Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NH Tech Firm Tangled in Iran Scam
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Lester Lightbulb
Tech firm tangled in Iran scam
Link to story
By ASHLEY SMITH Telegraph Staff
Published: Friday, Sep. 21, 2007

A Nashua surveillance technology company is one of several companies across the United States that was scammed into selling military-type products illegally destined for Iran, the U.S. Department of Justice reports.

DCT Communications Inc., of 486 Amherst St., which sells electronic communications equipment to government agencies, was told the products would be used by the Polish Border Control Agency.

According to federal court records and Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd, U.S. companies are not required to seek specific government authorization for that kind of "peaceful" sale.

But in fact, the Netherlands aviation company was violating a trade embargo by sending products such as parachutes, aircraft parts and industrial chemicals to Iran, according to a statement this week from the justice department.

"U.S. companies are mostly very good about not selling products to Iran . . . it's against the law," Boyd said, stressing the U.S. companies were not at fault. "In this case these companies were being lied to."

The Netherlands company accused of selling products to Iran is called Aviation Services International B.V. Owner Robert Kraaipoel, 64, of the Netherlands, faces a slew of criminal charges but has yet to be captured. Kraaipoel was charged following a federal investigation conducted by the Department of Homeland Security and Department of Commerce, with help from the FBI and Defense Criminal Investigative Service.

In total, Kraaipoel was successful in getting 290 items into Iran, Boyd said.

DTC did not return a phone call seeking comment Thursday, but details of the company's involvement are spelled out in court records.

On Oct. 28, 2005, Aviation Services placed an order with DTC for two video receiver units, according to a criminal complaint against Kraaipoel filed in U.S. District Court.

Days later, on Nov. 3, a DTC employee sent an e-mail to the company requesting to know the products' final destination, as is required by federal law. When the response was Poland, the products were shipped Nov. 5.

Aviation placed a second order later that month and another shipment was exported in early 2006.

Polish border guards later told the FBI they would have no need for that type of equipment and had never done business with Aviation Services, according to the court records.

Aviation is also accused of scamming companies in Arizona, Connecticut, Florida and Kansas. Kraaipoel, the company and two other related firms are named in the complaint.

The maximum penalty for violating the trade embargo on Iran is 20 years in prison and/or a $250,000 fine.

The goods were being sent to Iranian government agencies or private companies doing business in Iran.
His Daddy
You know, the Dutch may not have done anything wrong. They said they were buying the stuff for the Poles. It's totally plausible that the Poles accidentally mailed it to Iran.
LocalWiseMan
With all his bare linking and reposting of entire articles, Lester is really doing a great favor to those of us who have never heard of the Internet.
Lester Lightbulb
Blow me.
Mike C
QUOTE(LocalWiseMan @ Sep 22 2007, 01:58 PM) *

With all his bare linking and reposting of entire articles, Lester is really doing a great favor to those of us who have never heard of the Internet.

And I'm glad you keep the link to "The Gloucesterman" in your signature. You never know when I might want to read that boring trash. I might have missed it the first 3,154 times that you posted it.

Before you start trashing other people you might want to stop polluting the noise with utter crap.
FrankD
QUOTE(Mike C @ Sep 22 2007, 02:35 PM) *

And I'm glad you keep the link to "The Gloucesterman" in your signature. You never know when I might want to read that boring trash. I might have missed it the first 3,154 times that you posted it.

Before you start trashing other people you might want to stop polluting the noise with utter crap.

all ink is good ink.

now lets go back to making fun of pollacks
LocalWiseMan
Who pissed in your Fritos, pothead?
Mike C
QUOTE(LocalWiseMan @ Sep 22 2007, 03:21 PM) *

The guy who bequeathed Gloucester "Dogtown". Bubbaville is less the 20 minutes by car and the real "Dogtown".

Mike C
QUOTE(FrankD @ Sep 22 2007, 03:07 PM) *

all ink is good ink.

now lets go back to making fun of pollacks

Agreed not even seriously poking fun of the work, just throwing it back at a hater that seems to like something.
LocalWiseMan
QUOTE(Mike C @ Sep 22 2007, 04:20 PM) *

Agreed not even seriously poking fun of the work, just throwing it back at a hater that seems to like something.
You're right, though. I should dedicate my time less to innovative literature and more to smoking dope.
Mike C
QUOTE(LocalWiseMan @ Sep 22 2007, 05:03 PM) *

You're right, though. I should dedicate my time less to innovative literature and more to smoking dope.

Pot's not going to cure your douchiness. "innovative literature".
LocalWiseMan
QUOTE(Mike C @ Sep 22 2007, 05:38 PM) *

Pot's not going to cure your douchiness.
If you're any indication, Mike, it will do wonders for my credulity.

"innovative literature"
How to describe Monet to a blind man? You'll have to give me some time on this one, Mike.
FrankD
QUOTE(LocalWiseMan @ Sep 22 2007, 03:21 PM) *

laughing.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif

SLAM of the day!!!
FrankD
How do any of the last seven posts denigrate polish people? No more Submarines with screen doors?
His Daddy
QUOTE(FrankD @ Sep 22 2007, 08:25 PM) *

How do any of the last seven posts denigrate polish people? No more Submarines with screen doors?

Did you hear the Polish bought 10,000 septic tanks? As soon as they learn how to drive them, they're going to invade Germany.
Brian McCaffrey
QUOTE(Lester Lightbulb @ Sep 22 2007, 02:14 PM) *

Blow me.

fascinating. will this happen on the board or off?
FrankD
QUOTE(His Daddy @ Sep 22 2007, 09:48 PM) *

Did you hear the Polish bought 10,000 septic tanks? As soon as they learn how to drive them, they're going to invade Germany.

Hey YOooooo!
coughlin

so what's the official time limit on sigs, then?
i guess everyone w/a band or a myspace or whatever should take theirs down too, in case you don't wanna read them either.
seems only fair.

i like the site myself, i wish i could live there.

Mike C
QUOTE(LocalWiseMan @ Sep 22 2007, 07:27 PM) *

If you're any indication, Mike, it will do wonders for my credulity.

How to describe Monet to a blind man? You'll have to give me some time on this one, Mike.

Douche.
Mike C
QUOTE(coughlin @ Sep 23 2007, 12:39 AM) *

so what's the official time limit on sigs, then?
i guess everyone w/a band or a myspace or whatever should take theirs down too, in case you don't wanna read them either.
seems only fair.

i like the site myself, i wish i could live there.

If you are a douche, yeah, you shouldn't promote your "innovative" crap here.
coughlin
QUOTE(Mike C @ Sep 23 2007, 12:46 PM) *

If you are a douche, yeah, you shouldn't promote your "innovative" crap here.

lucky --- for me, anyway, i can't think of one soul i'd put in charge of deciding what's douche & what's innovative.
Mike C
QUOTE(coughlin @ Sep 23 2007, 01:40 PM) *

lucky --- for me, anyway, i can't think of one soul i'd put in charge of deciding what's douche & what's innovative.

we have a winner.
coughlin
by the way, i believe there's a "block sigs" option
FrankD
QUOTE(coughlin @ Sep 23 2007, 06:02 PM) *

by the way, i believe there's a "block sigs" option

Technology rules.

I've forgotten to change my sig in about two years
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.