Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After Dark Horrorfest movies on FEARNet
The Noise Boston > The Noise Board > Open Forum
RJC
They've been featuring the Horrorfest movies (minus the Snoop Dogg, The Abandoned and Dark Ride movies, none of which I've seen) on HD on the FEARNet channel. I'd been wanting to catch them all and figured I'd check them out, see what all the fuss was about.

I'm still waiting to see what the fuss was all about.

With a few exceptions, what a crapfest.

The Gravedancers: This one wasn't too bad. The zombified axemurderer girl creeped me the fuck out. An OK ending.

Penny Dreadful: Indeed it was. Mimi Rogers should have known better. Half of this movie was a snoozefest, the other half with cliche' after cliche' (couple making out in the woods, followed by her going "Hello? Are you out there?" and getting killed 5 seconds later). I was rooting for the killer by this point.

Unrest: I actually liked this one. They claim it was the first movie to use real cadavers, the girl was a hottie and there were definitely some cringeworthy moments in this one.

Reincarnation: It was OK, definitely had its moments but could have been much better. Some creepy moments. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood to watch it though....

The Hamiltons: My favorite out of the bunch, a very brilliantly done movie. It's not quite a horror movie, not quite a drama, it's....something else, or both. The ending is a real kicker too, very thought-provoking movie. Definitely recommend this one.

Wicked Little Things: GREAT premise, had so much potential but became laughable (and a bit dull) about a 1/3 of the way in. Good example of a movie that could have been great given the setting and storyline but turned into a joke of a horror film.

I'd heard there was another bonus movie called The Tripper but was only shown on the Horrorfest release day. Did anyone see it?

I guess they're gearing up for Horrorfest 2007 in November, with new movies....

David Lee Darth
BOO!

Skeered ya didn't I?
(x)
QUOTE(RJC @ Aug 28 2007, 10:44 AM) *

The Hamiltons: My favorite out of the bunch, a very brilliantly done movie. It's not quite a horror movie, not quite a drama, it's....something else, or both. The ending is a real kicker too, very thought-provoking movie. Definitely recommend this one.

Is that still on there? Sounds pretty cool.
RJC
All the movies are on there through at least this weekend (in HD which is nice too, especially as it's free). I was watching Wicked Little Things last night and it said it was available until 9/15/2007 so may be even a bit longer.
(x)
Weird, I didn't notice that this weekend. I'll check tonight.

Not related but I watched One Missed Call on Sunday. It was good but I didn't understand the ending. Anybody see that?
RJC
I think I saw the Japanese version "Chakushin ari" a while back...I didn't get it either. They're remaking it into an American film next year.
David Lee Darth
Strangely I have been watching 'The Cave' over & over again, why? I have no idea, so I could be intrigued to watch some indie horror stuff I haven't seen.
(x)
QUOTE(RJC @ Aug 28 2007, 11:05 AM) *

I think I saw the Japanese version "Chakushin ari" a while back...I didn't get it either. They're remaking it into an American film next year.

Maybe the American one will tell me why she was holding a knife at the end.
RJC
QUOTE((x) @ Aug 28 2007, 02:08 PM) *

Maybe the American one will tell me why she was holding a knife at the end.

Here's the end of the movie, according to Wikipedia (SPOILERS):

"Yumi has showered and while drying her hair, she doesn't notice that her clock is going backwards. It resumes normally when it reaches the time when Yumi was supposed to die. Yumi hears Hiroshi at her door, asking if she's OK. Yumi runs to the door, but realizes that it sounds like Hiroshi's voice on repeat. He keeps asking her if she's OK. Yumi, getting over her phobia of looking through small holes, notices Mimiko standing there. Yumi moves out of the way just in time to avoid getting impaled by a sharp metal object. She goes to her living room where she finds Mimiko sitting on her couch, eating candy. Yumi asks, "Why...?" which appeared to be Mimiko's cue. She slowly comes toward Yumi, who then screams in horror.

Hiroshi bursts into Yumi's apartment to find Yumi sitting on her couch, reading a magazine. She looks up at Hiroshi in puzzlement. He asks her if she's OK and she goes to him saying that she's fine. He hugs her and then looks down to see blood dripping on the floor. Yumi has stabbed him in the stomach. He falls to the floor and looks into the mirror to see not Yumi's reflection, but Mimiko. Mimiko has possessed Yumi's body.

Hiroshi blacks out and has a dream that he is at the Mizunuma apartment and finds a barely-breathing Mimiko on the floor. He holds the little girl and administers the inhaler medication. He wakes up in a hospital to find Yumi standing nearby. She goes over to him, holding a large kitchen knife. She leans down and drops a red candy ball from her mouth into his. Hiroshi is shown to hesitate, to which Yumi responds by steadying her grip on the knife. He eats it and Yumi looks down at him smiling: presumably, his refusal to accept it - with Yumi implicitly possessed by Mimiko - would have spelled his death."

Yeah, I still don't get it.
(x)
QUOTE(RJC @ Aug 28 2007, 02:21 PM) *

Yeah, I still don't get it.

Yeah, me either. The rest of the movie was really good, too bad they kind of botched the ending (imo).
(x)
The Hamiltons was pretty awesome.
tenebr8
I've been meaning to check these out, but my Bible (Rue Morgue magazine) hasn't been all that favorable towards them, except for The Hamiltons. I guess I'll start there, and take my chances on the rest.
RJC
QUOTE(tenebr8 @ Aug 28 2007, 09:49 PM) *

I've been meaning to check these out, but my Bible (Rue Morgue magazine) hasn't been all that favorable towards them, except for The Hamiltons. I guess I'll start there, and take my chances on the rest.

Unrest was probably the second favorite for me. Reincarnation and Gravedancers had their good moments.

Don't bother with Penny Dreadful, and especially don't bother with Wicked Little Things.

I'm torrenting The Abandoned and Dark Ride (and the Tripper) and will hopefully get to check those out tomorrow.
RJC
QUOTE(RJC @ Aug 29 2007, 12:35 AM) *

Unrest was probably the second favorite for me. Reincarnation and Gravedancers had their good moments.

Don't bother with Penny Dreadful, and especially don't bother with Wicked Little Things.

I'm torrenting The Abandoned and Dark Ride (and the Tripper) and will hopefully get to check those out tomorrow.

Watched The Abandoned last night.

Chalk this movie right up there with The Hamiltons as the favorites of 2006 Horrorfest. What an absolutely brilliant and CREEPY movie, done right. Watch these two. What a great haunted house movie.

Watching The Dark Ride tonight.
tenebr8
QUOTE(RJC @ Sep 10 2007, 05:05 PM) *

Chalk this movie right up there with The Hamiltons as the favorites of 2006 Horrorfest. What an absolutely brilliant and CREEPY movie, done right. Watch these two. What a great haunted house movie.

Cool-- The Abandoned will be my next rental.
Jack
I just hate FearNet. Too many interuptions.
RJC
QUOTE(Jack @ Sep 10 2007, 08:15 PM) *

I just hate FearNet. Too many interuptions.

How so? Are you talking about the occassional pop-up?
RJC
QUOTE(tenebr8 @ Sep 10 2007, 05:51 PM) *

Cool-- The Abandoned will be my next rental.

Dark Ride: A fun slasher flick that is updated but with an 80's feel (think Scream meets Funhouse). Not much substance but this isn't the type of film if you're looking for substance. My one complaint about the movie is that it took too long to get revved up....Features Meadow Soprano and the grown-up fat freckled kid from The Sandlot and Son In Law.
MikeG
I saw several of those movies, and for the most part, they're horribly predictable, as if copied and pasted directly out of 4 million other horror movies. Except, these have the added bonus of looking like they were shot by high school students on their handicams.

The only enjoyable part of any of them was Dark Ride, when the hot blonde girl whipped out her extaordinairily nice rack.
RJC
I think I've seen them all (with the exception of Snoop Dogg's House of Horror, which I don't think I'll bother with) and Tripper, which was a rare one shown only in select theaters on the first night. Will watch Tripper sometime this week.
tenebr8
QUOTE(RJC @ Sep 10 2007, 05:05 PM) *

I have to add my props for The Abandoned. Watched it back-to-back with Robert Wise's The Haunting-- killer double bill. The Hamiltons will be next. I'm awaiting your thoughts on Dark Ride, but the trailer looks mighty tempting.
RJC
Dark Ride: Think Scream meets Funhouse. Fun Slasher flick, features Meadow Soprano and the fat freckled grown up kid from The Sandlot and Son In Law. Mindless fun.
tenebr8
I'm late to the party as usual, but I can now officially state that The Hamiltons fucking rules.
RJC
Glad you liked it. See what I mean about it being hard to classify as a horror film and/or drama?

I only got into about 10 minutes of The Tripper so far. Put it this way: directed by David Arquette. Stars him, Courtney Cox, Jason Mewes, and Paul Reubens.

It may turn out to be a nightmarish train wreck or a cheesefest of genius proportions. Time will tell, though I'm leaning towards the former.
tenebr8
RJC- I know it seems like I'm following in your footsteps, but I want to see all of these flicks, and the only way I can see them is by renting them. Just finished "Dark Ride," and it was exactly as you said-- shut off the brain and watch a pretty damn well-done slasher flick. The killer is seriously creepy, the babes are hot, and it is made quite clear that these idiots are being killed BECAUSE THEY SMOKE POT! A fun time.

So far, I'd have to say The Abandoned is my favorite, followed very closely by The Hamiltons. I think Gravedancers will be my next rent.
RJC
The Gravedancers was OK, kinda botched the end but still a good watch nonetheless. That ax-wielding zombie girl really creeped me out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.