Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Being a "Homer" sports fan -
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Danny Vermin
So I'm reading and posting in the sports section of another board, and pretty much every discussion consists of 2 or 3 fans of the Pats, Cowboys, or Colts talking about how dominating their favorite team is, followed by a choir of morons who either root for a losing team, or are apparently under the assumption that ESPN scouts it's on-air talent from obscure internet message boards, whose favorite chant is "you're a homer, you're not worth talking to".

So really - is being a "homer" fan really that bad of a faux pas? I understand not taking someone's opinion seriously because they are biased, but isn't the point of having teams to Root for them?

do people really think being impartial about sports is some sort of desirable quality?
DanPM
I don't think it's fair to root for one team ... the other team probably feels bad.
Unchained
I am a complete and total homer when it comes to Boston sports teams. I was born here, grew up here and currently reside here. That might have something to do with it and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it.
DanPM
IPB Image
Danny Vermin
QUOTE(Unchained @ Sep 24 2007, 02:48 PM) *

I am a complete and total homer when it comes to Boston sports teams. I was born here, grew up here and currently reside here. That might have something to do with it and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it.

Same here.

This whole thing about Wilfork is just ridiculous. He got tripped and fell down. Losman wasn't fuckignsmart enough to get out of the way. period.

But I've got a forum full of yahoo steakheads telling me it's just another example of the Pat's cheating, and anyone who doesn't think this is a "homer".
anatomicallyincorrect
No, but if you cast a vote for the presidency of Red Sox Nation, you're a hopeless douchenozzle.
DanPM
QUOTE(Danny Vermin @ Sep 24 2007, 02:52 PM) *

But I've got a forum full of yahoo steakheads telling me it's just another example of the Pat's cheating, and anyone who doesn't think this is a "homer".

is a yahoo steakhead worse than a homer?
Danny Vermin
QUOTE(anatomicallyincorrect @ Sep 24 2007, 02:52 PM) *

No, but if you cast a vote for the presidency of Red Sox Nation, you're a hopeless douchenozzle.

Well, yeah. But that's different. I'm not talking about being an obnoxious attention whore. I'm just talking about being in favor of your home team in an ordinary discussion about sports.
His Daddy
QUOTE(Danny Vermin @ Sep 24 2007, 02:52 PM) *

Same here.
This whole thing about Wilfork is just ridiculous. He got tripped and fell down. Losman wasn't fuckignsmart enough to get out of the way. period.

I'm a big Pates fan myself, and I do like to give those guys the benefit of the doubt because a lot of them do play hard, but play fair. For example, watching Vrabel pick up Lynch after tackling him. Obviously it's a game, and nothing personal.

But Wilfolk's hit was utter bullshit and terrible acting. You see him get eyes on Losman, and then turn and shove his elbow out to make that hit. It's not like he was trying to avoid it. The slo-mo shows he saw where he was going, and instead of sticking out his arms to deaden his fall like he normally would have, he turns at the last minute and sticks his elbow out far to make the hit. Absolute bullshit, and I hope the motherfucker gets a huge fine for it.

I love the Pates, but even I admit that Rodney Harrison is the cheapest, nastiest player in the game. When he got his knee railroaded it was total payback for his doing it to plenty other players before.
His Daddy
QUOTE(anatomicallyincorrect @ Sep 24 2007, 02:52 PM) *

BTW - Fitzy over at TownieNews wasn't selected for the finalists for the election! Pretty pathetic election they've got going on.
DanPM
QUOTE(His Daddy @ Sep 24 2007, 02:59 PM) *

I'm a big Pates fan myself, and I do like to give those guys the benefit of the doubt because a lot of them do play hard, but play fair. For example, watching Vrabel pick up Lynch after tackling him. Obviously it's a game, and nothing personal.

But Wilfolk's hit was utter bullshit and terrible acting. You see him get eyes on Losman, and then turn and shove his elbow out to make that hit. It's not like he was trying to avoid it. The slo-mo shows he saw where he was going, and instead of sticking out his arms to deaden his fall like he normally would have, he turns at the last minute and sticks his elbow out far to make the hit. Absolute bullshit, and I hope the motherfucker gets a huge fine for it.

I love the Pates, but even I admit that Rodney Harrison is the cheapest, nastiest player in the game. When he got his knee railroaded it was total payback for his doing it to plenty other players before.

Awayer!
HomerRamone
IPB Image
Billy Chapel
QUOTE(His Daddy @ Sep 24 2007, 02:59 PM) *

I agree and disagree with you. I think Wilfork intentionally tried to hit Losman, but the intent to injure couldn't have been there. When it comes down to it, these guys all respect each other, and for the most part avoid career-ending type stuff.

Also, Wilfork is a tough player - but no one has ever called him dirty as far as I can remember.

DanPM
there are no homers in Iran
Billy Chapel
Homer vs. Non Homer Boston fan:

who is the best baseball player ever?

Homer Boston fan: Dood, Teddy Bahhlgame! best Eva!!

Non Homer Boston fan: Probably Willie Mays, or Babe Ruth - you might even throw Mantle in there.

Who is the best hockey player ever?

Homer Boston fan: Bobby Ooooah!! Dood!!

Non Homer Boston fan: It's really one of three guys - Mario, Wayne or Bobby. I gotta go Bobby because he's the home town guy.

Who is the best basketball player ever?

Homer Boston fan: Dude, Larry Bird - he did it all!!! He was the smahhtest playa eva!

Non Homer Boston fan: I'd love to say Bill Russel - 12 rings is hard to deny. But that was a different era with no free agency and teams that couldn't be broken up. So, you really have to go with jordan.

Who is the best QB ever?

Homer Boston fan: Dooooooood.....come on, guy!! Brady's the balls! He's way smahta than anyone eva!

Non Homer Boston fan: I mean, the first name that comes to mind is always Montana. but you can't forget Unitas, Elway, Marino and even Farve. Brady may one day be in that conversation. But not yet.

Which team was most dominating in it's respective sport?

Homer Boston fan: DUDE!! It's, ah, like the B's in the 1970's, the C's in the 1960's and those early 1900's Red Sox DOMINATED, dude....And this pats dynasty? Clearly the bets ever.

Non Homer Boston fan: Well, lets see - Montreal Canadians, 24 championships, Yankees 26 - so there's your answer there..You gotta go with the celtics of the 1960's - although the Bulls would make a good argument and you really have to consider the pro-NFL dominance of the Packers, no? Otherwise, the Pats actually have a chance to be one of the best.

Make sense to all of you?

tenebr8
Again, I find myself in the odd position of being on Danny's side. I don't understand how "homer" ever became a pejorative. Are New Englanders supposed to root for the Packers, because they're off to such a great start? Is the reality of Dice-K's numbers supposed to make Sox fans root for another team? That's all bullshit. You root for YOUR team until they are eliminated. That is what fans do.
tenebr8
QUOTE(Billy Chapel @ Sep 24 2007, 04:45 PM) *

Homer vs. Non Homer Boston fan:

who is the best baseball player ever?

Homer Boston fan: Dood, Teddy Bahhlgame! best Eva!!

Non Homer Boston fan: Probably Willie Mays, or Babe Ruth - you might even throw Mantle in there.

Who is the best hockey player ever?

Homer Boston fan: Bobby Ooooah!! Dood!!

Non Homer Boston fan: It's really one of three guys - Mario, Wayne or Bobby. I gotta go Bobby because he's the home town guy.

Who is the best basketball player ever?

Homer Boston fan: Dude, Larry Bird - he did it all!!! He was the smahhtest playa eva!

Non Homer Boston fan: I'd love to say Bill Russel - 12 rings is hard to deny. But that was a different era with no free agency and teams that couldn't be broken up. So, you really have to go with jordan.

Who is the best QB ever?

Homer Boston fan: Dooooooood.....come on, guy!! Brady's the balls! He's way smahta than anyone eva!

Non Homer Boston fan: I mean, the first name that comes to mind is always Montana. but you can't forget Unitas, Elway, Marino and even Farve. Brady may one day be in that conversation. But not yet.
Which team was most dominating in it's respective sport?

Homer Boston fan: DUDE!! It's, ah, like the B's in the 1970's, the C's in the 1960's and those early 1900's Red Sox DOMINATED, dude....And this pats dynasty? Clearly the bets ever.

Non Homer Boston fan: Well, lets see - Montreal Canadians, 24 championships, Yankees 26 - so there's your answer there..You gotta go with the celtics of the 1960's - although the Bulls would make a good argument and you really have to consider the pro-NFL dominance of the Packers, no? Otherwise, the Pats actually have a chance to be one of the best.
Make sense to all of you?

Very well said. The first NB post I have actually printed out to show to others.
Billy Chapel
QUOTE(tenebr8 @ Sep 24 2007, 04:49 PM) *

Very well said. The first NB post I have actually printed out to show to others.

nice!
DanPM
IPB Image
newfakename
Don't be denied.

IPB Image
sixpinelbow
That hit on Losman was fuckin' cheap. If it had happened to Brady all the Pats fans would be calling for Schobel's head on a plate. I don't think Wilfork (or anyone else on the Pats) woke up yesterday morning thinking they had to take out JP in order to win the game, but it was clearly a dumb decision and he should be fined.

That said, thank you Mr. Wilfork for sparing us Bills fans two more games with Lose-man at the helm. Word has it that Jauron picked up Trent Edwards on the advice of the late Bill Walsh as he watched him his entire career. That guy knows how to spot a good QB from what I remember...

I'm a homer when it comes to the Bills, but also a realist. I don't plan on seeing my team play in January until at least 2011. Atr least I got the Sabres...
His Daddy
QUOTE(sixpinelbow @ Sep 24 2007, 08:17 PM) *

That said, thank you Mr. Wilfork for sparing us Bills fans two more games with Lose-man at the helm. Word has it that Jauron picked up Trent Edwards on the advice of the late Bill Walsh as he watched him his entire career. That guy knows how to spot a good QB from what I remember...

As soon as Wilfork hit Losman I said out loud, "That's the dumbest thing the Pates could have done." Not because of the potential punishment for a personal foul, but because the backup quarterback (Edwards) is much better than Losman. When the Bills actually start playing better this year, somebody better give Wilfork a call to thank him.
sixpinelbow
QUOTE(His Daddy @ Sep 24 2007, 09:49 PM) *

When the Bills actually start playing better this year

Have you seen the injury report out of Orchard Park? It's only going to get worse. But yes, I am thinking the Great JP Losman Experiment is about to come to an end...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.