Dead.

No, haven't heard about it. Do share, I'd be interested.
TEX
All I can think about is the goddamaned stench that must've generated!!

And where the hell did they go to the bathroom, if that was the only one in the house??

And I bet it got REALLY stinky when they took hot steamy showers??

The IMPORTANT questions that must be answered!
Brootsquad
QUOTE(His Daddy @ May 12 2008, 02:07 PM) *

Now, haven't heard about it. Do share, I'd be interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead

It's a comic, not a novel. And it's simply amazing. Tells the long version of what would happen if there was a zombie infestation and what people would do to survive. It's not a small tale told in one book or in a movie.

IPB Image
benhamean
QUOTE(TEX @ May 12 2008, 02:08 PM) *

All I can think about is the goddamaned stench that must've generated!!

And where the hell did they go to the bathroom, if that was the only one in the house??

And I bet it got REALLY stinky when they took hot steamy showers??

The IMPORTANT questions that must be answered!

If you think outside the box, God may intend the combined stench of feces and putrefaction to be pleasant.
His Daddy
QUOTE(benhamean @ May 12 2008, 03:25 PM) *

If you think outside the box, God may intend the combined stench of feces and putrefaction to be pleasant.

To a fly, a warm pile of feces smells like a porterhouse steak on the grill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.