Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
Danny Vermin
I had my doubts, and waited till the hype had blown over to see these movies.

Fucking awesome. best cross of comedy and horror I've seen, ever. Nick Frost is hilarious.

I really couldn't believe they got Bill Nighy, Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark, and fucking James Bond all in a horror comedy movie.

And I don't know who the girlfriend in Shaun of the Dead was, but she's like Renee Zellweger, except hotter, and not nearly as annoying.
AckAckAckAck
quick, tell us what you think of wes anderson now. all this praise coming from you about something is unsettling.
sniffawhiffoniff
dude, you can't even compare renee zellweger to her, she is wayyyyy hotter

and Hot Fuzz was good but not as good as Shaun of the Dead
allie
Loved Shaun of the Dead. The 2nd half of Hot Fuzz is the plan for today.
Danny Vermin
QUOTE(AckAckAckAck @ Sep 21 2007, 12:00 PM) *

quick, tell us what you think of wes anderson now. all this praise coming from you about something is unsettling.

Meh.

I like Bill Murray a lot, so I can stomach some of Life Aquatic, (Willem Dafoe is awesome in it) but the Royal Tennenbaums was a terrible, ponderous mess. I think he's overrated and most of it comes off like a maudlin hollywood "humorist" inside joke they desperately don't want to let anyone in on.

I'll take the Christopher Guest style of subtle, sarcastic humor/irony over Wes Anderson's hipster chic ethos any day.
dhyal
Shaun of the Dead is easily one of my favorite movies of the last 10 years.

Hot Fuzz was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as Shaun of the Dead.
lusting_kay
QUOTE(dhyal @ Sep 21 2007, 12:06 PM) *

I agree, but the second half of Hot Fuzz just MADE the movie, which is very different than many american movies where they have a concept, and really no way to resolve it. Both Excellent movies, but Shawn was better.
dhyal
QUOTE(lusting_kay @ Sep 21 2007, 12:11 PM) *

I agree, but the second half of Hot Fuzz just MADE the movie, which is very different than many american movies where they have a concept, and really no way to resolve it.

As a huge fan of stupid, over the top action/buddy cop movies, that whole last 20 or 30 minutes ranks up there with some of the most fun I've had at the movies.

And they didn't need giant robots, Arnold, or a comic book franchise to do it.
MikeG
Shaun of the dead = 8 or 9 on my scale. Great movie. Horror/Comedy zombie movies are nothing new, but this was a great one.

Hot Fuzz = probably a 7 on my scale. I agree with statements in this thread, the second half is incredible.
MikeG
IPB Image
jonah
I do think that Hot Fuzz took a while to get moving, but the lack of action was balanced by the plot development...I got a bit perterbed at first by all of the puns...but after a while I loved them.

I am psyched to see it again.

I think Shaun of the Dead was an instant classic, and after a few more viewings, I might feel the same about Hot Fuzz, if that makes sense.
RJC
LOVED Shaun of the Dead. Waiting for Hot Fuzz on my Netflix queue, but may have to move it up a bit now.

The girlfriend from Shaun of the Dead is Kate Ashfield:

IPB Image
Billy Chapel
QUOTE(Danny Vermin @ Sep 21 2007, 12:05 PM) *

Meh.

I like Bill Murray a lot, so I can stomach some of Life Aquatic, (Willem Dafoe is awesome in it) but the Royal Tennenbaums was a terrible, ponderous mess. I think he's overrated and most of it comes off like a maudlin hollywood "humorist" inside joke they desperately don't want to let anyone in on.

I'll take the Christopher Guest style of subtle, sarcastic humor/irony over Wes Anderson's hipster chic ethos any day.

that's not even a comparison...

Wes Anderson is super funny...

But the Christopher Guest movies are hilarious.

Different kinds of humor, I think.
(x)
QUOTE(dhyal @ Sep 21 2007, 12:06 PM) *

This is why I've been reluctant to watch Hot Fuzz, I may expect too much because of how much I liked Shaun of the Dead. Maybe I'll watch this weekend.
dhyal
QUOTE((x) @ Sep 21 2007, 03:16 PM) *

This is why I've been reluctant to watch Hot Fuzz, I may expect too much because of how much I liked Shaun of the Dead. Maybe I'll watch this weekend.

It's totally worth watching and stands on it's own as a very good movie. Shaun is just a total homerun of a movie, so it's tough to live up to.
elk
Timothy Dalton's scene at the end of Hot Fuzz was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. My gf actually made fun of me because I was still laughing about it on the subway ride home.

"thish rilly, rilly hurtsh."
Danny Vermin
QUOTE(elk @ Sep 21 2007, 03:22 PM) *

Timothy Dalton's scene at the end of Hot Fuzz was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. My gf actually made fun of me because I was still laughing about it on the subway ride home.

"thish rilly, rilly hurtsh."

the fact that he was in it had me in tears the whole time. He's fucking brilliant in it. the jogging scene that first introduces him is great.
elk
QUOTE(Danny Vermin @ Sep 21 2007, 03:23 PM) *

the fact that he was in it had me in tears the whole time. He's fucking brilliant in it. the jogging scene that first introduces him is great.

You know, a few minutes ago I thought about the jogging seen and started cracking up.

YARP. YARP...um, narp?
MikeG
QUOTE((x) @ Sep 21 2007, 03:16 PM) *

Just to put this in perspective, saying that Hot Fuzz is not as good as Sean of the Dead is akin to saying that Sex with 2 girls at once is not as good as with 3 girls at once.
Danny Vermin
QUOTE(MikeG @ Sep 21 2007, 04:00 PM) *

Just to put this in perspective, saying that Hot Fuzz is not as good as Sean of the Dead is akin to saying that Sex with 2 girls at once is not as good as with 3 girls at once.

Pretty much.

I saw them in reverse order, and I think Hot Fuzz is a better "movie" even though shaun was really well written and conceived.

but then, if Shaun of teh Dead had the budget that Hot fuzz had, it would probably have been overkill.
Hook Operator
I liked Shaun of the Dead a lot, but really found Hot Fuzz to be irritating. Perhaps it's because I loathe the types of movies they're parodying? Anyway, I had a hard time getting through it.
argo
I like Hot Fuzz better than Shaun of the Dead, but not by much. They're both awesome.

I think Hot Fuzz's slow start is intentional. I've seen it twice, and it just seems to deliberately build up in greatness until the very end, so the momentum is never lost. That's where they differ from the usual action movie 3-scene setpieces, and it works.
Hook Operator
QUOTE(argo @ Sep 22 2007, 11:04 AM) *

I like Hot Fuzz better than Shaun of the Dead, but not by much. They're both awesome.

I think Hot Fuzz's slow start is intentional. I've seen it twice, and it just seems to deliberately build up in greatness until the very end, so the momentum is never lost. That's where they differ from the usual action movie 3-scene setpieces, and it works.

Maybe I'm going to sound like an irritable old man, but the sound effects, editing, and music made me unable to enjoy it at all. I know what they were going for - parodying big, stupid cop buddy movies - but I couldn't watch Hot Fuzz for the same reasons that I couldn't watch, say, Bad Boys.
DanPM
Ed: "Purple Rain"?
Shaun: No.
Ed: "Sign o' the Times"?
Shaun: Definitely not.
Ed: The "Batman" soundtrack?
Shaun: Throw it.
Danny Vermin
QUOTE(DanPM @ Sep 22 2007, 11:35 AM) *

Ed: "Purple Rain"?
Shaun: No.
Ed: "Sign o' the Times"?
Shaun: Definitely not.
Ed: The "Batman" soundtrack?
Shaun: Throw it.

"Sade"
"It's not mine."
argo
QUOTE(Hook Operator @ Sep 22 2007, 11:22 AM) *

Maybe I'm going to sound like an irritable old man, but the sound effects, editing, and music made me unable to enjoy it at all. I know what they were going for - parodying big, stupid cop buddy movies - but I couldn't watch Hot Fuzz for the same reasons that I couldn't watch, say, Bad Boys.

Well, yeah. The movie was poking fun of action movies, but it's pretty obvious that they love those movies too. The sound effects, editing and music were perfect for what they were attempting. If you don't like the genre, then it's reasonable that you didn't like the movie, but for me, I friggin' love ridiculous action movies so I loved Hot Fuzz.
allie
"By the power of Grayskull!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.