Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Own an embarrassing instrument?
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Pages: 1, 2
Geektastic Dave
Inspired by the PRS thread. Own something you are not proud of?

I'll contribute to this with the following:

Ibanez SR 405 Bass purchased in the late 90s while in High School. And yes, I have the 25 watt Crate practice amp to go along with this. laughing.gif

IPB Image
J_GuestNoMore
Yeah, it's kind of small. sad.gif
Geektastic Dave
QUOTE(J_GuestNoMore @ May 9 2008, 08:42 AM) *

Yeah, it's kind of small. sad.gif

There are ads in the back of Maxim that can help you with that.
afinemess

i have a Cort guitar that someone tried to sell to guitar center.. they wouldn't even give the dude $5 for it.. so he just left it on the counter & it was destined for the dumpster..

i don't even play guitar.. but i just couldn't in good faith let that end up in a landfill.

Jimmy - Jump
QUOTE(Geektastic Dave @ May 9 2008, 08:41 AM) *

Inspired by the PRS thread. Own something you are not proud of?

I'll contribute to this with the following:

Ibanez SR 405 Bass purchased in the late 90s while in High School. And yes, I have the 25 watt Crate practice amp to go along with this. laughing.gif

IPB Image

I'm embarrassed that I sold my '68 Mustang in 1996 for $350.00. I ain't talking about the kind Danny V drives either.
Geektastic Dave
QUOTE(afinemess @ May 9 2008, 08:45 AM) *

i have a Cort guitar that someone tried to sell to guitar center.. they wouldn't even give the dude $5 for it.. so he just left it on the counter & it was destined for the dumpster..

i don't even play guitar.. but i just couldn't in good faith let that end up in a landfill.

Sounds like prime material for smashing during a show. I tried to sell the Ibanez bass, but got offered 74 bucks in store credit.
Thunder Horse
one of these

IPB Image

(i still think its cool though)
drumdad
I own a djembe....

puke.gif
hobot
From a long time ago, not the worst thing in the world...

IPB Image

Now this thing, I thought it was cool in high school, and it's still sitting in my parents basement...

IPB Image

I keep thinking it may end up being useful one day for an electronic kit or something.
dtk
QUOTE(drumdad @ May 9 2008, 08:51 AM) *

I own a djembe....

I own two!...and they match..and the big one is 16" in diameter...

I also bought a slingerland steel snare of ebay and had it powder coated hot pink...its my daughters snare and it sounds pretty good...

I actually picked up a 4 pc Purple Premier drum kit (more lavender) and I keep thinking how cool the pink snare would look with it!

I do have a 10" Impact side snare I bought from Impacts only drum endourser...Bermuda Schwartz from Weird Al's band!...oh yea...purple sparkle! In fact I have a hole kit of Impacts...ex marching drums...funny looking but sound nice (www.impactind.com)

dtk

Geektastic Dave
QUOTE(drumdad @ May 9 2008, 08:51 AM) *

I own a djembe....

puke.gif

Drum circle! When I was at NU and walked down by Berklee in '01-'03 or so, it seemed everyone there was required to either be carrying one of these or a didgeridoo
afinemess
QUOTE(Geektastic Dave @ May 9 2008, 09:48 AM) *

Sounds like prime material for smashing during a show.

exactly!

IPB Image
smcd
I reject the notion that PRS's are embarrassing. I would say an "embarrassing" instrument is a cheap-ass Indonesian made Strat, or other such poor quality guitars. But since it's all about "image" with many here, that's apparently not the definition.

Therefore, I suppose I own a shitload of instruments that are "embarrassing"

Early 90's Kubicki X-Factor bass. IPB Image

Mine's fretless. How's THAT for douche points??

These basses sound and play fantastic. The build quality, fit and finish are a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Late 80's Ken Smith BT Custom IPB Image

Mine's a 4-string, not a 5.

Another incredible bass. An absolute work of art, and maybe the best sounding bass ever.

Mid 80's Alembic Spoiler IPB Image

Super nice. Kinda heavy, but beautifully made and good sounding and playing.

Late 80's Warwick Thumb bass - IPB Image

Again, very heavy for it's small size. But beautifully made and superb sounding.

Mid 90's Pedulla Rapture 5-string IPB Image

That's right. 5-string. In metallic purple!! Go eff yourself!!!

smcd
QUOTE(Thunder Horse @ May 9 2008, 08:49 AM) *

one of these

IPB Image

(i still think its cool though)

Theremins are way cool and in no way embarrassing!!
JodyThePig
QUOTE(smcd @ May 9 2008, 09:08 AM) *

That's right. 5-string. In metallic purple!! Go eff yourself!!!

For some reason, this statement has filled me with delight.
Thunder Horse

they can be a lot of fun, esp if you run it through a chain of effects
sixpinelbow
QUOTE(smcd @ May 9 2008, 10:08 AM) *

Now THIS is something we can agree upon.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do own a Tobias 5 string that has not seen the light of day since 2001. It's horrible.
Christóbal
I've got a set of bongos. Have yet to play them naked, though.
smcd
QUOTE(sixpinelbow @ May 9 2008, 09:24 AM) *

Now THIS is something we can agree upon.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do own a Tobias 5 string that has not seen the light of day since 2001. It's horrible.

Why is it horrible? I've never played one, but I would normally assume it couldn't be that bad.

I assume it's a Gibson Tobias. I'll never understand why a company like Gibson will buy out a small, quality company and then eliminate all the aspects that made them a quality name in the first place.
sixpinelbow
QUOTE(smcd @ May 9 2008, 10:49 AM) *

Why is it horrible? I've never played one, but I would normally assume it couldn't be that bad.

I assume it's a Gibson Tobias. I'll never understand why a company like Gibson will buy out a small, quality company and then eliminate all the aspects that made them a quality name in the first place.

Yes, it's Gibson one, I got it used in 97 or 98.

For starters, it is a 5 string. It's sounds ok in a unique farty old Les Claypool way, but that really isn't that much of a selling point to me these days. Plus, I am not a 400 lb. dude in a wedding band.
tom from out of town
caption this chubby dingleberry

IPB Image
sixpinelbow
QUOTE(tom from out of town @ May 9 2008, 11:08 AM) *

IPB Image

Stew Ham
benhamean
QUOTE(tom from out of town @ May 9 2008, 10:08 AM) *

IPB Image

In front of TFOOT, this bass actually looks less gay

Here's my embarrassing instrument-
IPB Image
Korg Triton

When I left my band, I started doing music on the computer- this thing is a beast for midi shit- nice sounds and lots of em. But, yeah, embarrassing...
smcd
QUOTE(sixpinelbow @ May 9 2008, 10:02 AM) *

Plus, I am not a 400 lb. dude in a wedding band.

Speaking of which, I also have one of these - IPB Image
Geektastic Dave
Uncle Fester was thrilled that the local VFW booked his band for their annual 4th of July cookout. The change from a creepy black robe, to cargo shorts was sure to do him some good
benhamean
All my guitars would probably embarrass most people, but I feel zero shame because of them:

IPB Image
BC Rich Eagle (mine is black and beat up, NJ)

IPB Image
BC Rich Wave (mine is black and beat up, NJ)

IPB Image
BC Rich Bich (mine is hideous eye-killing red and beat up- USA made, too)

IPB Image
BC Rich Mockingbird Bass (mine is white, too, beat up, and USA Made, not NJ like this one)
Geektastic Dave
QUOTE(smcd @ May 9 2008, 10:21 AM) *

That looks like the guy from Deep Wound.

IPB Image
tom from out of town
QUOTE(smcd @ May 9 2008, 11:21 AM) *

is he the one in the gimp suit in your basement?
mike oliver
Have a Strat copy made by Madeira? Right handed converted somewhat to a left handed. No pic, in storage, is this a portoguese guitar ? Madeira !

Also have Ibanez Midnight Blue acoustic/electric cutaway, black Stratocaster,acoustic Gibson Epiphone 12 string , and an Ovation 6 string acoustic. Crate 65 w lead amp and a traynor 45 year old tube amp in rough shape. Did I mention I suck badley at guitar? Well I do.
woodymq
QUOTE(mike oliver @ May 9 2008, 10:28 AM) *

Have a Strat copy made by Madeira? Right handed converted somewhat to a left handed. No pic, in storage, is this a portoguese guitar ? Madeira !

That was my first electric. Do you have the tobacco burst and black pickgaurd, too?

Put on your boots, we're goin to tone country!
smcd
QUOTE(benhamean @ May 9 2008, 10:23 AM) *

All my guitars would probably embarrass most people, but I feel zero shame because of them:
IPB Image
BC Rich Bich (mine is hideous eye-killing red and beat up- USA made, too)

IPB Image
BC Rich Mockingbird Bass (mine is white, too, beat up, and USA Made, not NJ like this one)

I used to think BC Rich's were hideous. I've come 180deg around on that. I think they're fantastic now. And the build quality of the USA models is superb.
Ron's Brother
IPB Image

mike oliver
QUOTE(woodymq @ May 9 2008, 10:30 AM) *

That was my first electric. Do you have the tobacco burst and black pickgaurd, too?

Put on your boots, we're goin to tone country!

YEA . What the fuck is it ? Portoguese or what?

laughing.gif
smcd
QUOTE(Geektastic Dave @ May 9 2008, 10:23 AM) *

That looks like the guy from Deep Wound.

IPB Image

Not him, though. I think it actually is a 400lb. guy in a wedding band.
Ron's Brother
IPB Image

Its 15W head and 2 - 10" speaker cabinets create a stack that is only 15"W x 37"H x 9"D,
smcd
QUOTE(tom from out of town @ May 9 2008, 10:27 AM) *

is he the one in the gimp suit in your basement?

I don't allow my gimps to smoke. It's a thing with me.
Thunder Horse
i'll say it again, BC Rich rules !!

IPB Image

in addition to the Warlock bass and JR-V shown here,
i also have a Warlock guitar (black) and most recently picked up this NJ classic Mockingbird

IPB Image
ghost of bobby dagon
i have an awesome aria pro that i tore the lock nut system out of and put a gibson style bridge on. so sweet.
benhamean
QUOTE(smcd @ May 9 2008, 10:30 AM) *

I used to think BC Rich's were hideous. I've come 180deg around on that. I think they're fantastic now. And the build quality of the USA models is superb.

How much more metal can you get? The answer is 'none'. None more metal.
woodymq
QUOTE(mike oliver @ May 9 2008, 10:34 AM) *

YEA . What the fuck is it ? Portoguese or what?

laughing.gif

It was Guild's cheap model line... equivalent to Gibson Epiphone or Fender Squier.

I'm pretty sure they were all made in some third-world asian country by the kids who couldn't get jobs at the Nike factory.
woodymq
Oh yeah, I play a PRS... laughing.gif
Jesus the 33rd
QUOTE(tom from out of town @ May 9 2008, 11:08 AM) *

IPB Image

"I wish I was in a Gazebo."
mfk

These basses sound and play fantastic. The build quality, fit and finish are a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Late 80's Ken Smith BT Custom IPB Image

I HEART Ken Smith Basses When i was a hippie living in Burlington, VT, i'd go into the music store every weekend and play one of these for like an hour. The sound is so nice and round, the tone is superb and playing them just feels so... perfect.

That being said, I'd never be caught dead playing one on stage though. (although i always keep an eye out for Smith bass strings, but they don't sell them around here)
openbar
I have a Peavey Milestone 12, a guitar that was such a commercial failure that I can't find a picture on google.
I was working in a music store in the late 80's, and it was too useful to pass up for wholesale. Sounds great, plays great, but looks like Gumby's doo rag. In charcoal metallic.
khan
QUOTE(openbar @ May 9 2008, 08:11 PM) *

I have a Peavey Milestone 12, a guitar that was such a commercial failure that I can't find a picture on google.
I was working in a music store in the late 80's, and it was too useful to pass up for wholesale. Sounds great, plays great, but looks like Gumby's doo rag. In charcoal metallic.

is it purple?
openbar
QUOTE(khan @ May 9 2008, 09:14 PM) *

is it purple?

I wish! Like I said, charcoal metallic. 80's rock!
khan
QUOTE(openbar @ May 9 2008, 08:31 PM) *

I wish! Like I said, charcoal metallic. 80's rock!

we need to jam
openbar
QUOTE(khan @ May 9 2008, 09:42 PM) *

we need to jam

You can borrow one of smcd's ugly basses.
stiggs
An embarrasing instrument? So you've heard of the Irish Curse?

Stiggs
dimenno
A Casio SK-1.

IPB Image

A red Chinese Harmonica in no known Western key:

IPB Image

Tubes of gloom aka gravity tubes:

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.