Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attn Car Buffs!
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
mfk
So I've got this 2001 Honda Accord 5 speed. A couple weeks ago, a check engine light came on and it started acting funny. When I'd get up to about 3000 RPMs in either first or 2nd gear, the car would start 'hiccupping" until i shifted to 3rd. I brought it to my mechanic and a week and $500 labor, i get it back and it's doing the same thing. So i bring it back and they do a a shitload of work on it, changing belts, replacing the head gasket and a bunch of other stuff. I get it back yesterday after shelling out $1200 and later that evening, it started doing the EXACT FUCKING THING I BROUGHT IT IN FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE.

So i guess it's pretty obvious that those guys don't know what the hell is wrong with it because they seem to be fixing everything else but the problem, but now i'm invested w/ those guys for some serious coin. I can take it somewhere else, but frankly i can't afford any more work on it and i feel those guys owe me. I've already spent a 3rd of what i paid for the car in the first place.

So i guess my questions are:
1) what the hell is wrong w/ my car
2) what kind of recourse do i have w/ the mechanics in this situation. Am i at the point where i can pretty much demand that they fix it for free?
busyface
Sounds like they've taken you for a ride. Check engine light comes on when there is something wrong with your emmisions sensors. Probably just an EGR valve or a vaccum problem. Usually a very easy fix.
lusting_kay
QUOTE(mfk @ Sep 21 2007, 09:49 AM) *

So I've got this 2001 Honda Accord 5 speed. A couple weeks ago, a check engine light came on and it started acting funny. When I'd get up to about 3000 RPMs in either first or 2nd gear, the car would start 'hiccupping" until i shifted to 3rd. I brought it to my mechanic and a week and $500 labor, i get it back and it's doing the same thing. So i bring it back and they do a a shitload of work on it, changing belts, replacing the head gasket and a bunch of other stuff. I get it back yesterday after shelling out $1200 and later that evening, it started doing the EXACT FUCKING THING I BROUGHT IT IN FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE.

So i guess it's pretty obvious that those guys don't know what the hell is wrong with it because they seem to be fixing everything else but the problem, but now i'm invested w/ those guys for some serious coin. I can take it somewhere else, but frankly i can't afford any more work on it and i feel those guys owe me. I've already spent a 3rd of what i paid for the car in the first place.

2) what kind of recourse do i have w/ the mechanics in this situation. Am i at the point where i can pretty much demand that they fix it for free?

replaced the fucking HEAD gasket?!

First question...is the check engine light still on?

My initial thought would be fuel starvation, whether it be a fuel pump or something stupid like a fuel filter or even an o2 sensor. I have an OBD II scanner if you still have the light.
mfk
QUOTE(busyface @ Sep 21 2007, 10:02 AM) *

Sounds like they've taken you for a ride. Check engine light comes on when there is something wrong with your emmisions sensors. Probably just an EGR valve or a vaccum problem. Usually a very easy fix.

well that doesn't explain why the car stutters when i hit 3000 rpms in 1st and 2nd gear. I thought emissions too.
But the car actually starts driving funny when the light comes on
busyface
QUOTE(mfk @ Sep 21 2007, 10:09 AM) *

well that doesn't explain why the car stutters when i hit 3000 rpms in 1st and 2nd gear. I thought emissions too.
But the car actually starts driving funny when the light comes on

I think LK is probably closer with a fuel problem.
Col. H. D. Sanders
Does the car smell funny when this happens?
Jason Halogen
QUOTE(Col. H. D. Sanders @ Sep 21 2007, 10:45 AM) *

King's car always smells funny. It's all the Mexican.
mfk
QUOTE(Col. H. D. Sanders @ Sep 21 2007, 10:45 AM) *

actually yeah it does. It's hard to tell because it smells like greasemonkey from being in the shop for a few weeks but it smells "hot" if that makes any sense
lusting_kay
QUOTE(mfk @ Sep 21 2007, 11:16 AM) *

actually yeah it does. It's hard to tell because it smells like greasemonkey from being in the shop for a few weeks but it smells "hot" if that makes any sense

Lean condition baby!

do you still have a check engine light on?
Harvey Mushman
They replaced the head gasket?!
What?!?!
Without seeing or hearing the car its tough to say.
A clogged injector?
Speed sensor?
Throttle position switch?
Cam Sensor?
Even a temp seensor can do that.
Is the light still on?
I'd have someone read the cars computer, the fault codes that come will be an indication of what's wrong.
The nimrods that did a head gasket should've known to do that.
I'd say small claims court is an option.
mfk
QUOTE(lusting_kay @ Sep 21 2007, 11:34 AM) *

Lean condition baby!

do you still have a check engine light on?

yeah. it was off for a while, but came back on just before it started hiccupping when i'd hit 3K rpms in 1st and 2nd
Bluestreak
Sounds like fuel or vacuum line starvation.

I'd hit it with the ODB II to get the CEL code, then hit the garage with a small claims suit.
mgorman
Yeah, small claims. Do it. You'll feel better.
Stewmeat
Computer issue, 100%.
lusting_kay
mfk...if you want to come to the blackstone valley with it, I have an OBD II scanner so you can at least know what code you are tripping.
Boston redneck

Actually check engine lights can be very difficult to fix if you just check the code and do what it says is wrong. Lots of times it will say something is wrong like the O2 sensor, but thats not always the problem.

And this ladies and gentlemen is why you bring your car to a dealer. Diagnosis is getting to the point where an average mechanic will be lost and though the dealer might charge $10.00 more or so an hour, you will get it fixed right or if it's not right the rest of the repair is on the tech and you won't have to pay for anything else.
Bluestreak
QUOTE(Boston redneck @ Sep 21 2007, 07:49 PM) *

Actually check engine lights can be very difficult to fix if you just check the code and do what it says is wrong. Lots of times it will say something is wrong like the O2 sensor, but thats not always the problem.

And this ladies and gentlemen is why you bring your car to a dealer. Diagnosis is getting to the point where an average mechanic will be lost and though the dealer might charge $10.00 more or so an hour, you will get it fixed right or if it's not right the rest of the repair is on the tech and you won't have to pay for anything else.

What the fuck flavor of KoolAid did you drink?
Seriously -- once the CEL is thrown, and you get a good access port to read the code, it's really not that hard to find out what the problem is, and how to fix it.
If you want to throw $500 bucks at a mechanic, go right the hell ahead.
I'd rather spend $600 bucks on the ODBII and do the work myself, like I've done in the past... hell, I've even made fixes that my old mechanic couldn't figure out. All you need is the right info, and some elbow grease... and headlight fluid.

Don't bring your car to a stealership if you don't have to.
Tantra, Goddess of Flight

Yeah, it's usually simple, like my engine light goes on every time it rains and my car bucks whenever I shift for the simple reason that I need a tune up and new plug wires. But it could be a vacuum hose (very easy to fix). And yeah, they probably have fleeced you.
capn
If the car is hiccuping in low gears but runs smooth once in third or fourth could be the transmission. I've had a transmission go on a '98 Old Intrique at 45,000 miles, well past warrantee, most mechanics don't want to go there because ultimately the transmission needs to be replaced and then you're talking $1500-$2000. Sorry for the bad news.
capn
Let me amend my last post, since I just re-read your post and you have manual transmission which I didn't realize. Fortunately tranny work on manual transmission cars is not as serious. I would have them check there though.
Flipper
QUOTE(mfk @ Sep 21 2007, 09:49 AM) *

Four cylinder Honda engnies almost never blow head gaskets, (I mean like, never unless someone has abused the fuck out of it) and belt changing is (or should be) a standard maint. service that wouldn't cause the symptoms of which you speak. You had the mistfortune of taking your car to an asshole who doesn't have clue #1 about car diagnostics, and will subsequently throw parts at a problem like this (but really, even given this, a head gasket makes ZERO fucking sense) until they luck out and fix it, or you go away and bring your car somewhere else.
Assuming it's an 01 with the 2.2 engine (and possibly Cali emissions tuning) it's almost for sure an oxygen sensor. If it does has Cali emissions, then it's got a heated 02 up on bank 1, and it will be a lot more money than it would for a car with Fed emissions.
You got hosed, and you should absolutely take this asshole to smail claims court. Out of curiousity, which garage did you take you car to ? I could probably tell you right off the bat whether it's someone who does this shit all the time (I'm sure it is anyway).

And Redneck is absolutely right in advising NON do-it-yourselfers with strangeish car symptoms to take their car to a dealer. They have all the most up to date diagnostic equipment, and you probably would have been looking at around $500 total to actually fix this problem, vs. $1700 just get ass fucked. A jerk off mechanic like this probably does just fine changing oil, a simple tune up, or maybe doing brakes (maybe) but when it comes to shit like this, caveat emptor to the fucking nth degree.

Sorry to hear about this.
You know What I'm Sayin
Shady shady mechanic you are dealing with. Sorry to hear.

This also sounds like you could be having a misfire. New plugs / cap could potentially do the trick if that is infact the case. good luck. Whoever it was that offered to read the error code your car is sending...you should take them up on it.
Dook of Oil
QUOTE(Flipper @ Sep 22 2007, 03:21 PM) *

Four cylinder Honda engnies almost never blow head gaskets, (I mean like, never unless someone has abused the fuck out of it) and belt changing is (or should be) a standard maint. service that wouldn't cause the symptoms of which you speak. You had the mistfortune of taking your car to an asshole who doesn't have clue #1 about car diagnostics, and will subsequently throw parts at a problem like this (but really, even given this, a head gasket makes ZERO fucking sense) until they luck out and fix it, or you go away and bring your car somewhere else.
Assuming it's an 01 with the 2.2 engine (and possibly Cali emissions tuning) it's almost for sure an oxygen sensor. If it does has Cali emissions, then it's got a heated 02 up on bank 1, and it will be a lot more money than it would for a car with Fed emissions.
You got hosed, and you should absolutely take this asshole to smail claims court. Out of curiousity, which garage did you take you car to ? I could probably tell you right off the bat whether it's someone who does this shit all the time (I'm sure it is anyway).

And Redneck is absolutely right in advising NON do-it-yourselfers with strangeish car symptoms to take their car to a dealer. They have all the most up to date diagnostic equipment, and you probably would have been looking at around $500 total to actually fix this problem, vs. $1700 just get ass fucked. A jerk off mechanic like this probably does just fine changing oil, a simple tune up, or maybe doing brakes (maybe) but when it comes to shit like this, caveat emptor to the fucking nth degree.

Sorry to hear about this.

I was going to say it sounds electrical to me. Like a wire or coil is breaking down, especially where it happens at the same rpm.

I am guessing the guy changed the TIMING belt for $500 bones - the head gasket is a tough one....although when he says it "smells like heat" the guy could have taken it to mean smells like anti-freeze.

People give dealerships crap but for serious most electronic/diagnostic issues - you are better using a dealer than a mechanic.

Also, buy American you Nip supporting turncoat.
mfk
QUOTE(TheUnloved @ Sep 24 2007, 12:06 PM) *

Also, buy American you Nip supporting turncoat.

laughing.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif

Well i bought it used from an American buddy of mine. Does that count?
Flipper

Wow, Dook really hit the ole trifecta with that last post.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.