Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: converting window AC to free standing AC
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Slim
Anyone know of some way to convert a window air conditioner unit to a free standing unit (the kind that doesn't have to be placed in a window)?
J_GuestNoMore
Does the fun never end? dry.gif
coughlin
i've never heard of them being convertible, i always understood they were totally different mechanically, hence one for windows, one not... but (and don't tell anyone), i've been wrong before...
Dook of Oil
Take your window A/C....through it through your neighbor's window. Steal something worth around $500....sell it....go buy free standing A/C
FrankD
I bought a Haier free standing jobby last year for about 300 american dollars and the souls of 16 dead chinamen.
Flipper
QUOTE(FrankD @ May 10 2008, 07:13 PM) *

I bought a Haier free standing jobby last year for about 300 american dollars and the souls of 16 dead chinamen.

Does it work well ?

My one experience with a free standing AC unit was not great.

I'm not sure what brand it was, but it was a 9,000 BTU model and couldn't even keep a 20 X 30 office well cooled.

His Daddy
QUOTE(Flipper @ May 10 2008, 08:21 PM) *

Does it work well ?
I'm not sure what brand it was, but it was a 9,000 BTU model and couldn't even keep a 20 X 30 office well cooled.

Play around with fans and flexible ducts. The air conditioner pulls heat out of the air, and in a sense becomes an electrical McDLT, in that the front keeps things cool and the back makes with the hot.

If you have a powerful enough fan that can wick away that heat and push it through an insulated piece of duct work out your window, that could do the trick. You will probably have to put a drip pan under the AC, as condensation will collect and usually runs out the back of the AC to the outside where the Earth swallows it up.

You'll probably put something together that's decent, but it's going to end up costing you a ton probably on your electric bill. In the end, it will be cheaper to buy a decent freestanding unit, though like Flip said, finding a decent one for short bread is hard to do.
HereWeGoSouthie
No such thing as a cheap free standing AC. We bought one a few years ago because the kids have only one window in their bedroom and I thought it was a hazard to force shut the only window in the room to hold an AC.

The one we bought was about $300 clams. It works very well - isn't that noisy or that big. The major negative is you have to empty the condensation pan after 6-8 hours depending upon humidity.
FrankD
QUOTE(Flipper @ May 10 2008, 07:21 PM) *

Does it work well ?

mine is more powerful?

it works pretty well.

Xmas tree shops had a model running as a demo.....out in the open store floor room.....I got mine for about 250 actually at Ocean State.
FrankD
QUOTE(HereWeGoSouthie @ May 10 2008, 07:40 PM) *

No such thing as a cheap free standing AC. We bought one a few years ago because the kids have only one window in their bedroom and I thought it was a hazard to force shut the only window in the room to hold an AC.

The one we bought was about $300 clams. It works very well - isn't that noisy or that big. The major negative is you have to empty the condensation pan after 6-8 hours depending upon humidity.

You must live near the ocean.

at least the pan pulls out easily. Ours gets filled every 3 weeks or so....
His Daddy
QUOTE(HereWeGoSouthie @ May 10 2008, 08:40 PM) *

The major negative is you have to empty the condensation pan after 6-8 hours depending upon humidity.

You know, this is a good point. Dry air sucks whether it's cold or hot. Why hasn't someone figured out a way to get the water back into the air as it goes out cool? Kinda like how they humidify oxygen systems these days, etc.
Slim
Huh. Thanks dudes...
Captain Stubing
QUOTE(HereWeGoSouthie @ May 10 2008, 07:40 PM) *

The major negative is you have to empty the condensation pan after 6-8 hours depending upon humidity.

QUOTE(His Daddy @ May 10 2008, 08:53 PM) *

Why hasn't someone figured out a way to get the water back into the air as it goes out cool? Kinda like how they humidify oxygen systems these days, etc.

Amcor Portable Air Conditioners don't have to be emptied...

Patented NanoMist technology is designed to automatically eliminate water collected while cooling, so you don't have to empty water buckets. Water is misted out the exhaust hose with the hot air, removing up to 60 pints of water per day.

We have one in our attic room... it cools good although it is pretty loud
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.