Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: your alma mater
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
lusting_kay
here is mine smile.gif

http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/2006/01/w...ers-go-bad.html

ps...click on the link, its about ASU, not michigan
JodyThePig
UC Santa Cruz is set on a heavily wooded hilltop above the city.

It's a really beautiful piece of property (some locals refer to UCSC as "Uncle Charlie's Summer Camp") and it allows you to check out the surf from school, so you know whether or not it's worthwhile to cut class.

Viewed from on high and/or on drugs:

IPB Image
luca brazzi
graduating and never having to go back.
dimenno
That it wasn't made of anti-matter.
terrydactyl
that its in Lowell, assuring me that ill never see it again
Defbil
I went to UMass/Amherst. Despite the shithead jocks and stuff, it's a beautiful campus, and big enough that it just about has it all. Also, it has consistently resisted the move to a dry campus, which I applaud for non-boozehound reasons.
lusting_kay
QUOTE(Defbil @ Sep 20 2007, 02:04 PM) *

I went to UMass/Amherst. Despite the shithead jocks and stuff, it's a beautiful campus, and big enough that it just about has it all. Also, it has consistently resisted the move to a dry campus, which I applaud for non-boozehound reasons.

not to mention antonios pizza.
Defbil
QUOTE(lusting_kay @ Sep 20 2007, 02:23 PM) *

not to mention antonios pizza.

There was an instance in which I threw a piece of pizza at someone there. And did not at all regret doing it.

Great food, but damn there were times where it was a collection of absolute dicks.

Also, I was a bigger fan of Bueno y Sano.
sixpinelbow
SUNY Fredonia.

In the middle of nowhere, good drugs, cheap beer and lots of bored slutty girls from Long Island.
anatomicallyincorrect
IPB Image
luca brazzi
QUOTE(anatomicallyincorrect @ Sep 20 2007, 02:37 PM) *

IPB Image

yeah, that's the joint.
Thunder Horse
QUOTE(Defbil @ Sep 20 2007, 02:33 PM) *

Also, I was a bigger fan of Bueno y Sano.

i graduated from UMass-Amherst in 1998 --- i loved Bueno y Sano !!
i'd usually buy two burritos and save one for later biggrin.gif
John D
"Alma Matter"?

Skipped Latin, eh my fellow Pioneer?

Alas, I did not.

Collegium Sanctae Crucis
lusting_kay
QUOTE(John D @ Sep 20 2007, 02:56 PM) *

"Alma Matter"?

Skipped Latin, eh my fellow Pioneer?

Alas, I did not.

Collegium Sanctae Crucis

I don't want to 'date' you or anything...buuuut...they stopped offering it by the time I got there smile.gif

Now when are we having our Chili cookoff!?
Defbil
QUOTE(Thunder Horse @ Sep 20 2007, 02:51 PM) *

i graduated from UMass-Amherst in 1998 --- i loved Bueno y Sano !!
i'd usually buy two burritos and save one for later biggrin.gif

I graduated in '96 but lived out there through '98. If you ever worked at Mullins Center I probably knew of you and/or wrote your paycheck.

Thunder Horse
QUOTE(Defbil @ Sep 20 2007, 03:13 PM) *

I graduated in '96 but lived out there through '98. If you ever worked at Mullins Center I probably knew of you and/or wrote your paycheck.

i worked at the library the first two years, but i think those paychecks were printed in a different building ?

i got fired from the library for... getting caught reading books on the job huh.gif
lusting_kay
QUOTE(Thunder Horse @ Sep 20 2007, 03:46 PM) *

i worked at the library the first two years, but i think those paychecks were printed in a different building ?

i got fired from the library for... getting caught reading books on the job huh.gif

that is some funny shit
Thunder Horse
QUOTE(lusting_kay @ Sep 20 2007, 04:19 PM) *

that is some funny shit

people were selling drugs out of their study rooms, having sex in the bathrooms, smoking weed in the stairwells, but they caught me reading books on the job on more than one occassion and fired me for having "bad work ethic"

then again, they were right, look at how much time i waste on here
John D
QUOTE(lusting_kay @ Sep 20 2007, 03:10 PM) *

I don't want to 'date' you or anything...buuuut...they stopped offering it by the time I got there smile.gif

Ouch. Fucking barbarians.

Mmmm chili. Must discuss further.
Indyrockgrl69
IPB Image
Lebanon Valley College in Annville PA

I love rural PA. I loved how small the school is and I loved most of the students there.
Dave K.
QUOTE(Indyrockgrl69 @ Sep 20 2007, 04:36 PM) *

I loved most of the students there.

How did you love them?

Are you a legend there?
guest_bob
saint anselm college

pros = not a big sports school or frat school, monks for profs were great especially if you're studying classical philosophy and literature ...it was a school geared for the olde tymey disciplines, which I was way into - and I had very awesome profs all around and loved what I studied. A++ food. Umm .. lots of woodlands around for youthful merrymaking. lots of parties and cliche college hoo-ha.

cons = super strict catholic monks as profs ... some were bastards of an abscure nature...and I wasn't catholic so it was weird. very small ...too small. located in New Hampshire....minutes from Manchester. Lots of small minded white folks accustomed to and inclined toward nothing but other small minded white folks. underground "frats" ...though they were mostly laughable. they kicked people out like it was their job .. very strict academically and like 20 of my friends droppe dout, failed out or were kicked out. I lived off campus from my soph. year on so the strictness for me was mostly experienced on the academic side ...which was alright I guess.

junkstar
Emerson. I loved being older and wiser, and of having my own apartment, a good job on the side, a non-Emerson girlfriend and working on Metrowave during its last year & 1/2.
Defbil
QUOTE(Thunder Horse @ Sep 20 2007, 03:46 PM) *

laughing.gif laughing.gif

QUOTE(Thunder Horse @ Sep 20 2007, 04:26 PM) *

people were selling drugs out of their study rooms, having sex in the bathrooms, smoking weed in the stairwells, but they caught me reading books on the job on more than one occassion and fired me for having "bad work ethic"

then again, they were right, look at how much time i waste on here

Yeah- Mullins Center was run by a private (and 100% evil) company for the state.
The 2nd knock on my dorm room door when I moved in Freshman year was from a dude who introduced himself and said "I live in room whatever- I got anything you need, and can get more"
tenebr8
My alma mater, Union College in Scumtown (aka Schenectady), NY, sucked, because it did absolutely nothing to arrest my rampant drinking, drug abuse, and wanton (and frequently semi-conscious) fornication. I think I can safely blame everything that has happened to me since then on the college I went to. And my parents! Yeah, them too! They should have fucking stopped me! I will never donate to the Union College Alumni Fund, no matter how rich I may become in the future.
TOPPER
QUOTE(anatomicallyincorrect @ Sep 20 2007, 02:37 PM) *

IPB Image

Yup, BC is the shit, my era, R.I.P. Steve Trapilo.
TOPPER
QUOTE(tenebr8 @ Sep 20 2007, 10:37 PM) *

My alma mater, Union College in Scumtown (aka Schenectady), NY, sucked, because it did absolutely nothing to arrest my rampant drinking, drug abuse, and wanton (and frequently semi-conscious) fornication. I think I can safely blame everything that has happened to me since then on the college I went to. And my parents! Yeah, them too! They should have fucking stopped me! I will never donate to the Union College Alumni Fund, no matter how rich I may become in the future.

Not only are you a pussy, but you're a cheap fuck, too.
Tantra, Goddess of Flight
Pine Manor College, '89 (I was on the 5 year plan).

Pro: small classes, gorgeous campus.

Con: full of shallow rich chicks (at the time) who had been on drugs all through prep school. In retrospect, it was kind of amusing.
TOPPER
QUOTE(Tantra, Goddess of Flight @ Sep 20 2007, 11:12 PM) *

Pine Manor College, '89 (I was on the 5 year plan).

Pro: small classes, gorgeous campus.

Con: full of shallow rich chicks (at the time) who had been on drugs all through prep school. In retrospect, it was kind of amusing.

A/k/a Pine Mattress?
Tantra, Goddess of Flight
QUOTE(TOPPER @ Sep 20 2007, 11:14 PM) *

A/k/a Pine Mattress?

Um, yeah.
tenebr8
QUOTE(TOPPER @ Sep 20 2007, 10:48 PM) *

Not only are you a pussy, but you're a cheap fuck, too.

Way to pick up on the sarcasm, lawyer-boy. I guess practicing law 24/7 makes you immune to the subtleties of the English language. You lose 5 points.
anatomicallyincorrect

A/k/a Pine Mattress?

aka Pine Manure
anatomicallyincorrect
QUOTE(guest_bob @ Sep 20 2007, 05:00 PM) *
saint anselm college

A good friend of mine is an alum and coaching the FB team there.
Jack
University of Chicago

Pro: I'm pretty good at Trivial Pursuits
Con: I hated every fucking minute that passed there. When the donations collectors call I say "No, but if someone decides to fund an effort to destroy the place so thoroughly that no trace remains of a building, and eradicate every mention of the place in any book, I'll donate some money to that."

The only thing uglier than the students was the south side of Chicago itself. 2/1 guys to girls, and the place is a magnet for ugly nerds. I got stuck there by a tragic mistake, but I stubbornly refused to leave until I had their fucking diploma, so I could go on rants like this.
guest_bob
QUOTE(anatomicallyincorrect @ Sep 21 2007, 06:36 AM) *

A good friend of mine is an alum and coaching the FB team there.

well he needs to pick up the slack post haste! I think they're like 1-29 over the last few years. it must be tough to coach there.

but we did beat notre dame in like 1938! our all-time record vs. ND is 1-0. woo!

anatomicallyincorrect
QUOTE(guest_bob @ Sep 21 2007, 08:59 AM) *

well he needs to pick up the slack post haste! I think they're like 1-29 over the last few years. it must be tough to coach there.

but we did beat notre dame in like 1938! our all-time record vs. ND is 1-0. woo!

They've lost 21 in a row. Playing Pace down in NY tomorrow.

Defbil
Another thing I loved about UMass-Amherst- I feel like I got a great education (that place really is what you make of it) and had tremendous opportunities while I was there, and my entire education cost about the same as 1 to 1 1/2 years at BU.
TYR
The thing that I loved most about BU (especially years later) is that my friends in college came from all corners of the world, and are now scattered all over the place, but we all keep in touch as much as we can. It's nice having a place to stay in Johannesburg, if I ever choose to go there. wink.gif
DJKyttyn

OMG - can i participate in this? i have a kickass chili recipe...

my undergrad alma mater - Lehigh U, Bethlehem PA. i loved the fact that my class was about 3:1 guys to girls winkiss.gif it wasn't the best school for biology, but i lucked out and found an ichthyologist and a comparative anatomy prof who were helpful, friendly, smart, and inspiring. Also, i loved the fact that the band was a bunch of hard drinking, fun loving nuts like myself. it was the first time i ever felt like i fit in anywhere. And the campus was BEAUTIFUL after an ice storm, which happened pretty often.

my grad alma mater - U of Louisiana, Lafayette, LA. Conversely, this was an AWESOME school for biology, full of exceptional professors and fellow students. Since i was just taking classes i was interested in, rather than "requirements," i actually retained a lot more stuff i learned there, and found it was really easy to do so. Also, i got academic credit for learning SCUBA and self defense, the only classes i had to take last quarter while writing my thesis. And the experience of living someplace so far culturally removed from where i grew up was very enlightening - everyone should spend some time living someplace totally different from where they were raised.
Old Bay

12/7 Hotel Vernon? I am dead serious. This would be one hell of a good time.
cooleyo
QUOTE(Old Bay @ Sep 21 2007, 05:38 PM) *

12/7 Hotel Vernon? I am dead serious. This would be one hell of a good time.

as long as none of the actual cooking is done there, that is. wink.gif
even still i may have sort of a hard time eating there. just sayin'.
Old Bay
QUOTE(cooleyo @ Sep 21 2007, 06:39 PM) *

as long as none of the actual cooking is done there, that is. wink.gif
even still i may have sort of a hard time eating there. just sayin'.

The Ship Room is spotless and ummm, if I have eaten at the Emerald Isle...
cooleyo
QUOTE(Old Bay @ Sep 21 2007, 10:53 PM) *

The Ship Room is spotless and ummm, if I have eaten at the Emerald Isle...

SHNAP!

although the EI kitchen is spotless as well. so ok good, count me in for the chili cookout!
dood you missed some serious ridiculousness at some bar in CT tonight, Flock of A-holes+a bucnh of people still still actually living in the 80s (including Flat Top)=good times. I woulda texted you but Cram put my phone in Portuguese & i cant figure out how to fix it...HELP!

ps might be a litle hammered right now,not gonne lie
ShempTheOtherStooge

A/k/a Pine Mattress?

Good times! I remember a headline in the Heights after the BC women's basketball team won a game against the "other" women's college in the area..

"BC Mounts Ida again!"

My apartment Jr year was within walking distance of the Mount. A six of rolling rock and a joint or two would provide more entertainment than a college student deserved.
swid
QUOTE(guest_bob @ Sep 20 2007, 05:00 PM) *

saint anselm college

pros = not a big sports school or frat school, monks for profs were great especially if you're studying classical philosophy and literature ...it was a school geared for the olde tymey disciplines, which I was way into - and I had very awesome profs all around and loved what I studied. A++ food. Umm .. lots of woodlands around for youthful merrymaking. lots of parties and cliche college hoo-ha.

cons = super strict catholic monks as profs ... some were bastards of an abscure nature...and I wasn't catholic so it was weird. very small ...too small. located in New Hampshire....minutes from Manchester. Lots of small minded white folks accustomed to and inclined toward nothing but other small minded white folks. underground "frats" ...though they were mostly laughable. they kicked people out like it was their job .. very strict academically and like 20 of my friends droppe dout, failed out or were kicked out. I lived off campus from my soph. year on so the strictness for me was mostly experienced on the academic side ...which was alright I guess.

Hey, me, too! Looks like I graduated the year after you. I lived at home for the duration, though ('cause it was cheaper), so I wasn't particularly social, nor did I take in much at campus outside of classes. Pretty much any waking moment I wasn't in class, I was working or playing in my band at the time. As far as pros I agree. Cons. . . It's funny -- it didn't strike me as that small-minded at the time because it was still so much better than high school for me. The one bummer was that the student body really wasn't into music or the arts in general.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.