Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sox clinch playoff berth
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
tenebr8
and no one mentions it?

Oh, it's Saturday night, and everyone is out having fun. Sigh.

I still want them to win the fucking division.

And for you NASCAR fans, the smart money is on Jimmie Johnson tomorrow, but Truex is a dark horse that could pay big. You heard it here!
Defbil
Nice on the Sox.
Nice on NASCAR, too. They're back on regualr tv so I should be able to watch tomorrow.
tenebr8
QUOTE(Defbil @ Sep 23 2007, 12:45 AM) *

Nice on the Sox.
Nice on NASCAR, too. They're back on regualr tv so I should be able to watch tomorrow.

Should be some good racing. From now until the end. I still have to get my tattoo modified to change the 8 to an 88;)
His Daddy
I'm dropping Dice-K in all of my fantasy leagues.

Should have done as much like 2 months ago, but I blew it.
Atom Brain
Do I understand correctly that if the Sox win the wildcard and not the division the Yankees have to play the Angels (the Angels have owned the Yankees for the last two or three years) in their first round? That would be a decent consolation prize. Not that I think the Indians are a cupcake team at all, but the second half of the season the Yanks handed the Sox their asses, and on the other side of things, I like their chances against the Angels. IF they drop the division and can get past the tribe, I see that as their best chance...
Soup
not to be a douche-nerd, but Gagne didn't pitch a perfect inning (he issued a walk). But all told, good stuff.
Atom Brain
QUOTE(Soup @ Sep 23 2007, 08:52 AM) *

not to be a douche-nerd, but Gagne didn't pitch a perfect inning (he issued a walk). But all told, good stuff.

Still though, while I know a good inning is a good inning, at the time of the Gagne trade did any of us thinking we'd be cautiously optimistic after he had a good outing against the D-rays? Ugh.
mhaverty
QUOTE(Atom Brain @ Sep 23 2007, 08:51 AM) *

Do I understand correctly that if the Sox win the wildcard and not the division the Yankees have to play the Angels (the Angels have owned the Yankees for the last two or three years) in their first round? That would be a decent consolation prize. Not that I think the Indians are a cupcake team at all, but the second half of the season the Yanks handed the Sox their asses, and on the other side of things, I like their chances against the Angels. IF they drop the division and can get past the tribe, I see that as their best chance...

In 1999 the sox took 3 of 4 from the Yankees at home at the end of July and then swept them in the stadium in the 2nd week of September.

The sox pretty much got crushed in the 1999 ALCS.
Atom Brain
QUOTE(mhaverty @ Sep 23 2007, 09:33 AM) *

In 1999 the sox took 3 of 4 from the Yankees at home at the end of July and then swept them in the stadium in the 2nd week of September.

The sox pretty much got crushed in the 1999 ALCS.

So by your logic it they match ups don't matter at all? Sorry, I don't believe that. For every 1999 there are tons of other times in the play-offs where a team that owned another one during the year continued to do so in October. We all know anything can happen, but it's still not dumb to look at the regular season as some kind of indicator. If I had by druthers the Sox would play the teams they had the least amount of trouble with.
mhaverty
QUOTE(Atom Brain @ Sep 23 2007, 09:39 AM) *

So by your logic it they match ups don't matter at all? Sorry, I don't believe that. For every 1999 there are tons of other times in the play-offs where a team that owned another one during the year continued to do so in October. We all know anything can happen, but it's still not dumb to look at the regular season as some kind of indicator. If I had by druthers the Sox would play the teams they had the least amount of trouble with.

No match ups do matter a little but not as much in a 5 game series. How the Sox played against the Yankees the last two series doesn't matter at all. I would rather face Lackey in a 5 game series twice than have to face the front end of Clevelands rotation.

Did you notice the sox were doing a lot of small ball things last night? I don't know if that was co-incidence.... It would be pretty damn cool to see everybody in the line up trying to drop down bunts in game situations for the last 7 games.
Atom Brain
QUOTE(mhaverty @ Sep 23 2007, 10:33 AM) *

No match ups do matter a little but not as much in a 5 game series. How the Sox played against the Yankees the last two series doesn't matter at all. I would rather face Lackey in a 5 game series twice than have to face the front end of Clevelands rotation.

Did you notice the sox were doing a lot of small ball things last night? I don't know if that was co-incidence.... It would be pretty damn cool to see everybody in the line up trying to drop down bunts in game situations for the last 7 games.

I feel like they've been doing a lot more small ball over all in the second half of the season. It's good to see. I like the manufactured run.
Slim
Despite the Angels admittedly owning the Yankees, the Indians look to be real tough with two bonafide aces. The Angels starters don't scare me nearly as much as Sabathia and Carmona.
Atom Brain
QUOTE(Slim @ Sep 23 2007, 11:43 AM) *

Despite the Angels admittedly owning the Yankees, the Indians look to be real tough with two bonafide aces. The Angels starters don't scare me nearly as much as Sabathia and Carmona.

Tis true. But were I Yankees fan like you I wouldn't want to face the Angels if I could avoid it. Sometimes a team just seems to have your number.

And as a Sox fan I fully admit, I don't like the Sox chances against the Yankees in the post-season. Aside from facing the banged up Yankees early on in the season, the Bombers have mostly had their way with the Sox.
Righteous Indignation Alert
QUOTE(Slim @ Sep 23 2007, 11:43 AM) *

Carmona is not an ace. He's a rookie with great command and a so-so strikeout rate (133 Ks in 205 IP).
ray fernandes
QUOTE(Soup @ Sep 23 2007, 08:52 AM) *

At least he didn't give up a devastating 3 run bomb.
So I'll consider that a perfect inning.
anatomicallyincorrect
QUOTE(Righteous Indignation Alert @ Sep 23 2007, 12:08 PM) *

Carmona is not an ace. He's a rookie with great command and a so-so strikeout rate (133 Ks in 205 IP).

And leads the AL in ERA.
FrankD
the division winner with best record faces the wild card UNLESS the wildcard is in teh same division, then the Division winner plays the Div Winner with worst record.

last night the redsox JUST reclaimed best record in all the majors, so yeah, we're in the drivers seat....

Indians and Angels near tied....like two years ago, it could be that ALL 4 playoff teams have identical records.....
Righteous Indignation Alert
QUOTE(anatomicallyincorrect @ Sep 23 2007, 12:15 PM) *

And leads the AL in ERA.

And he has a BABIP of .267. Your point?
Defbil
QUOTE(ray fernandes @ Sep 23 2007, 12:11 PM) *

At least he didn't give up a devastating 3 run bomb.
So I'll consider that a perfect inning.

C'mon- he ain't gonna give up 3 run bombs. He'd have to throw a strike in order to do that.
Slim
QUOTE(Righteous Indignation Alert @ Sep 23 2007, 12:20 PM) *

And he has a BABIP of .267. Your point?

Regardless, the Indians have the best 1 & 2 starters by far. And Carmona, like Sabathia, can dominate a game and pitch like an ace.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.