Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nightstage was levelled
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Muso
I dont recall hearing a word about it, but the building is gone. Amazing. I look forward to a new Dunkin Donuts or whatever goes up there.
screeg neegis
QUOTE(Muso @ Sep 24 2007, 02:50 PM) *

I dont recall hearing a word about it, but the building is gone. Amazing. I look forward to a new Dunkin Donuts or whatever goes up there.

Geez, too bad - I walked by there a few weeks ago and got a few photos of it (still in my undeveloped single-use camera).

I saw some good shows there in the 70s when it was The Club (The Destroyed, Reddy Teddy, Tracks and others), and saw Cecil Taylor there when it was Nightstage. I lived on Pine Street right behind it for 8 years, down at the corner of Pine and Washington (great little gang corner there at night) and walked by it all the time - I always hoped it could reopen in some form...
Anybody know about what the plans are for the location?
JuJuagogo
QUOTE(Muso @ Sep 24 2007, 02:50 PM) *

::THUD::

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You know when they shut down Manray and they sent out their distracting ruse about relocating to comfort those who had pretty much lived there for those oh so many years - I figured thats where they would have moved to. How sad - and not just about Manray not re-opening (that pisses me off) but that they closed that club down. I saw a lot of great shows there~!

Memmmmmmmmmorrrrrrrries
Room Starts Spinning
My very first gig w Classic Ruins was there (when it was The Club).
Also on the bill The Flies and the Del Fuegos.

I have a great Ramones boot from 1976 recorded there.

Saw Doug Sahm,Buddy Guy,Duke Robillard and
Ginger Baker/Jonas Hellborg (Morphine opening)
at Nightstage.

What a shame it's gone.
Mike Qube
QUOTE(screeg neegis @ Sep 24 2007, 12:57 PM) *

Geez, too bad - I walked by there a few weeks ago and got a few photos of it (still in my undeveloped single-use camera).

I saw some good shows there in the 70s when it was The Club (The Destroyed, Reddy Teddy, Tracks and others), and saw Cecil Taylor there when it was Nightstage. I lived on Pine Street right behind it for 8 years, down at the corner of Pine and Washington (great little gang corner there at night) and walked by it all the time - I always hoped it could reopen in some form...
Anybody know about what the plans are for the location?

I never realized that Nightstage was The Club. I have a Ramones bootleg that they recorded there in '76.
Muso
I saw a few greats that you sure can't see anymore- Junior Wells, Clifton Chenier, King Sunny Ade (not dead but will probaly never tour the US again). Also Lucinda Williams, Roger McGuinn (w/Elvis C. in the audience), Steeleye Span, Robyn Hitchcock, Dr. John, NRBQ. The scene has really suffered for lack ofa venue like this.
HomerRamone
QUOTE(Mike Qube @ Sep 24 2007, 04:30 PM) *
I never realized that Nightstage was The Club. I have a Ramones bootleg that they recorded there in '76.
I was at that show. I remember thinking, "I don't know what this is but I think I like it"...
3xxJim
I hear it's going to become more condo's.
dmcc
First "punk" show I ever saw was there in summer of 78- Baby's Arm and The Bimbos.

Also saw Screamin' Jay Hawkins there when it was Nightstage.

mach313
I did see a number of good shows there.
First and foremost in my mind was
the Big Boys from Austin,TX-one of the best bands i've ever seen.
also,The Necros,Toxic Reasons,Clitboys.
A neat room,it's too bad it never reopened.
The Ramones boot from there IS amazing.
guest_bob
affordable housing
Murdock8
I played my first adventure set show there smile.gif...mmmm That reminds me that my video tape of that is missing
guest_bob
QUOTE(guest_bob @ Sep 24 2007, 06:14 PM) *

affordable housing

100% affordablle (for folks earning 80% of AMI),
6 3-bedroom apts,
2 2-bedroom apts,
2 1-bedroom apts.

probably done in 12 to 14 months (maybe 10 if certain things happen)

This lot was purchased years ago by a guy who wanted to do market rate ($$$$) housing then he died and it was hung-up in an asset dispute by his benes ...and then a local non-prof 9just a start) stepped in and bought it.

It is sad when olde venues and bars and hangouts disappear ... but this is a pretty good way for it to go. imo.

screeg neegis
QUOTE(guest_bob @ Sep 24 2007, 06:27 PM) *

100% affordablle (for folks earning 80% of AMI),
6 3-bedroom apts,
2 2-bedroom apts,
2 1-bedroom apts.

probably done in 12 to 14 months (maybe 10 if certain things happen)

This lot was purchased years ago by a guy who wanted to do market rate ($$$$) housing then he died and it was hung-up in an asset dispute by his benes ...and then a local non-prof 9just a start) stepped in and bought it.

It is sad when olde venues and bars and hangouts disappear ... but this is a pretty good way for it to go. imo.

I agree - Cambridge needs housing for working class families.
Bring back Rent Control!
TOPPER
QUOTE(Murdock8 @ Sep 24 2007, 06:18 PM) *

I played my first adventure set show there smile.gif...mmmm That reminds me that my video tape of that is missing

I loved Adventure Set, saw them a bunch of times, often with Down Avenue, post Rumble. I sort of remember a show at ULowell, fall 1985.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.