Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! I'm a computer idiot.
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Sharpening Knives
What program should I use to type something up and send it as a ".doc" file?

I don't do much of this sort of thing.
FrankD
werd.

How did you actually manage to type something on the Noiseboard?
swid
Yeah, wow, that is impressive. If you don't have or want to buy Microsoft Office to get word, Open Office is a nice open source free equivalent.
Flipper

IPB Image
Sharpening Knives
I have Office, never have to use it for anything. I don't have an office job. I'm a cook, and believe it or not, we still don't use computers for that.
His Daddy
QUOTE(Sharpening Knives @ May 10 2008, 09:28 PM) *

I have Office, never have to use it for anything. I don't have an office job. I'm a cook, and believe it or not, we still don't use computers for that.

How do you type up your menus so people know what they can order?
Sharpening Knives
QUOTE(His Daddy @ May 10 2008, 08:50 PM) *

How do you type up your menus so people know what they can order?

In Word, which could well create doc. files for all I know, but I've never had to send a file where someone requested one particular format over another, so I've never had to pay attention. It has never had anything to do with my working (or playing) life. I know, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE TO BELIEVE!!!!!

I've probably sent a billion .doc files before, just wasn't aware of it. Someone has asked me to send something in that format specifically and it's a large manuscript with alot of odd formatting that could get screwed up if I have to cut and paste it at any point, so I want to do it correctly from the beginning.
Mrs. Rockit
.doc is the default (extension) for a Microsoft Word document.

.xls Excel

.ppt Powerpoint

.psd Adobe Photoshop

.ai Adobe Illustrator

etc...etc...etc...

So if you open up word - type whatever it is you need to do... go up to "File" "Save As", name the file ("menu" or whatever the subject of the document is) and hit "ok". You'll see the file on your desktop with the menu.doc

I highly suggest saving your document early on in the process and often there after - since it has wacky formatting etc.

I'm presuming you're on a PC and not MAC. Macintosh used to not use the extension(s).
Sharpening Knives
QUOTE(Mrs. Rockit @ May 10 2008, 09:25 PM) *

.doc is the default (extension) for a Microsoft Word document.

.xls Excel

.ppt Powerpoint

.psd Adobe Photoshop

.ai Adobe Illustrator

etc...etc...etc...

So if you open up word - type whatever it is you need to do... go up to "File" "Save As", name the file ("menu" or whatever the subject of the document is) and hit "ok". You'll see the file on your desktop with the menu.doc

I highly suggest saving your document early on in the process and often there after - since it has wacky formatting etc.

I'm presuming you're on a PC and not MAC. Macintosh used to not use the extension(s).

Thank you.
FrankD
good luck on this, let me know if I can help.
Hook Operator
QUOTE(Mrs. Rockit @ May 10 2008, 09:25 PM) *

You can get MS Office for the Mac and it saves in all of those formats... Illustrator, Photoshop, same thing.

However, I've been using Apple's Pages word processing program which I find superior to Word in many ways - it saves in its own format by default, but you can save as .doc.
coughlin
QUOTE(FrankD @ May 10 2008, 09:01 PM) *

werd.
How did you actually manage to type something on the Noiseboard?

good luck on this, let me know if I can help.

why didn't you just say that in the first place?
Mrs. Rockit
QUOTE(Sharpening Knives @ May 10 2008, 10:33 PM) *

Thank you.

You are most welcome.

QUOTE(Hook Operator @ May 11 2008, 01:05 AM) *

You can get MS Office for the Mac and it saves in all of those formats... Illustrator, Photoshop, same thing.

However, I've been using Apple's Pages word processing program which I find superior to Word in many ways - it saves in its own format by default, but you can save as .doc.

I figured as such now - except I doubt it saves .psd or .ai files.

I don't have MS Office for the MAC at home. We use PC's at work for our design projects - so if I need to use Word I do it at work. Haven't checked out the Mac "office" stuff. Mayhaps one o' these days.
Hook Operator
QUOTE(Mrs. Rockit @ May 11 2008, 09:29 AM) *

You are most welcome.
I figured as such now - except I doubt it saves .psd or .ai files.

I don't have MS Office for the MAC at home. We use PC's at work for our design projects - so if I need to use Word I do it at work. Haven't checked out the Mac "office" stuff. Mayhaps one o' these days.

I didn't mean to say that Word could save PSD or AI files; what I meant was you can of course run Photoshop and Illustrator on a Mac and it will save files that can be opened on a PC, which I guess is pretty obvious in retrospect.
FrankD
QUOTE(coughlin @ May 11 2008, 12:37 AM) *

why didn't you just say that in the first place?

handled that offline.
coughlin
QUOTE(FrankD @ May 11 2008, 11:55 PM) *

handled that offline.

awesome, hope you remembered the extra postage, rates went up y'know.
Thunder Horse
you can also change the extension from .doc to .txt

.txt = text file

text files are more universal (you're able to view with more programs)
and you won't have to deal with all that needless Microsoft formatting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.